USA Bicentennial stamps & neat stuff

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Jay, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

some bicentennial stuff from the '70 from the SCOTT STAMP CO. souvenirs mostly but I thought them interesting maybe you will too?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This folds open and on the other side is an old copied map of the colonies. I have it all neatly mounted and don't want to rip it out of it's current "home" just to scan and put right back-

[​IMG]

the stamp sheet-let that the souvenir sheet refers to.-

[​IMG]

Big stamp bicentennial sheets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the large flags se-tenant -
    [​IMG]

some smaller ones-

[​IMG]

some singles of the iconic revolutionary soldiers marching band. Unfortunately I do not have the complete se-tenant of this. It all came apart hence the image below...lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this should be a picture block but again I only have singles-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kacyds, steve logan and Philactica like this.
  2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

You know I only posted some of the bicentennial stuff and I'm starting to notice how much of this stuff the USPS put out during it! I have really fond memories of 1976. Thank you Philactica.

3. kacyds

kacyds New Member

I love the flag se-tenant. I was 10 years old in 1976, my mom worked for the local natural gas company, and she would deal with all the mail coming in. She would bring me home all the stamps. I collect all 50 stamps used, and I still have them to this date. I cherish them the most, since my mother helped me to collect them.

You know that was the first 50 stamp sheet se-tenant for the US?

4. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Here is a little info on the sheet.

U.S. #1633-82
    1976 13¢ State Flags
    Pane of 50

Issue Date: February 23, 1976
    City: Washington, DC
    Quantity: 8,720,100 panes of 50
    Printed By: Bureau of Engraving and Printing
    Printing Method: Photogravure
    Perforations: 11
    Color: Multicolored

Issued as part of the ongoing Bicentennial celebration, the 13¢ State Flags pane was a first in U.S. history. This was the first time a pane with 50 face-different stamps was issued. Each state is represented by its official flag, with the stamps arranged on the sheet in the same order each state was admitted into the Union.

The format proved to be popular with collectors, and has been repeated many times since.

The Bicentennial Series
    The U.S. Bicentennial was a series of celebrations during the mid-1970s that commemorated the historic events leading to America’s independence from Great Britain. The official events began on April 1, 1975, when the American Freedom Train departed Delaware to begin a 21-month, 25,338-mile tour of the 48 contiguous states. For more than a year, a wave of patriotism swept the nation as elaborate firework displays lit up skies across the U.S., an international fleet of tall-mast sailing ships gathered in New York City and Boston, and Queen Elizabeth made a state visit. The celebration culminated on July 4, 1976, with the 200th anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence.

The U.S.P.S. issued 113 commemorative stamps over a six-year period in honor of the U.S. bicentennial, beginning with the American Revolution Bicentennial Commission Emblem stamp (U.S. #1432). As a group, the Bicentennial Series chronicles one of our nation’s most important chapters, and remembers the events and patriots who made the U.S. a world model for liberty.

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

That's great info kacyds. I have all of them but it got to be a scanning nightmare and some I don't have all on 1 page so it got hectic real quick. I have every stamp (except 5) from 1930's - 1976 (actually up to '79 but didn't get them in the vario sheets yet because I'm lazy)

Draft saved Draft deleted