What's This Stamp Collection Worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth?' started by estatesalesantiques, May 19, 2014.

1. estatesalesantiques

estatesalesantiques New Member

Here are some coins from a stamp collection my company owns. We purchased it from someone who wasn't interested anymore. We have absolutely no clue as to the value of stamps. There are, I'm guessing, 700+ stamps in the collection and they are all organized. I reached in, and pulled out a few from one of many bags. Here's a photo... if you could tell me what you think: (Now remember there could be a rare, and valuable stamp in his collection, but I am not personally into stamp "collecting" so I am unsure which ones are and are not valuable) Thanks! IMG_1658.JPG

2. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Nothing earth shaking in the picture of the posted stamps. The top half are all cancelled and can be obtained for anything from $0.03 - maybe $0.40 in a grab box on a dealer table at a stamp show.

The lower half appear to be mint, but I can't tell how they might be attached to the paper. My initial guess is that someone licked and stuck them to the page with the original gum. At that point, they could be soaked off in water, dried, them mucilage'd to an envelope for makeup postage (2 per) for the 41 cent stamps. Even if they were hinged, they'd still be worth no more than makeup postage. It'd be a literal pain in the butt for anyone but another collector with a surplus of 37 (+3) or 41 cent (+2) stamps to use them as postage.

Sorry to disappoint.

For US stamps in general (no pun intended), some of the Washington series stamps (1900-1920) may be worth something depending on perforations, printing type, or watermarks or if there are hi-values (> 3 cents). Otherwise, it's not until you get into stamps issued before 1900 that any stamp will hold much value. Exceptions are things like: early $ denominated stamps, the White Plains sheet, Farley special printings, recalled Legends of the West sheet, Graf Zepplin airmail, mint stamps issued before 1920.

For foreign stamps, specialized countries like Hawaii (was a country before it was a state), maybe the Canal Zone, or some of the defunct countries like Danzig or Saar or Newfoundland (now covered by Canada) may have some value.

3. tmbits

tmbits New Member

GREAT info Larry! I really can't wait to get my pics up here. I'm sure I have the $1M stamp! NOT! But I would desperately enjoy hearing all of you and others insights. Man this forum has seriously kicked up my interest again! Honestly I feel like I was 12 again! Thanks you guys are really awesome in your sincerity and interest!

I forgot, until I read your assessment Larry, just how many things there are to consider in evaluating a stamp! It boggles the mind to be honest!

And estatesalesantiques, I have some similar to what you posted. Regardless of high or low value...they are lovely stamps!! Thanks for sharing these!

4. derailed

derailed Active Member

You really know how to analyze stamps! You have my respects, Larry. I'm also considering posting a pic of my collection so you could give your opinion on it.

Steve Robinson and tmbits like this.
  5. CalzoneManiac

CalzoneManiac Member

That 4c no triangle stamp might sell for $2 or $2.50, as for the odd-value prexies, idk.

6. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

When you say you "reached in"... Are they loose, in a bag or shoe box? Rule of thumb is if 99% of them are minimal value then the other 1% most likely are also, unless that other loose 1% stands out by being in a protective mount, card ect then you may have a better chance at a higher value stamp. Don't get me wrong, that's certainly not always the case, and I am a huge fan of buying loose or "messy" collections with the hopes of finding a diamond in the ruff. What's discouraging is that most collectors (especially with higher value stamps) know what they have and what they paid for and probably wouldn't mix rare or high value stamps in a bag or box with others of minimal value. I certainly would not let that be disheartening. There are always different scenarios as of why someone has a collection for sale. Maybe they found it in a storage locker and just threw them in a box all mixed together or maybe it was left to them by a loved one and the collector left no notes of value. I have found a few little treasures that if I would have bought knowingly would have cost a very pretty penny. Sooner or later I'm sure the chances will lay in your favor whatever the case.

7. Meruem

Meruem New Member

I believe that it's actually maybe a little bit less, but that's the average indeed..

8. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

If those stamps are common most probably that would cost less than a dollar or bit more of its face value.

9. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

To all:

I am an avid collector of just about any stamp series and country that exists... post on my personal inbox if interested in getting rid of your stamps.

Draft saved Draft deleted