Writing articles about stamps-- a project

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by ScandinavianStamps, Nov 4, 2012.

1. ScandinavianStamps

ScandinavianStamps New Member

Aside from collecting stamps, one of my interests (or passions?) is to help promote the stamp collecting hobby. I believe one of the best ways we can "secure the future" of philatelics is to put stamp collecting in front of "general" audiences, as something interesting and worthwhile to collect.

I'm a writer by trade (not generally about stamps, however, aside from a blog) and recently finished my first attempt at a stamp collecting article targeted at a "general audience"-- a fairly modest beginning covering a little bit about how stamps came about, along with some history and the development of stamp collecting. It's fairly "light and fluffy," but please keep in mind-- ESPECIALLY if you're an advanced collector(!)-- that existing stamp collectors are not actually the primary target audience; I'm writing to someone who's "marginally aware" of stamp collecting, or who perhaps collected as a child and might feel inspired to resume the hobby.

This is a "working" version at this time, posted to a web site where it is "public" and gets traffic, but I can still modify, add and subtract things before a "hard" publication. My hope is to write a whole group of "introductory" articles about different aspects/angles of (introductory) stamp collecting-- and with a bit of luck get one or two published in non-philatelic magazines. A tough sell? Maybe... but it's worth a try, I think

Stamp Collecting: The Rise & Fall... and Rebirth of the World's Greatest Hobby

Feedback is welcome and invited!

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

2. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I had visited your site and it was very informative.
    Nice to see rare stamps in your posts and know more about them. ;)

3. ScandinavianStamps

ScandinavianStamps New Member

Zararina, thanks for the nice comment and feedback!

~Peter

4. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Welcome! More articles to come... ;)

5. James

James New Member

Well it's great to see you are doing proper promotion of stamp collecting and I think every one of us should follow you! I just read the article and it's really informative one and it's surly gives more clear-cut idea to people who are not much in stamp collecting.

Thanks for sharing the article.

Draft saved Draft deleted