Welcome to the Stamp Exchange

Discussion in 'Announcements & Rules' started by Peter T Davis, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have any type of phot editing softwear? to resize I use the simple Microsoft office picture manager does what I need

2. Zach24

Zach24 Member

No, I don't, is there any free programs?

3. kacyds

kacyds New Member

I use Paint, that came with the computer. Does pretty much everything I need it to do.

4. Steve Robinson

Yep paint works just as well

5. Zach24

Zach24 Member

Thanks guys, will do.

6. David Youse

David Youse New Member

I vote against the last post sidebar. It takes up too much of the available screen on smaller computers. I'd also like to see it removed from CT since the same thing is pretty much available under the "Quick Links" tab. Mybe add that here.

7. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Just a short shout-out & Welcome to NEW MEMBER Ann!
    What are your Stamp interests Ann?
    Regards,
    Harry

8. tantrumstamp

tantrumstamp New Member

We are enjoying the site very much Peter, thank you for your efforts thus far. We have used the 'For Sale' section with a little early modest success and hope this has not contravened any regulations.
    Unfortunately everything we do seems to annoy an unpleasant and highly opinionated member and his remarks are growing increasingly uncomplimentary about our efforts. Rather than become involved in an issue, we prefer to bring this matter to your attention and are happy to abide by your decision.
    Once again thank you for a great site,
    sincerely

9. Steve Robinson

Perhaps if you were to give a bit more info then you woudnt have such problems :D
    1 What you hope to achieve from a sale (a guide price)
    2 SG or Scott number
    3 What your shipping charges are

Now non of these are major obsticals to you posting are they? but they would help us the potential purchasers

kacyds likes this.
  10. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

I agree with Steve R, if an item is for sale then it should have a price tag and information that we can relate to with some kind of catalogue guide (SG or Scott’s number) being the most preferable.

if you are leaving it to members to bid on it, then i feel it should be in the auction section, and all bids should be visible for all to see.

i personally joined this forum to trade and exchange rather than buy, and i feel that the arguments in the threads could put new collectors off the idea that stamps are supposed to be fun.

kacyds likes this.
  11. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

I've purposefully left the rules for the trading section blank, because I want to see how the members actually use it instead of imposing my own preconceived notions on how things should work. That approach may be frustrating to some people, but I hope that most of us here can look at it as an opportunity. Eventually, we'll have to have a set of rules, but right now I believe that we're still small enough to work together and create what type of community each one of us thinks it should become. We will know when it is time to hammer out some hard-fast rules. We'll know when its time to do that because instead of working together to resolve issues like this, people will start complaining to me, or to some moderators, or worse. So, please look at this as an opportunity to create the type of trading community you want to be a part of, instead of bickering with one another.

Sam B and Harry Golightly like this.
  12. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Hi Peter,
    Isn't it always the same... Someone (yourself) tries to do a nice thing for his like-minded hobbyist & there are always at least one or two that fowl-up the woiks!
    Hang in there, all ye that appreciate this site, & eschew those gadflies who would prove problematic.
    Cheers,
    Hg2

Sam B likes this.
  13. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

here here

14. Admiral

Admiral New Member

If there are no rules, then no one can be accused of being difficult, but without sanction, then the unpleasant will reign surely. I have briefly surfed the areas (took the site a few days to send me my confirmation email, so I have been looking around) and the impression to someone new is that the established members tend to try and shout down the newbies.
    is this the impression that everyone wants? Will it not limit recruitment? I am being difficult by asking these questions?
    I note the individual that is objected to was not mentioned and has not commented, but it does not take very long to figure out who it is. Will I get in to bother for having these opinions?

15. Admiral

Admiral New Member

It did not look like bickering to this person, it looked like bullying. Just my opinion.

16. Steve Robinson

Sorry but I have to interject here there is no bullying allowed on this site or on any of Peters other sites that is one of his rules (oh yes he has them) you might ask how I know well I am a Mod on 2 of his other sites :)
    I will also point out that the members of this forum do NOT shout down new members as this is a new site we are all fairly new to it (You claim to have seen this in a thread then please report it to Peter)
    It is expected that as a member you will treat others in the same manner that you would wish to be treated yourself, try using foul language and see how Peter reacts LOL or spamming the forum :D

17. philatelisteria

philatelisteria New Member

Spam is the use of electronic messaging systems (including most broadcast media, digital delivery systems) to send unsolicited bulk messages indiscriminately. It does not seem anyone has done that, what it does seem is that someone did complain and that Peter judged it to be bickering. Or am I unable to understand what has been written here.
    Running a web site can be a very difficult and taxing business when many individuals are involved. Maybe more thought should be given to investigation prior to judgement. Everyone seems to be opinionated without actually asking for more information.
    It is good that everyone has a voice as it were; but if it is just to hear ones own, where are the more timorous members going to end up?
    I do not know anyone on this site, but it seems to me that tanrumstamp and admiral are not actually being asked why they are less than satisfied and are just having opinions fired at them. Please feel free to disagree, I am not precious, but if you do, ask me to qualify what I beleive rather than just telling me I am wrong.

18. philatelisteria

philatelisteria New Member

p.s. the mood icons, I am worried, Admiral is pensive. these are messages from newer members !!!

Admiral likes this.
  19. Steve Robinson

Let me see if i can answer some of your points
    1 Spam is not allways electronic but quite often done by a member and yes there has all ready been a spammer on the site
    2. Tantrum was asked to post SG numbers by one member and asked (by me) to give some idea of what he/she took to be a fair price (how can you object to that if you want to sell something?)
    3. Timid members? no one stops another from voicing a concern
    4. Admiral came on to the site and posted his opinion regarding the site are we not allowed to respond?
    5. Why are you worried has some member done something to you? if so again contact Peter direct and make a complaint
    6. You accuse all of been "opinionated without actually asking for more information" yet is that not exactly what you are doing?
    7. This is a site for people to enjoy and to be honest I cant see were you or Admiral are coming from accusing members of bullying/forming cliques etc have you tried to interact with the members here?

20. shehasnoname

shehasnoname New Member

I had a spam sandwich for my lunch, does this mean I will get banned form the club? :p

Draft saved Draft deleted