WHERE CAN I FIND EARLY U.S. STAMP LOTS AT LOW PRICES?

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by stamps673, Mar 19, 2013.

1. stamps673

stamps673 New Member

where can i find early u.s. stamp lots at low prices? such as 19th and early 20th century used mixed lots of lower value stamps. i have not seen much in the way of early u.s. mixed stamp lots offered on the web or by mail order and ebay has nothing but overpriced and overgraded stamps. i only see higher prices on low value early u.s. stamps sold per stamp.

2. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

I would have a look on Ebay. A lot of stamp dealers will use the Collections and Lots section on Ebay to liquidate excess stock, especially lower grade stamps. Yes, you do find some on Ebay that is overpriced and overgraded, but if you look you can find some nice deals when collections are sold in a single lot.

3. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I think a good place to find stamps is at philatelic auctions, large estate auctioneers and mail bid auctions. I am on several email lists for estate auctions and lots of stamps are often sold at deep discounts there, lots of ebay sellers use this route for inventory. Dealers attend philatelic auctions to find collections and lots to break down for retail sales. I bought my first 2 carton lot at one for $300 dollars. In the back of Linn's Stamp News is a section for mail bid sales. Send a few of them a letter expressing interest in their sales and they will periodically send a catalog as long you show an interest. I got many nice stamps at reasonable prices using that venue. Good luck!

4. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

There are some antique shops here where bunch of old stamps are sold inexpensively but it is usually true for common stamps (not sure if that is also the case in the US).
    Maybe try looking on garage sales as I had read some stories that they had bought lots of old stamp albums on garage sales on low prices since those sellers are not aware of its real prices in the market as they just acquire it from someone or just found it on their attics. :)

5. ursell

ursell Member

Thanks for the information. To help me find old stamps. This forum is very
    helpful.

zararina likes this.
  6. basmae

basmae New Member

Ebay is the way to go!

7. Lokin4AReason

Lokin4AReason New Member

or you can try a few shops or events around town

Hochstrasse likes this.
  8. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder New Member

eBay is a good option, but honestly, I would be very wary to spend a lot there as there are already a few fake stamps being sold. I would only buy there if I really know the seller or if I have made a few good transactions with him already.

You may want to check out the museums in your local area. Most of the time, they have a souvenir shop and you would find a few good pieces there. If they do an auction, then you are sure that those are original and it would be all worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted