What do you think could have been commemorated on a U.S. postage stamp in 2014?

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by CalzoneManiac, May 11, 2014.

1. CalzoneManiac

CalzoneManiac Member

I think that an issue for the 50th anniversary of the introduction of "The Beatles" on the Ed Sullivan show would be acceptable. What would you think?

Philactica likes this.
  2. derailed

derailed Active Member

I agree with you. Well, as I'm a big Pantera lover, I would say the 20 years anniversary of Far Beyond Driven, but I know that not everyone is into them.

3. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I think a Beatles stamps would have been nice too, but for me even though our entry wasn't until 1917 a stamp remembering the First World War one hundred years later is a gross omission.

4. derailed

derailed Active Member

I totally forgot about the 100 years "anniversary" (black humour, eh?) of the First World War. I know, I'm an ignorant person, sorry for this. And thanks for your reminder.

5. Hochstrasse

Loved your idea about the Beatles, but don't think you are only one who doesn't correlate 1914 and 2014 and certainly that is no reflection on "smarts". :)

6. CalzoneManiac

CalzoneManiac Member

The closest thing they've ever gotten to showing the Beatles in the U.S. was that Yellow Submarine stamp from the 1960s Celebrate the Century stamp set (Scott 3188o)

Hochstrasse likes this.
  7. Hochstrasse

Yes, I remember that stamp as I did collect the whole series of those Celebrate the Century sheetlets. It would have nice to have Ed Sullivan with the "boys" on a postage stamp since we did get a Jimmy Hendrix stamp this year.
    [​IMG]

8. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I am not that familiar with the US events but I would love to see more historical places or things than people on commemorative stamps.

9. derailed

derailed Active Member

That Stamp is beautiful! Do you know where to get it? I want it in my album, now.

10. Hochstrasse

11. derailed

derailed Active Member

12. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

The U.S. post office department missed a significant centennial anniversary for 2014. On August 15, 1914, the Panama Canal opened for ship traffic after a decade of construction. A monumental engineering achievement at the time and still an essential aid to world shipping.

13. Having a series of stamps for The Beatles would have been such an awesome tribute and collection. I would love to see a series of any musicians that have stood out among the rest, really. The Jimi Hendrix stamp looks so psychedelic and I would have loved to have it in my collection.

14. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

2007 UK issue of the Beatles

2007 Beatles.jpg

zararina likes this.
  15. zararina

It was a nice colorful sheet. :)

Steve Robinson likes this.
  16. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

http://worldhistoryproject.org/1914

A decent reminder of events for every year... Note Tarzan, Babe Ruth, Wrigley's Field (though there is a stamp on one of the sheets for this, it is not a historically dated issue)...

17. zararina

Very useful link, thanks for sharing. :)

18. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Even though the Europeans did it, I thought that landing on a comet was pretty fascinating. I don't see anything wrong with an American stamp commemorating something another country has done.

Also, the world record for the highest free-fall parachute jump was pretty amazing (no, not the Felix Baumgartner) hyped one.

SATX Collector likes this.
  19. darehare

darehare New Member

Some ideas for would-be 2014 stamps: 100th anniversary of Wrigley Field, St. Louis' 250th anniversary, 50th anniversary of the Mustang. For 2015: Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson's ascent of Dawn Wall at Half Dome.

20. zararina

I also think that it was just okay that several countries will be commemorating same events, that will be a cool thing since there are variations of stamps that one can collect, if he or she is after the specific commemorated event. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted