War time generals stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Makanudo, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Makanudo

Makanudo Well-Known Member

I find all the generals with large battle experience facinating and I am sure there are lot of such stamps out there.
    I think it may be interesting to post such stamps here and write something about them..
    Let me start it off with this Soviet stamp of Marshall Tolbuhin;

x1.jpg
    Tolbuhin, Fyodor Ivanovich (1894-1949), Marshal, Hero of the Soviet Union. In the First World War, commanded a battalion; in the October Revolution and the Civil War (1917-1920) Chief of Staff of the Division of the Red Army. In World War II he excelled in the battles of Stalingrad and the Crimea, successfully led the troops through Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary and Austria. Part of its forces took part in the final battles in Yugoslavia. After the war he was commander of the Soviet occupation forces in Austria.
    Killed by Stalin after the war.
    Tolbuhin used to have a street here in Belgrade until few years ago when he lost it to Francis Mackenzie, a person significant in history of Belgrade
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Mackenzie

2. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello all. this is from GB - Isle of Man - Depicting
    Caesar Bacon & the Duke of Wellington.
    Bacon Caesar
    (1791—1876)

Ensign in the 23rd Light Dragoons when he fought at Quatre-Bras and Waterloo. At the latter battle he was lightly wounded in two places. He afterwards rose to the rank of major, and, retiring from active service in 1818, he went to the island. He was shortly afterwards elected a member of the House of Keys, and was appointed captain of the parish of Santon and a justice of the peace.

Wellington Arthur Wellesley, Duke of (1769-1852)
    Perhaps the most famous soldier, other than Napoleon Bonaparte, to come out of the era was Arthur Wellesley. Wellesley learnt his military trade in India applying his study of the art of war, brought on by the ineptitude of his fellow officers, to practical matters in India. In 1799 he led a division at Seringapatum, made mistakes, but went on to win the battles of Argaum (1803) and Assaye (1803) when in command. A careful leader, he tried to limit casualties and became a master of the reverse-slope tactic - keeping his forces screened from artillery fire behind the brow of a hill. After his Indian service he became the Member of Parliament for Rye, then Mitchell, then Newport. Between 1807 and 1809 he was Chief Secretary for Ireland, where his Anglo-Irish family had estates, but again led a division in the campaign for Copenhagen. Made a Lieutenant-General in 1808, he went to Portugal to support that country's fight against Bonaparte. His first contact with the French was at Obidos, then the battle of Rolica ended with his enemy retreating to Vimiero where, despite being reinforced by the main French army of General Junot, it was defeated. Wellesley's newly appointed commanders - Sir Harry Burrard and Sir Hew Dalrymple - shamed the British army by negotiating the Convention of Cintra, which allowed repatriation of Junot's army, with equipment - and on British ships - to the safety of France. Wellesley emerged unscathed from the inquiry that followed and celebrated his return to the Peninsula with the audacious capture of Oporto, via a hazardous river crossing, from Marshal Soult. Invading French-occupied Spain, Wellesley sought to assist Spanish forces against the French but, despite their lack of backbone, managed to win the Battle of Talavera for which he was given a viscountcy. He became an earl in February 1812, a marquess in October of the same year and the Duke of Wellington in May 1814. Winning the battle of Bussaco, Wellington withdrew behind a formidable defensive barrier known as the Lines of Torres Vedras. Rested and eager for battle, the British then moved on to the offensive winning the battle of Fuentes de Onoro.

Series - Napoléon's Hundred Days Campaign.
    Issued for the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo.

Data of issue: 2015-03-09
    upload_2017-3-8_19-56-20.png

Regards, James.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Makanudo likes this.
  3. James-2489

Hello all, this stamp also depicting Sir Arthur Wellesley was issued by Belgium, again selected from my Costumes and Uniforms Theme.

Date of issue: 2015-06-01
    upload_2017-3-9_5-17-9.png

Regards, James,

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    DonSellos and Makanudo like this.
  4. James-2489

Hello all, although I imagine that there are many military commanders depicted on stamps (I probably have many), I rarely recognise who they are, apart that is from some of the British military or naval officers.

I knew that Washington was a famous sucessful military leader before he became president, so I did a search for him.

This stamp was issued by the USA - 1936-12-15 (not from my collection), depicting George Washington and Nathanael Greene.

upload_2017-3-11_6-48-10.png

George Washington (February 1732 - December 14, 1799) was an American politician and soldier who served as the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797 and was one of the Founding Fathers of the United States. He served as Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War, and later presided over the 1787 convention that drafted the United States Constitution. He is popularly considered the driving force behind the nation's establishment and came to be known as the "father of the country," both during his lifetime and to this day.

Washington was widely admired for his strong leadership qualities and was unanimously elected president by the Electoral College in the first two national elections. He oversaw the creation of a strong, well-financed national government that maintained neutrality in the French Revolutionary Wars, suppressed the Whiskey Rebellion, and won acceptance among Americans of all types. Washington's incumbency established many precedents still in use today, such as the cabinet system, the inaugural address, and the title Mr. President. His retirement from office after two terms established a tradition that lasted until 1940 when Franklin Delano Roosevelt won an unprecedented third term. The 22nd Amendment (1951) now limits the president to two elected terms.

He was born into the provincial gentry of Colonial Virginia to a family of wealthy planters who owned tobacco plantations and slaves, which he inherited. In his youth, he became a senior officer in the colonial militia during the first stages of the French and Indian War. In 1775, the Second Continental Congress commissioned him as commander-in-chief of the Continental Army in the American Revolution. In that command, Washington forced the British out of Boston in 1776 but was defeated and nearly captured later that year when he lost New York City.

After crossing the Delaware River in the middle of winter, he defeated the British in two battles (Trenton and Princeton), retook New Jersey, and restored momentum to the Patriot cause. His strategy enabled Continental forces to capture two major British armies at Saratoga in 1777 and Yorktown in 1781. Historians laud Washington for the selection and supervision of his generals; preservation and command of the army; coordination with the Congress, state governors, and their militia; and attention to supplies, logistics, and training. In battle, however, Washington was repeatedly outmanoeuvred by British generals with larger armies.

After victory had been finalized in 1783, Washington resigned as commander-in-chief rather than seize power, proving his opposition to dictatorship and his commitment to American republicanism. Washington presided over the Constitutional Convention in 1787, which devised a new form of federal government for the United States. Following his election as president in 1789, he worked to unify rival factions in the fledgling nation. He supported Alexander Hamilton's programs to satisfy all debts, federal and state, established a permanent seat of government, implemented an effective tax system, and created a national bank. In avoiding war with Great Britain, he guaranteed a decade of peace and profitable trade by securing the Jay Treaty in 1795, despite intense opposition from the Jeffersonians. He remained non-partisan, never joining the Federalist Party, although he largely supported its policies. Washington's Farewell Address was an influential primer on civic virtue, warning against partisanship, sectionalism, and involvement in foreign wars. He retired from the presidency in 1797, returning to his home and plantation at Mount Vernon.

Upon his death, Washington was eulogized as "first in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen" by Representative Henry Lee III of Virginia. He was revered in life and in death; scholarly and public polling consistently ranks him among the top three presidents in American history. He has been depicted and remembered in monuments, public works, currency, and other dedications to the present day.

Nathanael Greene (August 7 1742 – June 19, 1786), sometimes misspelled Nathaniel) was a major general of the Continental Army in the American Revolutionary War known for his successful command in the Southern Campaign, forcing British Lieutenant General Charles Cornwallis to abandon the Carolinas and head for Virginia. When the war began, Greene was a militia private, the lowest rank possible; he emerged from the war with a reputation as George Washington's most gifted and dependable officer. Many places in the United States are named after him. He suffered financial difficulties in the post-war years and died in 1786.

Regards, James.

DonSellos and Makanudo like this.
  5. James-2489

Hello all, this stamp from GB - Gibraltar. Depicting The Great Siege (1779-1783) and the commanding officer General Eliott.

Date of issue:2000-05-09
    upload_2017-3-15_18-21-25.png

George Augustus Eliott, 1st Baron Heathfield, PC, KB (25 December 1717 – 6 July 1790) was a British Army officer who served in three major wars during the eighteenth century. He rose to distinction during the Seven Years' War when he fought in Germany and participated in the British attacks on Belle Île (France) and Cuba. Eliott is most notable for his command of the Gibraltar garrison during the Great Siege of Gibraltar, which lasted between 1779 and 1783 during the American War of Independence. He was celebrated for his successful defence of the fortress.

Regards, James.

Makanudo likes this.
  6. Makanudo

DonSellos and James-2489 like this.
  7. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

The U.S. seem to be a country,where Generals,Admirals and the
    like a highly popular.At least if you consider the big number of
    stamps issued for them: AG1.jpg
    Z.Taylor/J.Sullivan/A.Wayne
    C.Pulaski/F.W.von Steuben/J.E.Oglethorpe
    T.Kosciuszko/S.Houston
    and more to come !

DonSellos, James-2489 and Makanudo like this.
  8. Makanudo

Hi Werner,

Andrzej Tadeusz Bonawentura Kościuszko was a person of colourful biography.
    He came to America, fought. Returned to Poland and started feudal reform. Emigrated to France. Started armed uprising against russians. Emigrated again.
    Refused to join Napoleons forces. Died in Switzerland.
    My street here bears, proudly, his name

9. Werner Salentin

AG2.jpg
    more generals.Sorry James, that I show the Washington/Greene stamp again.

10. Werner Salentin

AG3.jpg
    And the admirals from the same set,issued 1936/37

James-2489, Makanudo and DonSellos like this.
  11. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Yea, the United States has a bunch of them on its stamps. Some of them even get elected president. Every war spawns a new crop.

Don

Werner Salentin and Makanudo like this.
  12. Werner Salentin

More generals,Americans and others:
    AG4.jpg

DonSellos, Makanudo and James-2489 like this.
  13. Werner Salentin

AD6.jpg
    That are all,but of one,generals on US-stamps.
    Of course there are more different stamps of Washington and
    some other of the generals.
    I guess there are more presidents or politicians,who were
    soldiers,maybe generals,I do not know.
    If you want to know more about any of them,have a look at
    Wikipedia.

James-2489 likes this.
  14. Werner Salentin

The last general on an US-stamp,I can think of:
    AG5.jpg
    Lord Cornwallis

James-2489, DonSellos and Makanudo like this.
  15. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Werner, I believe you have most all of them. Many more generals than admirals. Historically, the Army has always received preference over the Navy.

Don

James-2489 and Makanudo like this.
  16. James-2489

Hello all, in the UK I believe that it is the other way around, historically our senior service is the Navy, probably because we live on a relatively small island, though having said that we seem to have either been allied to or fighting most of our European neighbours in one part of the world or another, hence the Empire on which the Sun Never Sets

Regards, James.

Makanudo and Werner Salentin like this.
  17. Makanudo

Just a follow up on Werners post ...
    Tadeusz K. on polish stamp:

001 (2).jpg

Werner Salentin and James-2489 like this.
  18. Werner Salentin

Gen.jpg
    issued Dec.1st,1935 (sold for double of face value)
    12 g: Prince Eugenio de Savoyen is most famos for his victories
    against the Ottomans 1714-18,saving Europe from the
    Turkish Invasion.Became very rich.Built two of the nicest
    palaces of Vienna amongst several others.
    24 g: Field-Marshal Baron Ernst Gideon von Laudon was Austrias
    Generalissimus in the Seven-Years-War (1756-63).
    30 g: Archduke Karl,Austrias Generalissimus in the Napoleonic
    Wars,till 1809.
    40 g: Field-Marshal Josef Wenzel Radetzky von Radetz,general in
    the Napoleonic Wars,Commander in Chief in the wars in
    Italy in the 1840th.Went into retirement after 72 years of
    service at the age of 90 in 1856.Johann Strauß Sohn wrote
    the popular Radetzky Marsch,glorifying the Field-Marshal.
    60 g: Vice-Admiral Wilhelm von Tegetthoff,Commander in Chief
    of the Austrian-Hungarian Fleet.Victorious near Heligoland
    against Denmark in the German-Danish War of 1864 and
    again in the German-German-War 1866 against Italy at Lisa.
    64 g: Field-Marshal Franz Conrad von Hötzendorf,Chief of the
    Austrian_Hungarian General Staff in World War I,till 1917,
    when he was sent into retirement by the new Emperor Karl.

Draft saved Draft deleted