Who I am - New Member

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SATX Collector, Dec 12, 2014.

1. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

I am a 59 year old male working in San Antonio as a factory operations manager - my background is Electronics Engineering. I have recently been selected to set up a 'maquila' facility in Reynosa which will be like a 4th homecoming: I have lived in the RGV 3 other times in my life and continue to get stationed there. And I am NOT complaining!!

Married... Wife in Tennessee where she is about to retire with 30 years in State Govt. She will share time with me in the Valley as well as traveling.

I have been a stamp collector/trader for the most of 30 years... I also do coins but not to the extent of the stamp collections... I have a multitude of them and also writing a book on specific topics.

I am an inventor as well and have a couple of products that I am finalizing with another partner for introduction in the 2015 - 2016 time frame.

2. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Welcome aboard! San Antonio is my favorite city in Texas, loved visiting there. What kind of focus do you have with your stamp collection?

3. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Welcome. Enjoy your time here. San Antonio is on my short list of places to retire. Really like the place.

4. SATX Collector

I have a number of different groups that I am working on... my current interests are Mint 4-Corner PB's of which I have a few hundred I am organizing into custom pages I am laying out. Still 'playing' with the designs, page borders, etc so just putting everything in mounts and doing an inventory which is LONG overdue... at last count I have over 7600 items in my spreadsheet and I have at least that many more to go before I tackle 3 sets of albums that I have going.

I also had a couple of friends donate a couple of boxes of stuff (I paid some part of the costs) and I have also purchased a couple of small collections from others so I still have a lot to do. My goal is to write some code that will use the spreadsheet as a lookup table and also to attach photos to the database... maybe I will commercialize that at some time in the near future because what I have seen on the market lately falls short of a true database at a reasonable cost.

5. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Welcome to the forum and nice to know that you and your wife will stay together soon. :)
    Sounds that you really have lots of collection and nice for sharing about those in here.

6. palaniappan

palaniappan Member

welcome satx collector, good to meet a fellow collector, who is also a innovator. I also make stamp album pages, i design two monthly magazine, one for coin called coin treasure magazine, the other one for stamps called stamp treasure magazine based in India. The magazines are in print multi colour editions of A5 size printed at home on 70 gsm paper. I have very good subscriber base in India for the coin treasure magazine, which is 4 years old and the stamp treasure magazine which is about a year old.

I also publish small pocket size A 6 coin and stamp catalogs meant for collectors. The catalogs, never mention any market price or bullion rate, just the coin type, the dimensions of the coin and also year of minting, with mint marks.

I just leave the price to the buyer and the seller, as i do not want to hype the prices of some normal coins.

I am in the process of making a A6 stamp catalog for India stamps from 1947 to 2014. Here also, i will not specify any prices, but they will have images of all stamps, also color variations would be listed. Even scott, gibbons, michel catalogs, do not show all the images of stamps and also variations.

warm wishes.

SATX Collector likes this.
  7. SATX Collector

A VERY worthwhile endeavor for sure. I have a few India stamps in my collection but Asia is not one of my strong holdings (other than the Commonwealth stamps from Australia, New Zealand, and thereabouts). I imagine the printing of the catalogues takes up some time.

I am familiar with the cities of Kochi, Bangalore, and Chennai... I spent some time there in the 2005 - 2006 years setting up a manufacturing plant for a client of mine. We also went to the tea planations and animal preserves in Tamil Nadu... my hosts were wonderful.

Best wishes and stay in touch... maybe post a couple of pages of one of your printings so all can see??

8. SATX Collector

Updating my reply... reviewed your page and looked at the link for stamps. I will definitely send a note via snail mail. Also reviewed your catalog posting there... impressive:D!!

You mentioned asking first before donating stamps... I have a lot of duplicates (also 20's and 30's :happy: ) that I can send in my request at no cost but I understand aobut the customs folks (I do a lot of 'back and forth' with Mexico and China) so tell me the secret and I will get them to you. I normally send 'samples' to China for example.

Look for my note after the first of the year, and again: thanks for all.

9. palaniappan

palaniappan Member

Thanks satx collector, i will be waiting for your snail mail cover.

warm wishes.

10. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Sooo . . . relative to the plate blocks, are you just looking for plate blocks of 4 stamps each, or are you trying to complete the four separate corners (each with a distinctive plate number) for the large sheet printings before they're cut? Either way, I may be able to help you out. Over the years, I've accumulated several hundred (maybe more than a thousand) plate blocks (spares / muliples of each in many cases) and even when there was a semi-active stamp club in the area, no one was interested in plt blks.

Selection mostly starts with the WW II 3 cent-ers, and most are from the 40's, 50's, and 60's, with smattering up thru current. Let me know if you have any interest. I've got them all 'glassined' by Scott number in a couple of file card boxes, so working against a Scott want list wouldn't be a problem. Let me know if you're interested. Willing to find them a good home for $0.05-0.10 over face value.

SATX Collector likes this.
  11. SATX Collector

Most DEFINITELY interested at that price... plus postage of course.

I have most of mine catalogued already by Scott # and will go back through and list position: UL, UR, LL, LR by plate number (yes, 4 corners of 4 stamps). If you have yours already catalogued as well, it would be a simple matter of matching plate #'s with position. Either I can tell you what I already have or you can tell me what you have available.

Or if that is too much work, we can do something like paying for a couple hundred at a time and returning the ones I don't need towards credit on the next couple of hundred, whatever is best for you.

12. SATX Collector

Larry:

Haven't heard a response from this post yet so will make you the 'deal of a lifetime': I have a LOT of PB's, but not a lot of 4-corner completions. Take each value (3c, 4c, etc) and break them down to face value + 10c... total each and post to face value... for example 3c - $45, 4c = $120, etc.

Send me that list... I will most likely offer to buy the whole lot (of EVERYTHING you have) regardless of PB#. I will do this as I can turn around and sell/trade the rest of them with other folks I deal with... currently I have no less than 6 sellers I am negotiating with, but you have a (potentially) very attractive price for a large volume.

Would say more but I don't want to tell too much on this forum... give me a private email and I will 'fill you in' on my position...

Draft saved Draft deleted