What motivates you to seek a particular stamp?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by SamClemensMT, Oct 30, 2014.

1. SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT New Member

I'm just getting back into stamp collecting these days, so I'm just curious about what drives the market for stamps these days. Please give me at least three factors if you can. Thanks!

2. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Some might like to fill the spaces on their collection.
    Others just want a specific stamp that they like to acquire as much as they can.
    While others want to trade or do business with stamps.

3. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

1. Trying to acquire as complete a collection of a given country as much as possible?

2. Personally, I'm trying to hit the 100,000 foreign stamps in the 30+ Minkus Global albums. USA stamps is a whole 'nother series of collections (mint, used, plate blocks, sheets).

3. Like putting a jig saw puzzle together, it's completing a set or filling the last blank on an album page.

4. I sure don't do it as an investment to make money. Take a loss on every purchase, but make it up in volume?

5. It's relaxing enjoyment on those cold winter nights when the fireplace is stoked up in a warm room.

Hochstrasse and zararina like this.
  4. tasha

tasha Active Member

I love searching for rare and unique items especially from long ago. It is worth something to have if it is a piece of History.
    Naturally if it is worth enough, you can sell it or trade too.

5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I have to say both Tasha and Larry have taken the words out of my mouth. The historical aspects of the stamps and covers I choose to collect seem to play a more important role in my collection as time goes by. The completion of a page or a series still motivates me, but not as it once did.

6. Seetoo

Seetoo Member

What motivates me is the artwork on the stamp, the historical background, and just liking to create a collection book because it reminds me of scrapbooking. I like putting things together, scraps of paper to create a whole, cohesive piece. Collecting stamps gives me that same type of vibe.

7. tasha

tasha Active Member

Absolutely! History is incredible and I am fascinated with it, the more I can get my hands on the better. I love the stamps because they tell a story throughout the years and it is interesting to see what happened so many years ago. I would be very interested to see a stamp from the Vatican City when it first came about, what it looked like and where it was sent.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  8. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

The Vatican didn't issue postage stamps until 1929. I'm not sure if this is the first stamp or not, but it did come out in 1929 and heads the pages of some albums. The first Vatican stamps probably went to every corner of the globe, wherever Catholic members exist.

zararina likes this.
  9. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

This is still a very neat looking for a classic stamp, nice.

10. tasha

tasha Active Member

Thank you for this! Hope you dont mind but I copied the page to have a close look at the stamp. I havent actually seen one and of course it would go to wherever they had catholics all over the world. I did not expect it to look like this and would have thought that it would have a bit of gold around it.

Hochstrasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted