USPS Numbered Postal Sheets of Pacific '97 Triangles, Scott Nos. 3130-31

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by JCG, Jun 4, 2016.

1. JCG

JCG Member

Hey All, I have a question for anyone who has knowledge of this, but back in 1997 I recall the USPS had 12,500 Postal Sheets that were numbered, in pencil by someone, that were numbered "1 of 12,500". I bought one and am somewhere in the 12,000 range. Unfortunately the sheet is framed and the matte around the edge covered the numbering of mine and I would have to removed an excellent framing job.

I cannot find any history of this event or the value of this "rarity". And I am thinking it is these two stamps, but I could be wrong. HELP!

2. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello JCG, if it is the sheet below there are a number of them offered on EBay.
    This one is offered on ebay for $6.
    EBay item number 201527537297

[​IMG]

Regards, James.

DonSellos likes this.
  3. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello JCG, in total I found 17 offers of the 97 Triangles sheets today, all unframed.
    I also found this First Day of Issue souvenir sheet for $5.50
    EBay item number: 191885151626

upload_2016-6-5_11-6-34.png

Sorry about the quality of the image, but you may be able to find a little information here.
    Regards, James.

4. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

I would not have liked that numbering job!:depressed: However, the triangles made an attractive set.

Don

5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I would leave the framing intact. Most likely it will retain the most value that way. The stamps came out a couple of months prior to the San Francisco World Stamp Expo named "Pacific 97". I believe New York City was where the first day ceremony was. I bought the uncut press sheet and parted it out into cross gutter pairs and other odd groupings similar to what people did years back with the Farley stamps. I seem to remember something about "numbered sheets" I can't tell you whether they were ordered out of the Philatelic Fulfilment cave or were available at the first day ceremony. I couldn't find anything online about them. The stamps are pretty common, even the press sheet is inexpensive. Most of the comments about them online seem to reflect the common theme about modern issues selling at face or below face value. I don't think the numbering adds anything significant to the value of the sheet, but obviously the framing does.

James-2489 likes this.
  6. JCG

JCG Member

Thanks for the comments, but the mystery still remains of why no news on the internet about this!

James-2489 likes this.
  7. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

My best recommendation would be to see if you can find old Linn's Stamps News concurrent with the period. I was a former subscriber and am pretty sure that it was covered in the paper. I'm fairly certain that is where I read about it. Good luck on the mystery JCG.

Draft saved Draft deleted