Where do you get your stamps from?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by derailed, May 23, 2014.

1. derailed

derailed Active Member

I buy mine from different local websites, and from post offices. There was also a stamp shop in my area, but they closed it (which is awful, because they got quality stamps there).

Could you recommend me some sites? I want to search for some certain stamps which I can't find in my area.

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I get most of my stamps at shows these days. I have a number of shows that I attend each year and usually get a reminder postcard from the promoters. Getting new issues directly from the post office is a good way to get them, cutting out any middle man. Here's a link to Linn's Stamp News "zillions of stamps" link that is a virtual marketplace where lot's of dealers participate. It is found on Linn's under the "marketplace" tab hitting the buy/sell tab.

http://www.linns.com/
    http://www.zillionsofstamps.com/

3. I am very new to stamp collecting, but the stamps that I have looked into are mainly on Ebay.com and through the post office. I have heard of zillionsofstamps and have considered looking through there.

4. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Depends. Stamp shows for country collections; dealers breaking up albums by country; those and hi-value/expensive US.

USPS for min, both locally and thru the Philatelic fulfillment center in Kansas City.

www.stamps2go.com for specific stamps by catalog #

5. derailed

derailed Active Member

Well, seems like zillionofstamps is an useful site. I wonder if there's any country they haven't got any stamps from. Thanks for the useful links!

6. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I have not tried buying online since i have doubts that I would not receive it just like my other missing mails. I usually buy stamps on bookstores and collector's shops.

7. derailed

derailed Active Member

Well, I've had issues like this before. But then I started shopping online even more and learned to spot the differences between a trusted site and an unsafe one. Now I buy almost all my things from the internet.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  8. zararina

It is not just about the sites. I do not know the real reason why some mails are not reaching me. It could be the mail service where it came from or the mail service here. :p

9. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I have
    I have used the zillionofstamps site a couple of times and had good experiences. Most of the dealers on the site are regular advertisers in the Linns Stamp News weekly and can ill afford a "bad rap" when it comes to sales. I know some of the postal services around the globe are not as reliable as the USPS so I get Zararina's point.

10. derailed

derailed Active Member

Well, or the site may be unsafe. I suggest you to be more careful with the sites you buy stuff from. I've had bad experiences in the past, and I hope you won't experience them as well.

11. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Ebay/delcampe/ebid, Royal mail, French post office, WOPA, Falkland Islands post office. A lot will of course depend were you live and what you collect

Hochstrasse likes this.
  12. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

About 75% of my purchases are made online. The rest come from stamp shows and stamp club sales circuits.

Don

Steve Robinson likes this.
  13. derailed

derailed Active Member

I see. Well, it's easier to find what you're looking for online. Unfortunately, you can never be 100% sure of its quality.

14. Steve Robinson

That is always the chance you do take with buying on line. WOPA is a good one if you are looking for new Issues (And in some cases old) at face value as you have a number of Issuing authorities selling direct through this site. Here is a link have a peek :happy:

http://www.wopa-stamps.com/

15. zararina

Visited the link Steve R. Thanks. :)

16. Steve Robinson

I find them very useful for my Gib collection :)

17. derailed

derailed Active Member

Nice, very nice. Well, as long as it's a "trusted" site, it's good. I see they have many interesting stamps, and I'm considering buying some. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted