What Stamp Albums Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Philbeaux, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Philbeaux

Philbeaux Member

Just curious as too what albums you guys use.
    I myself am using Bill Steiner's Downloadable pages and am, for the most part satisfied.

2. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

I'm using Mystic's Hingeless albums with stock books being used for my extras.

3. Air Cav

Air Cav New Member

4. Koundrel

Koundrel New Member

Davo mainly and SG

5. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I am just using the common stock books.

6. Philbeaux

Philbeaux Member

Does anybody even use albums anymore?

7. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I have several albums I use: for my U.S. collection I use Scott National and Minkus and for my Germany collection I use both Scott and Lighthouse albums. I have created my own album pages using Microsoft Word and adopting a 3 ring binder format for them. It's nice to have flexibility in designing pages around the stamps and it sure is a lot cheaper than buying albums.

8. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello, My British collection is in Stanley Gibbons Albums. For my smaller collections 500 + stamps I originally used 4 ring binders but found these to be less than perfect. In about 1990 I bought myself a comb binding machine for about £20 with combs up to 50mm (2") which could theoretically hold 425 pages. I halve this number for one sided stamp mounting or interleaving pages.
    I would use a 50 page comb for 500 stamps, Say 25 pages of 20 stamps.
    My pages were printed from wordperfect or lotus 123 until I changed to MS Office.
    Some of the advantages of comb binders is that you can use a laminated photoprint for the cover(s) and they lay perfectly flat when open. Tearout is unheard of.
    My collecting books are stockbooks.
    James

Gunny likes this.
  9. Philbeaux

Philbeaux Member

I have only recently begun putting my stamps in an album (or rather albums) and like I said, I've been using Bill Steiner's pages from stampalbums.com, printing them on acid-free 32-lb paper from Hammermill. Then I put the pages in regular black D-ring binders.
    Right now it works for me, but with any album, there are shortcomings.
    My "collection" is still about 98% still in boxes and envelopes and my struggle has been to mold it into some form of organization.

10. James-2489

Hello, for those of us who use metric paper weights. 32 lb paper is about 120 gsm or 0.155mm thick. IE 100 sheets equals 15.5mm thick.
    James

11. Philbeaux

Philbeaux Member

Thanks James.
    Consider me metrically-challenged.

12. James-2489

Sorry Phil, from your avatar I assumed that you were a Brit? I had not seen paper listed in lbs since I was at school 50 odd years ago.
    James.

13. Philbeaux

Philbeaux Member

No James, American through and through.
    I collect Machins and had that pic from scan on my my blog.
    Thought it would make a good avatar - especially on a stamp collecting forum.

14. FitzjamesHorse

FitzjamesHorse Active Member

My first album was a Trusty "schoolkid" album with a picture of the River Thames on the front.
    Occasionally a copy appears on ebay and I will make a bid some day. Nostalgia factor.
    My Irish Collection is housed in Stanley Gibbons loose leaf albums...Senator Medium. Prior to 2001 (when I gave up collecting until 2012) the albums are Black.
    But there are only two colours available now (green and red) and since 2012, I have bought Green Senator Medium. I suppose this is appropriate in the case of Ireland and also means Black is for Ireland 20th Century and Green 21st Century.
    A red "Selby" Medium album houses North Ireland regional stamps, propaganda stamps and stamps on Irish themes issued by other countries.
    The rest of the world....two Black Tower Albums Standard size by Gibbons.
    OR seven Black Binders of "medium" pages cut to A4 size and each page put in a "A4 Poly Pocket" and into a Binder. Increasingly I use A4 size "sketch pad" pages (Drawing Paper is stronger than Copy Paper).

The Seven Binders....are "European Union", Rest of Europe, "Dead" Countries, Oceania, Asia, Africa and Americas.

15. James-2489

Hello John, There's a Trusty album on EBay today 99p + p/p no bids yet.
    eBay item number: 391164097496 . River Thames and Tower bridge on cover.
    James.

16. FitzjamesHorse

FitzjamesHorse Active Member

17. tasha

tasha Active Member

I have recently changed my albums to frames with a lot of my stamps in their categories and it makes me feel a little better to know what they are on a wall in a sheltered glass case where they wont get damaged again.

18. Philbeaux

Philbeaux Member

That's a pretty cool idea. I've thought about that, but just putting up a few complete sets.

19. tasha

tasha Active Member

Yes I don't have too many up but four or five and they each have a select group of stamps in them, one is travel stamps, other is South African stamps, floral and presidential. oh yes four frames with those collections in them and they look unusual and people always comment on them when they visit. Luckily nobody can touch them!!

20. tasha

tasha Active Member

There are so many good ideas here and tempting to try a few different ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted