Where do you buy new stamps from?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by derailed, Apr 27, 2014.

1. derailed

derailed Active Member

Since the local stamp shop has been closed, I have to go to the one located outside the city. It's kind of annoying, as the weather is not always nice, and I have to go there by bus (full of grumpy old people). It would be great if they opened up an online shop.

What about you?

2. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

If I'm buying (as opposed to trading), I usually look at Ebay first. Stamp shows are nice too, but if you're looking for something specific Ebay is usually the quickest way to find it.

3. derailed

derailed Active Member

Yes, I know it, but the shipping to my country is very, very expensive. Like, 10o USD. I generally shop on eBay for expensive stuff, so I could get free shipping.

4. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Yes, shipping fees can be quite prohibitive, especially for small orders. Have you tried trading?

5. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I like buying some old and used stamps on a collectors shop here located inside a mall.

6. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Member

If they are new stamps, why the post office of course!

Seriously, I like EBay and stamp shows. While there are a couple of stamp shops in town, they are sitting in some pricey real estate and they have prices to match. I will often browse at the stamp shop and then check online for the price I can get on the same item. I have yet to return to the shop to make an actual purchase.

7. derailed

derailed Active Member

Yup, I've traded some stamps before via some kind of auction sites from my country. But the stamps I've received were very bad quality, so never did it again after that unfortunate experience.

8. Steverd

Steverd Member

I get my NEW stamps from the USPS. They have a great catalog for current stamps and you get them at face value!! Otherwise, I find Ebay is usually cheaper than Mystic and other places.

9. stampdad

stampdad Member

I always check yard sales ,estate sales ,etc. Ive found some of my best treasures this way , last year I bought a collection in 2 boxes and a grocery bag for 50.00 $

10. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I once bought a pack of stamps from an antique shops and it was really a good buy. but going back there, they told me they stopped selling stamps.

11. mark.pogi

mark.pogi New Member

For me, ebay is the most convenient place to buy stamps. I have also favorite seller where I get my items.

12. LindaKay

LindaKay Member

Yep -- for new stamps, I definitely head to the Post Office. It's actually surprising the nice selection that they have there.

Other than that, I pretty much have to buy stamps online. There aren't any stores around here that sell collectible stamps. There is one store over an hour away, but I hate driving to that city because I don't really know my way around, and the traffic is atrocious.

13. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

New stamps well for me that would be GB/France/Gibraltar/Finland/India. The French/India are only mini sheets and they come from long time trading partners, the GB from the post office, The Gibraltar I normally buy from WOPA (Good source for face value stamps with quite a few countries on offer) Finland is a mix of trade from a long time partner, ebay/ebid/delcampe/WOPA I will also pick stuff up at shows. My other collections British/French commonwealths are from the sites mentioned

Draft saved Draft deleted