USPS at it again!

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Larry L. Taylor, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

I heard about 'them' in November, and haven't seen or heard much about them since.

the Harry Potter character was commemorated in a mid-December stamp issue without much fanfare.

harry_potter.JPG

Steve Robinson likes this.
  2. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Harry Potter fans collectibles. :D

3. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

I thought Harry used an owl for his mail not the postal service. :D

Sarahrtw and zararina like this.
  4. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

*Goes all fangirl* I LOVE Harry Potter and that is a great set of stamps. I'll have to look them up and see what I can find about them. Thanks for posting!

5. Andy1982

Andy1982 New Member

Not really my cup of tea. I'm not a huge fan of the layout and the very mass produced look about them. Thanks for sharing though.

6. zararina

I am not that fan of Harry Potter movies but I am a fan of stamp that makes this set really nice for me. :D

7. Larry L. Taylor

I didn't buy several 'folders 'of them because I'm a fan of Harry - never read even one page of any of those books. I just guessed that without the notoriety of issuance, they'll be valuable some day to the Potter-o-phils; in a couple of years, maybe they be worth 10 cents more than what I paid for them? It's an investment! Yeah, right?!??!

8. zararina

Yeah right Larry. Someday, maybe a Harry Potter fan would pay even half of their fortune for those stamps. :D

9. philabasi

philabasi New Member

I don't like this kind of stamps. I've never seen or read the books They are very commercial.

I preffer other USA stamps like flags, presidents, trees (bonsai), and other commemorative items.

Sorry for my english.

Good day folks.

Basi;)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  10. shaunroller

shaunroller New Member

I'm a huge Potter fan myself! Read nearly all the books as a kid. The only problem was they weren't all out at the time, and somehow I got sick of waiting. So thanks for the reminder, I'm heading to the bookstore right now.

Nice collection!

11. zararina

Hi Shaunroller and welcome to the forum.
    You can create a thread in the Introductions to let us know you more and your collection preferences. :)

12. Envy

Envy New Member

Those look pretty nice. Definitely collectable haha. Wait a couple years and I'm sure they'll be worth more.

13. KatherineGlison

KatherineGlison New Member

That is awesome! I love Harry Potter! I love how in modern times the USPS is putting out things like this. I think that it really shows that we have a culture that we like to have fun with. I don't think that there is anything wrong with this kind of creativity at all! I am really impressed by this stuff! I bet the person who designs things like this gets paid some really good money. Thank you for sharing. I love getting a book of stamps with cats and dogs on them, those are my favorite.

14. CeliVega

CeliVega Member

Apparently Lord Voldemort didn't get his own stamp. How can such a important character be excluded? Perhaps they are trying not to spoil too much, sure is nice of them :p Also there seems to be a lack of brooms, need more brooms!

15. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Member

So, is the US claiming Harry Potter as its own now?

Seriously though, I don't see a price on these stamps - is the US no longer printing values on their stamps? We do and don't in Canada. Or, are these stamps just stickers never intended for use on envelopes?

16. zararina

I think/guess these are just collectibles and not for mails. :)

17. Larry L. Taylor

'Twas a couple of years ago that the USPS adopted the 'forever' stamp. If I bought say $490 worth of 'forever stamps' today (1000 of 'em), and five years from now when hyperinflation requires $4.75 to mail a letter, one 'forever' stamp will 'pay the freight' for that letter according to current USPS disclaimers. Otherwise, today I have to assemble $0.49 worth of older postage to mail each letter (1 oz.). And five years from now I might have to use some of my Express mail stamps to come up with the necessary postage.

18. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Member

Thanks Larry for the information. We have a similar method of doing this in Canada. Some of our stamps, however, still have prices printed on them but the day to day ones don't. I thought that might be the case down south.

19. Stacey Gaubatz

Stacey Gaubatz New Member

I was not too into Harry Potter. I am not certain why. I am perhaps one of the few world wide who has not read one of the books, nor watched a movie in its entirety. I have watched bits and pieces as I have nieces and nephews who got into Harry Potter.

Draft saved Draft deleted