Washington-Franklin stamp sorting...

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by ratio411, Aug 24, 2011.

1. swish513

swish513 Active Member

i'm working on getting all the perf 11 ones with a chicago precancel. thanks to kris, who provided the majority, i have 10 so far.

2. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Glad I could help!

3. swish513

swish513 Active Member

question for you guys... i have either a 331 or a 374, but when i went to check the watermark, i couldn't see one. which one do i have? i assume because the watermark is smaller on the 374 that i found one that didn't get marked. either that, or a fake.

4. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Brant,

You definitly have a 374. On the 331 you will easily see the double line watermark. But on the Single line series, the line is so small sometimes, its very very very hard to see. So to sum it up, if you didnt see the double line watermark, than you have a 374. Hopefull this helps.

Wait to you get to some of the Washington/Franklin, and you need either a single line or no watermark. Thats when you start pulling your hair. lol :eek:

5. swish513

swish513 Active Member

so far i have been lucky that the ones i have show the single line clearly. :D

6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

That might happen! Thank you for the kind offer!

7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Here, these illustrations and pictures may help you. They helped me for sure! I got these from my good friend "Russ".
    Double line watermark (quarter sheet) layout
    [​IMG]

Example on stamps
    [​IMG]

Single line watermark (quarter sheet) layout
    [​IMG]

Example on stamps
    [​IMG]

here is the link to that information shown.
    http://www.findyourstampsvalue.com/phil_terms/watermarks.htm

8. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Great pictures. Look at the single line watermark (the last photo), the bottom right stamp, if that stamp was a single stamp, it makes it very hard to fine the watermark, esp. if there is a cancel on the stamp. :confused:

9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

indeed! That's why I have friends like you that know what they are doing!

Also, kacyds- as for your "signature" at the bottom of your posts - I have some old adult diapers lying around in case you have a repeat! ...lol :p (I couldn't resist) Hey they're the expensive ones too (Tranquility A.T.N.'s) haha..

swish513 likes this.
  10. kacyds

kacyds New Member

ha ha Theres one in every crowd..... lol :confused:

11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

That surgery part was from another sentence I was writing and got copied and pasted accidentally...sorry. I do have a surgery (last one I freakin hope) but no big deal nothing major.

13. swish513

swish513 Active Member

how do you tell a 441 from a 448 from a 486? and a 408 from a 481?

14. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I believe it all comes down to a good perf gauge and watermark.

15. swish513

swish513 Active Member

408 and 481 are both imperf, and my scott cat doesn't say if either is watermarked. 441, 448, and 486 are all perf 10 horizontal coil, and again, my scott doesn't mention a watermark.

16. kacyds

kacyds New Member

408 single line watermark
    481 unwatermarked

441 single line watermark flat plate printing
    448 single line watermark rotary press printing
    486 unwatermarked

Hopefully this helps.

17. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Brant, If you go to the beginning of this thread, look at the pictures I posted to help with the different printings and the Washington-Franklin Identifier. You might want to print it out for farther reference or ask Kenmore Stamps for a free catalog. Its in there catalog. :D

18. swish513

swish513 Active Member

BIG help, thank you! :D and i may end up printing this whole thread... :cool:

19. swish513

swish513 Active Member

i looked at the pic and totally overlooked the column that said "watermark" at the top. oops!! :oops:

kacyds likes this.
  20. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I would be a bit wary of using the lighter fluid and a plastic coffee lid as petrol products dissolves plastics. But that's pretty much how I do it anyways...lol

Draft saved Draft deleted