US Precancels

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by kacyds, Aug 21, 2011.

1. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Does any on collect Precancels?? I just aquired over 2000 of them, and dont know much about them. I have tried to look for a website about them, but came up empty handed. Just wanted to know how many different ones are out there, how to catalog them, and value. Thanks for any help.

2. Ziggy9

Ziggy9 New Member

There is lots of good information on this site

http://www.precancels.com/

The problem with cataloging precancels is that there are so many different ones. The available catalogs are for the most part a different catalog for precancels of each state. I haven't bothered too much about values. i seperate them by state and then by town or city.

Richard

3. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Thanks for the info, I wil look into it.

4. swish513

swish513 Active Member

5. Ziggy9

Ziggy9 New Member

the answer is "possibly"
    With the cancel running at an angle it could be a misprinted precancel or it could be a local cancellation. the only way to tell for sure is if it can be matched to a known precancel. I don't have that particular one so i can't say for sure

Richard

6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

No. It is what's referred to as a box cancel. Stamp it a #623 , being badly off center and has had damage to upper left corner (crease/fold) and a few pulled perfs on left side as well. But it is still a handsome stamp IMO. I like the B&W and grey scale issues of the mid 1920's.
    Your stamp was released for sale to the general public OR the earliest known on-cover example is dated on 12/28/1925
    Scott catalog value on this is - Unused: $12.00 Used: .30¢
    The above values listed are for stamps with good centering and no damage.

7. swish513

swish513 Active Member

thank you for the info!

as it is, i have 29 precancels in my collection. i think i may start collecting them. ziggy, that site was full of great info and it peaked my interest! :)

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I just received over 200+ precancels a lot of bureau cancels in there too. I know net to nothing about precancels with the exception of why they exist so any information is always welcome!

9. Ziggy9

Ziggy9 New Member

check out the link in my first post.

Richard

10. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

I think I only have 4. Are #646-648 considered precancels?

11. swish513

swish513 Active Member

no, those are overprints. a precancel looks like this...
    View attachment 755 View attachment 756

12. aciguembre

aciguembre New Member

I'm interested in change pre-cancels (only type "Bureau"). I can offer pre-cancels or spanish stamps from 1995 to 2005

Draft saved Draft deleted