World War 2 Stamps

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by domaintalk, Nov 16, 2012.

1. domaintalk

domaintalk Member

Does anyone know how to prove that the stamps are real things and 5 stamps are a set?

View attachment 3239

2. desertgem

desertgem Active Member

I am fairly sure they are real, as they are fairly common. It is a set if you are associating them with the services of WW2 within the 1945-46 commemoratives. But I would add #940, Honorable discharge to it to make my set.

Jim

Peter T Davis likes this.
  3. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

They were not issued as a set, but were issued over a period of several months to commemorate the service of the various branch of the US war department (at the time) for their respective contributions in WW II.

Too many printed and in circulation to make forgeries of them impractical.

4. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I currently cannot view the stamp photo (not sure if it was just my problem). :p
    Using catalogs could give details regarding the stamp or the set.

5. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

I have decided to terminate my American stamp collection with WWII, just like I did with my German stamps.
    It seems to me that after that the big business of stamp collecting then kicked in and the result was a general devaluation.
    What do the rest of you think?

6. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I do have German stamps into the '70's and some corner clipping more recent, but I agree that a lot of the real modern stuff is just "wallpaper". I stopped my U.S. collection at 2000 because of my dissatisfaction with the new peal and stick stamps that are a bugger to get the glue off of. My general interest in old stuff makes the older stamps more attractive anyway.

7. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

Fortunately the commemoratives in GB are still gummed. If you ever fancy getting some of them, you have a contact in England now; don't you?

8. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Yes, tu7 I will let you know.

Draft saved Draft deleted