Washington red 2c stamp

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Brandi Wilson, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Brandi Wilson

Brandi Wilson New Member

So I was looking up these stamps I have and I don't know if I have a type I, II, or III? I don't see any difference. Are these just common stamps or do I have anything? 20200224_121144.jpg 20200224_121210~2.jpg

2. Brandi Wilson

Brandi Wilson New Member

Here's 2 auctions that look like my stamp selling for good money. Screenshot_20200224-122259.png Screenshot_20200224-122206.png

3. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Hi Brandi:

First, let me point out that the stamps shown are not selling for good money, they are only listed for sale at that price, which may or may not be realistic and which may or may not result in a sale. You should follow the listing to its end to see what, if at all, it sells for.

Secondly, the stamps listed for sale are mint or unused, your stamp is used. Note the difference in catalog prices between mint and used. Also note that your stamp, the 2c red or pink??, appears to have a tear about about 1 o'clock (top edge upper right) which makes it less desirable to buy and more difficult to sell. This is where condition of the stamp comes into play.

As for identifying types I, II, & III, it is very difficult to tell the difference. I have been collecting stamps for over 50 years and I cannot tell the difference on many of the different types. The same for color shades, very difficult to distinguish the difference on many stamps. I don't collect 19th-century U.S. stamps so you will have to find someone who does to help with the differences here, Maybe Molokai or Hochstrasse will take over this question/answer session. The limits of my advice have been reached.

The proof of the pudding, however, would be to list your stamp on eBay as you think it is and the price you would like to have and see what happens.

If you would tell us in what city or metro area you live, one of us may be able to steer you to a reputable dealer who might advise on the value and salability of your stamps. There are very few walk-in stamp shops anymore, but who knows there may be one close to you.

Don

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Molokai likes this.
  4. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Hi Brandi:

First, let me point out that the stamps shown are not selling for good money, they are only listed for sale at that price, which may or may not be realistic and which may or may not result in a sale. You should follow the listing to its end to see what, if at all, it sells for.

Secondly, the stamps listed for sale are mint or unused, your stamp is used. Note the difference in catalog prices between mint and used. Also note that your stamp, the 2c red or pink??, appears to have a tear about about 1 o'clock (top edge upper right) which makes it less desirable to buy and more difficult to sell. This is where condition of the stamp comes into play.

As for identifying types I, II, & III, it is very difficult to tell the difference. I have been collecting stamps for over 50 years and I cannot tell the difference on many of the different types. The same for color shades, very difficult to distinguish the difference on many stamps. I don't collect 19th-century U.S. stamps so you will have to find someone who does to help with the differences here, Maybe Molokai or Hochstrasse will take over this question/answer session. The limits of my advice have been reached.

The proof of the pudding, however, would be to list your stamp on eBay as you think it is and the price you would like to have and see what happens.

If you would tell us in what city or metro area you live, one of us may be able to steer you to a reputable dealer who might advise on the value and salability of your stamps. There are very few walk-in stamp shops anymore, but who knows there may be one close to you.

Don[/QUOTE]

Sadly, on eBay there are sellers listing stamps worth a nickel or less for prices like the above - and even higher. I can tell you with certainty none of them sell.

<DON> is correct about earlier U.S. stamps - especially the definitives. VERY slight differences in perforations, color/shade, type of paper, watermark, extremely minor variations in design can make a huge difference between a worthless stamp and one valued in the hundreds or even thousands. It is all but impossible to ID such stamps without close examination. Two stamps which look exactly alike to the untrained eye may in fact be very very different with regard to value!

Keep in mind, the ones worth nothing were printed in the 100s of millions or billions, while there may be a dozen or less of the most rare of them. Ergo, your odds of having a rare one are about the same as winning the Powerball...maybe less.

That said, it can be great fun to learn about the stamps and know how to ID them. For many of us here on StampExchange it is one of the big joys of stamp collecting. It just depends whether it sounds like fun or drudgery to you.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    DonSellos likes this.
  5. Brandi Wilson

Brandi Wilson New Member

First I guess I got put into my place. Second the stamp does not have a tear. Look again.

6. Brandi Wilson

Brandi Wilson New Member

I'm done posting to message boards.

7. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Good morning @Brandi:

I suggest you try other stamp collecting forums. This one has few regular posters while some others are more active Perhaps, you can find one that better suits your needs.

Stamp Collecting Forum, https://www.stampcommunity.org/ has more members and a special forum titled You Have Inherited Some Stamps. Start Here.
    https://www.stampcommunity.org/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=57 Read the threads and if you have questions join the Stamp Collecting Forum and ask them.

Another is The Stamp Forum. https://thestampforum.boards.net/ Again, a larger number of posters, although, it is difficult to search The Stamp Forum. Friendly folks there.

A third is Stamporama. https://stamporama.com/ This one may be just what you need as it allows members to list and sell stamps without any charges.

I forgot to mention, you can also list your stamps for sale on this forum as well under FOR SALE. Give it a shot.

Best wishes for a successful sale of your stamps.

Don

8. RICHARD Babcock

RICHARD Babcock Active Member

I suggest going to the web page theswedishtiger.com stamp identifier, It shows you the different types. The one without the triangle is Scott 220 Unless it has hats on the top of either the right two or second two or both twos. Here is a pic of one with caps on the top of the twos.Foe you to compare yours with. This is scott number 220c. 220 no caps 220a 220b one cap 220c two caps on top of the twos. The other stamp you show with the triangles are determined by the lines and shading in the triangles 220c.jpg , Will be more difficult to tell the types 1,11,111. But use sweedish tiger it shows all them. Dont get discouraged it talkes years to tell the difference and is part of the fun of collecting. I should add your colour shade is likeley carmine rose, rose tends to lighten it towards the pink shade.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    DonSellos likes this.
  9. Takis Kalogerakos

Takis Kalogerakos Active Member

it means that I've made a fortune George-Washington-1732-1799-first-President-of-the-USA(1).jpg George-Washington-1732-1799-first-President-of-the-USA(1).jpg George-Washington-1732-1799-first-President-of-the-USA(2).jpg George-Washington-1732-1799-first-President-of-the-USA(3).jpg George-Washington-1732-1799-first-President-of-the-USA(2).jpg

Attached Files:

DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  10. Brandi Wilson

Brandi Wilson New Member

I don't understand why y'all are being so rude to me and then sending me elsewhere? All I did is ask a question about a stamp and that's what's this forum does most of the time doesn't it? Answer new people's questions about stamps? My dad gave me these stamps when I was 5 years old I'm 40 now I'm not selling because I haven't seen him since I was 9. I have some health issues. I was wanting to leave some things for my son before I passed on. I was just wanting to know if they have value before I left them to him. I joined this forum because I'm a supporting member of the coin forum by Peter T Davis. I thought I could find out some info about stamps here but I guess I'll have to go to another recommended stamp forum to find out info about stamps.

Draft saved Draft deleted