What's the rarest stamp in your collection?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by nightarcher, Aug 7, 2012.

1. nightarcher

nightarcher New Member

I'm wondering what your rarest stamp is. I'm still fairly new to stamp collecting, so most of the ones in my collection aren't that rare at all, and I'm also not too familiar with what the rarest stamps are.

2. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Not sure. Rarest or most expensive? I have what I believe to be a US Scott #128 (have not had it expertised - yet). If it were to be that stamp and for it's condition (well-centered, all perfs intact, light cancellation, no thins) it would catalog somewhere between $2-3k. Otherwise, I guess it would be my US Graf Zepplin set. The 'desire' for the Zepplin set no doubt drives the price more than for the #128.

3. MarginBlocks

MarginBlocks New Member

The USA Riverboats strip of 5, a self-adhesive pane of 20 32-cent stamps with special interrupted die cuts, issued in 1995. Only about 8000 panes were sold by Kansas City for about a month. I own three full panes and have never separated them into strips of blocks.

I have a few USA press sheets that have special features, and many of the print runs on press sheets are very low.

4. Nostalgia

Nostalgia New Member

wow that is very impressive! My collection is still in the works as I am rebuilding. I havent had anything looked at by an expert yet but Im assuming I have some pretty common stuff so far.

5. Mrs. Emelda Senegal

Mrs. Emelda Senegal New Member

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...f.&fp=4c4e4dd9cacdc02d&ion=1&biw=1440&bih=755

My most rare stamp has to be my 1841 letter express strip of three 5 cent Goddess of Commerce black on pink glazed paper
    $ 10,000+ My second has to be inverted surcharge First Peking Junk stamp. my third has to be my New Zealand Chalon Vermillion
    orange one penny stamp mint water marked with star. No cancel fresh (rare) $18,000+ cat. Inverted cent error 10 cent Italy block of 4 lightly canceled. etc....

6. bickerstonehall

bickerstonehall Moderator Moderator

Rare. Not sure how rare, but a Victorian Penny Black. The first stamp and I guess the start of stamp collecting.

7. stilb

stilb New Member

The Penny Black was printed over 68 million times Bickers, but it is still a lovely stamp to own for the reason you state.

8. ScandinavianStamps

ScandinavianStamps New Member

Not sure, really. My rarest item is not necessarily a rare stamp, but rare because of the postmark-- it's a Sweden Facit no. 26 (50 öre red circle type, perf 14-- normally about a £25 stamp), but has the only known example of a cancel from a tiny, long gone village in Sweden. Given how popular cancel and "home district" collecting is in Sweden, its market value is probably about 15,000 Swedish kr. at auction.

~Peter

9. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

10. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I have a double error U.S. Scott #467 in a block of 12 with both errors MNH. It is purported to be "rare".

11. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

I have a Victorian £5 Orange

12. Hochstrasse

That's a great stamp tu7!

13. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I am quite sure that my US and UK stamps are fairly common since these stamps are quite new, and not sure if I would have a local (Philippines) stamp that might be rare. :)

14. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

I don't own anything I'd consider "rare" but wanted to poke everyone who does to add pictures. :)

15. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

Peter?!! You want to poke me? [teasing]

16. zararina

Yes, it will be great to see photos here of the rare stamps of the members. :D

17. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

Go first then?

18. zararina

As I first state tu7, the stamps on my collections are fairly new and common. :D

19. Hochstrasse

I have a collection of fairly common stamps that I collect that have different town cancels. I am trying to get as many cancels of the regional post offices as I can. These are among my favorite stamps. It isn't always about value that draws my interest and I am sure that you have many interesting stamps. Although I don't have a topical collection, I find some of the modern topical stamp collections fascinating.

20. zararina

Just like you, I also do not have any specific preference as I collect any stamp I could have.

One of my favorite stamps' topic is animals such as below. :)

http://www.stampexchange.com/gallery/album/28-animals/

Hochstrasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted