U.S Fancy cancel unknown

Discussion in 'What's it Worth?' started by Josh, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Josh

Josh New Member

was curious if anyone might know anything about this fancy cancel I found in one of my old albums?

Attached Files:

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Werner Salentin likes this.
  3. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

It looks like a fancy to me tho, as above, not a very good impression. Guessing an eagle/bird? Or perhaps this is just a Rorschach test! :rolleyes:

I will look in my cancellation books, see if I can find anything similar.

4. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

I am not finding it; at least with my 'eagle' hypothesis. Closest is this, from 20th Century United States Fancy Cancelations (Thunderbolt Edition) by Loso.

EagleCancel.jpg

I did ask three members of the StampExchange Brain Trust what they saw in the cancel.

<HOCH> said it looked like a two-pound T-bone and a loaded baked potato.

<ANGLOBOB> said it was the outline of a small island off Ecuador's coast.

To <DONSELLOS> it looks like the August 1959 Playboy centerfold.

;)

DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
  5. Josh

Josh New Member

lol I do suppose it could be a lot of things¿ to me it looks like someone sitting down doing something? the stamp is sideways if you look at it from the way it should be is when I see possibly someone sitting doing something? but again who knows with it being a poor impression

Molokai likes this.
  6. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Molokai you really got me pegged. If it looks like food I'll eat for sure.
    At first the cancellation just looked like an ink smear to me, but you actually found a cancel that actually could be what now looks to me like an eagle 90 degrees offset.

Molokai likes this.
  7. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

The closest I found was this one described as an arrowhead. Then again, Molokai may be right here: "Or perhaps this is just a Rorschach test! :rolleyes:

Don

[​IMG]

Hochstrasse and Molokai like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted