TYPE 1 or TYPE II 2 Cent washington 599 or 599a

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by willard theodore frye, Nov 9, 2018.

1. My eyes are not as great as they were when i was young. Can someone identify this as a 599 or 599a PIC000.JPG PIC001.JPG PIC000.JPG PIC001.JPG ?

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

The stamp is definitely a 599.

DonSellos likes this.
  3. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

4. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

These identifications require very, very "close" work and make me glad that I don't collect this series, but grateful that we have collectors like Hochstrasse who do and can tell the differences in varieties.

Don

5. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

The U.S. Third Bureau is a world unto itself. Too many variables for me. I do notice a many errors in identification result from not correctly using a perforation gauge.

Of all the books and chapters of books devoted to ID'ing these stamps I still like Barbara Mueller's methods in United State Postage Stamps! A true classic of U.S. philatelic literature.

Not my cup-of-tea but I can appreciate the fascination others have with them.

6. This is a 599a note the entire hair line is dark on top of his head. Courtesy of www.thesweedishtiger.com. Look at #300 last pick is my find. 599a.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted