What do YOU do?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Jim Shaver, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Active Member

Hi all,
    I've expanded my collection from Greenland to Denmark. I'm collecting the engraved issues which started in 1933, lots of plate flaws,shades,varieties and fun. :)
    Here's the problem. I make my own pages and I'm trying to decide how to handle "the Stamp" .....you know the one, that one that is so expensive that you'll never be able to afford it. In my case "the Stamp" comes in the first series of 1933. The 10 ore orange type 1 is the rarest mint stamp of Denmark.....way out of my reach. I mention it in my write up of the page, but what does one do....leave an ugly blank space forever to be unfilled? put a photo copy in its' space, or just ignore it? I MIGHT be able to afford a used copy, but my collection is mint....What do you do? :confused: The out of reach plate flaws etc are easier...just move on.
    All suggestions welcome.

cheers
    Jim

2. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Best Answer
    I LIKE Mac & Cheese... I'll help...!!:happy:

In my case, I get the cleanest and clearest example PHOTO of the 'out-of-reach' object and put it in a regular mount, just like the rest of the stamps on that page or series. I will know it is fake, and I will know when I finally get one but at least you preserve the continuity. I HATE BLANK PAGES... would rather have a facsimile than not have anything!!

James-2489 likes this.
  3. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Hi, Jim - and Happy New Year!

Certainly a common issue for stamp collectors. I guess it depends on what your personal hierarchy is for collecting. I.E. - Is it 'Denmark' or is it 'Mint.'? If it is the latter perhaps just a filler/place-holder page with an image and notation. If 'Denmark' then stock up on boxes of macs-and-cheese and buy a used copy with the most unobtrusive cancel possible. You might someday find a damaged mint at a price - but damaged stamps always make me sad.:sorry:

4. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Active Member

Happy New Year Molokai,
    Denmark is the key, but I prefer not to collect mixed...just me. In this case the mint is about $7,000 and used about $50. That's a LOT of Mac/cheese :)

5. Molokai

$7k! You'd be eating Macs-and-Cheese a long time, Jim. I just don't see how you can have it both ways, "Did you ever have to make up your mind, pick up on one and leave the other behind?" Personally at that differential I suspect you could find a very clean Used then replace it with Mint after you've had a diet of Macs-and-Cheese for a few year.;)

For me, the similar issue is what of the numerous 'specialties' I supposedly have (1861-67 1c, 1863-67 2c, Pictorials, large Banknotes, Second Bureau) to dig in deeper. Aside from books the only purchases I've made were some chess topicals Hoch pointed me to and several lots of 1c Second Bureaus I am studying for plate varieties. Hmmm...Cinderellas are looking fun to me, too! I guess I best run out and purchase a Powerball ticket.

SATX Collector likes this.
  6. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

I would just recommend leaving a blank spot for it. I came to the conclusion that there isn't anything wrong with not having a complete set/collection. The same issue is valid in the coin collecting world. I'm missing one dime in my Mercury Dime collection (1916-D). I could afford one is really bad condition, G-3 or G-4, but it would compare grade wise to the rest of the dimes in the collection.

SATX Collector likes this.
  7. SATX Collector

Best Answer
    I LIKE Mac & Cheese... I'll help...!!:happy:

In my case, I get the cleanest and clearest example PHOTO of the 'out-of-reach' object and put it in a regular mount, just like the rest of the stamps on that page or series. I will know it is fake, and I will know when I finally get one but at least you preserve the continuity. I HATE BLANK PAGES... would rather have a facsimile than not have anything!!

James-2489 likes this.
  8. SATX Collector

I also have a couple sets of Merc's missing the 1916-D: only 264,000 minted. Got to hold a Fine-12 once but the price, to your point, made me leave the hole empty...

9. SATX Collector

Guessed the same thing... the wife bought 6 and I bought 7 tickets tonight... cross your fingers, toes, nostrils, etc. $306million USD would put me well into early retirement!

10. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I think better to put a clear photocopy of the stamp than leave it blank. It will be more good looking IMO. :D

11. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Active Member

Thanks all this helps....I think that the photo-copy idea is good and it does provide "completeness" for my collection.
    I'm glad I don't collect areas like some of you that every other stamp is a "no-way" Jose.....thinking of earlier US and Britain.
    This reminds me of a series of crime fiction novels that I like where the "hero" is a hit man...who collects stamps (author Lawrence Block.) He says that stamp collecting is a pursuit that he spends hours pouring over the smallest details and making decisions (buy or not, is this centered like I want etc.) that make no difference to anyone but himself.
    We are creating something that is only for ourselves and in most cases only our heirs will know what we did with those little pieces of paper that we kept secure in their little plastic envelopes hiding in binders...and they couldn't care less or even know a type 1 or type 1A from a goose.... Man, I love stamps :playful:

12. Molokai

Indeed! And we are really just borrowing the stamps for awhile... I was looking at the auction catalog for the Elliott Coulter 1869 collection the other night. Elliott was the driving force behind the PRA 1869 research group and the 1869 Times publication. He spent a lot of time, money and effort building that collection - for himself. Then it goes to auction and is scattered to the philatelic winds for others to build their collections. As Linda Ellerbee used to sign off, "And so it goes."

13. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Makes a person wonder about the road any particular stamp travelled on it's way into someone's collection, especially an 1869 pictorial which surely sat in few collections. Lovely stamps these pictorials are.

James-2489 and SATX Collector like this.
  14. SATX Collector

Some of the auctions actually list some of the 'pedigree' of the stamp offered. But I am like the rest: stamps are collected and after the collection is disposed of (for whatever reason), it goes to the wind.

I wonder sometimes how many passionate people have touched some of the items I have... I used to write short stories when I was younger and just might again!!

James-2489 and Hochstrasse like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted