Where to find stamp sizes

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by EddieRich, May 26, 2015.

1. EddieRich

EddieRich New Member

I have been searching for days trying to find stamp sizes.
    Every other possible parameter (including perf sizes) seem to be listed in the catalogs and on web pages, but the actual size ( width and height ) are never mentioned.

Is there any database online that gives the actual size of stamps. It would be helpful to know when ordering stamps so I can order the mounts at the same time.

2. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Best Answer
    Hello Eddie, the previously mentioned showgard guides are perfect if you collect US stamps or you have the stamp to hand to measure.

As a very rough guide is to count the perforations H or V then add 1. Multiply this by 1.75 this will give you a mount dimension in millimetres with a 3 mm border.

Experiment with existing stamps and adjust the multiplier to get closer to your requirements.

This will not work for peel & stick stamps or 10-11 perf stamps. Alternately find a similar stamp in your collection and measure it.

James

SATX Collector likes this.
  3. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I know of no database. There are a couple of helpful links for sizing U.S. stamps that I did find.

http://www.ihobb.com/c/SHOWGARD_MOUNTFINDER.html
    http://www.showgard.com/size_guides.cfm

4. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Best Answer
    Hello Eddie, the previously mentioned showgard guides are perfect if you collect US stamps or you have the stamp to hand to measure.

As a very rough guide is to count the perforations H or V then add 1. Multiply this by 1.75 this will give you a mount dimension in millimetres with a 3 mm border.

Experiment with existing stamps and adjust the multiplier to get closer to your requirements.

This will not work for peel & stick stamps or 10-11 perf stamps. Alternately find a similar stamp in your collection and measure it.

James

SATX Collector likes this.
  5. EddieRich

EddieRich New Member

I never thought of counting the perfs.
    If I know the size of the perfs, then I should be able to get a "close enough" measurement of the stamp.

Thanks James

James-2489 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted