Tweezers

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Duke Arbinthrope, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Duke Arbinthrope

Duke Arbinthrope New Member

I find an old fish knife much easier to use when picking stamps up, are tweezers the utensil of choice with most members?

2. kacyds

kacyds New Member

I have been using stamp tongs for years now. Never thought about using my fish knife. Then again, I dont want to get fish slime on my stamps.... lol :eek:

3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Tongs. I would be afraid of a mishap and slice into a stamp.

4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

do you collect stamps?

5. Duke Arbinthrope

Fish knives in England are very blunt Jeff, hence their suitability for the task.

6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

a fish & chips knife or an actual fishing knife? The one I take to the river with me is nothing short of a razor knife! Might just be a terminology thing. "You say chips we say french fries" sort of thing. What do you think?

7. Duke Arbinthrope

A fish knife is a broad bladed very blunt knife that doubles as a spoon, I will photograph mine if you are intrigued. We say chips because England was the first to fry potatoes when Walter Raleigh broad the potatoe back from your homeland, the French did it years later and only because two thirds of France belonged to England at the time. French fries in England come in little packets and are similar to crisps.

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Yup! America has a lot of misnomers in our history. The biggest is that Chis Columbus discovered the joint- it's still taught in our schools despite the fact that the Norse Eric the red? Leif Ericson? or some such, beat him here by hundreds of years! (It's too early here on this side of the pond for my thinker to operate efficiently- Still sipping coffee!) 5:38 AM here What time is it there if I may ask?

9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

10. Duke Arbinthrope

I do not think Columbus ever made it to the mainland, he was beated by Vespucci, first name Amerigo. Columbus discoverd Cuba and Haiti. Ericson was more Canada way was he not? It is 11:11 hours here.

11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Your right on the money! Also I must depart from our beloved forum for a few days as I have to go on a trip. I will have my I phone so I think I can check in but not positive..we'll see. You would be fun to talk to on the bus trip! Will you be on for a bit today?

12. Duke Arbinthrope

I am on most days Jeff, have a lovely trip.

13. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

The Spanish introduces the Potato to Europe in the mid 16th Century and it was sailors who distributed it around the globe, also by 1558 we had just lost our last toe hold in continetal France "Calais" this was ceded to France by Mary I

1584 Raleigh sent an expedition to the Atlantic coast of North America you might notice from this time line that we did not own 2/3rds of France by this time

14. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

I would like to see a pic of this fish knife you are talking about.....And your description of french fries sounds like potato chips:D

Jay likes this.
  15. black

black New Member

Pardon me for pointing this out but this entire lecture contains no reference to stamps, not a good example to set by someone responsible for censuring others surely?

Jay likes this.
  16. black

black New Member

They are called crisps in England Samb, chips are fired potatoes of discs used for gambling. A fish knife would be ideal for sliding under stamps, I'm sure you'll be able to get an image off MSN or Linux.

17. black

black New Member

that should have been or not of ha ha ha

18. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

What giving out Historicaly acurate fact is wrong? and what exactly has crisps/potato chips to do with stamps?

19. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

the king even had a broadside printed stating that he (the king) ate potatoes every day and the people still wouldn't eat them. Their culture was was cereal grain based but that's where the problem was. An unseasonal storm could wipe out a whole growing season's harvest or mirauders would burn their crops! After a bit they realized (a few anyhow) how resilient potatoes were. they grew underground (you couldn't burn them) and they had a high yeild so for most it was a no brainier to make the switch.
    Folks was scared of the "Devils fruit" or potato because it grew under ground and it's leaves are poisonous but the plague and Monder Minimum (litle ice-age/big chill, etc...) quickly convinced them different.

20. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

It's all good as long as it's educational and isn't a re-occurring event (like every post). It is sort of stamp related because the tax stamps came out of all that in the following century but I see your point. Now we need a potato stamp to tie it all together!

Draft saved Draft deleted