Why is stamp considered a nerdy hobby?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by derailed, May 26, 2014.

1. derailed

derailed Active Member

I mean, in any movie in which there's a nerd, he's also collecting stamps. I've also got called a nerd a few time before, but didn't really mind it. But I think some people do, and that's not okay.

Is it because most of the collectors have an interest in history and culture? Or because they know a lot of information about their stamps? What do you think about it?

2. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Member

I think it is because stamp collecting is an individual thing rather than a social one. If you look at the younger people who collect stamps, they often got into the hobby because they weren't interested in sports or other "cool" activities.

Collecting is an activity that anyone can do and there are people from all aspects if life collecting stamps, but for the nerds, it may have been the only hobby and the one thing that stuck to them. If you engage in many different activities, you may be defined by any or all of them but when you only have one - that is it.

Steve Robinson likes this.
  3. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I have not been called a nerd for collecting stamps, but I remember a friend tell me that I am really a weird person because of that. :p
    I think it's because very few are having this hobby especially here.

4. derailed

derailed Active Member

I agree. Well, I guess it's more because it is a "non-cool" activity, nor a common one (like zararina said). But anything that's a bit odd is better. It's about doing what you like after all.

5. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Possibly because for the most part it is a solitary thing, sure there are clubs mut most collectors simply go there own way :)

6. zararina

Yes, and very rare that there are clubs for stamp collectors. Like here, I am not aware if there is any. :p

7. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

8. CalzoneManiac

CalzoneManiac Member

Maybe once they get a hold of famous people collecting stamps, they'll realize that stamp collecting is actually cool.

9. zararina

10. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Aren't all hobbies considered nerdy?

11. rainydaystamps

rainydaystamps New Member

I suspect it's because most of us who collect stamps are kind of, well, how can I say it ....... nerdy. Not me though, I'm quite edgy. :)

12. zararina

Edgy buy nerdy, cool! :p

Draft saved Draft deleted