Using a British Stamp when on holiday in Spain???

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by bickerstonehall, Mar 20, 2018.

1. bickerstonehall

bickerstonehall Moderator Moderator

Have just listed for sale a postcard. Nothing special in itself but dose raise a question.
    Spain and the Costa del Sol has for many years been the most popular destination for Brits looking for a cheap summer holiday.
    But can you use a British Stamp to send a postcard home from Spain? The answer should be No but this card has a British Elizabeth II Stamp.

FUENGIROLA COSTA DEL SOL POSTCARD SPAIN BRITISH STAMP!

Fuengirola Sun Sea and Sea and Postcard from the Spanish Costa Del Sol.
    Unusual Stamp question. Posted from Spain to the UK but using a British Stamp. Should not be possible!

http://www.my-little-auctions.com/a...OSTA-DEL-SOL-POSTCARD-SPAIN&auction_id=211929

2. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

What makes you to believe,that it was posted in Spain ?
    Happens all the time,that people send holiday-greetings,when
    they have returned home already.
    And even if it was posted in Spain,nothing extraordinary either.
    Postal people cannot and do not check all mail-pieces for
    freak-frankings.

DonSellos likes this.
  3. bickerstonehall

bickerstonehall Moderator Moderator

It was he wording on the card. We are enjoying, not we enjoyed.
    But Yes, quite possible posted on return home and would almost certainly have arrived faster if that was done.

Werner Salentin likes this.
  4. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Hmmmm! It's possible, I suppose that the card might have been mailed from Gibraltar, I don't know Gibraltar's proximity to Costa del Sol. Since there is not a full postmark (dial showing the town and date where cancel), it is also possible that the stamp may have been removed from another item and put on this card to make it appear somewhat unusual. Don't know, but it looks suspicious to me.

Don

5. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

British stamps are not valid in Gibraltar.They have their owns.

6. FitzjamesHorse

FitzjamesHorse Active Member

The wavy postmark looks British.
    Certainly its not unusual to bring postcards home and post them (it is after all cheaper).
    I have seen postcards with Irish stamps posted in the north of Ireland. Sometimes tourists are uncertain where they are exactly. Although I have not seen any postcards with British stamps that have been posted in the Republic of Ireland, I am sure they exist and in the majority of cases there would be no problem with delivery in "one-off" cases.
    Its just common courtesy.

Draft saved Draft deleted