Turning Scott FSAT Album into Hingeless

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by H. G. Golightly, Dec 5, 2017.

1. H. G. Golightly

H. G. Golightly Active Member

Hello group and Season's Greetings to all,
    As mentioned in an earlier post I have taken the plunge and decided to
    begin collecting FSAT material, but probably only up to 1980.
    For Christmas I will be receiving the Scott FSAT stamp album 1955-2014.
    I would like to mount each stamp in hingeless plastic, but I'm not sure if there is a safe plastic mount I can buy that already has glue, or if I need to place a dab of adhesive on each mount. If any in the group has a suggestion as to the safest way (adhesive) to mount this collection, I would appreciate hearing from you. (Seriously)
    Ho!,Ho! Ho!
    Harry

Hochstrasse and Molokai like this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

And great cheer for the holidays to you!

Actually, I haven't bought enough stamps since I re-entered the hobby in 2015...everything still on stock books and glassines. If I can ever stop purchasing books and magazine runs perhaps I'll have enough stamps for an album!

I had less than positive experiences with those little plastic monsters back in the day (1960s) but I am guessing they are much better now. I don't mind putting a hinge on any stamp short of fully or mostly gummed unused - tho you have to use interleaving with hinges.

H. G. Golightly likes this.
  3. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Greetings Harry!
    I have used Scott and Showgard mounts for over 25 years and believe they are second to none except for perhaps the well-heeled collector who wishes to purchase a hingeless album. They come in clear and black, either in strips or precut and have their own glue on the back. Both are allegedly archival and completely benign to stamp paper, inks. They can be gotten online from any number of stamp supply outlets. Here's one that comes to many of the stamp shows in my neck of the woods.
    http://www.subwaystamp.com/

H. G. Golightly likes this.
  4. anglobob

anglobob Member

I can also vouch for the quality of Showgard and Hawid mounts.Whenever I am back in UK ,I always stock up on these.

5. H. G. Golightly

H. G. Golightly Active Member

'Muchas Gracias' to both anglobob & Hochstrosse for their input.
    I have both brands somewhere in my stamp-mess.
    For my British Commonwealth & Iceland collection I have only used nice stockbook pages, therefore I will be a newbie to mounting a collection in an actual album made expressly for this French Dependency.
    I will collect MNH FSAT examples because I prefer to & the Scott catalogue has their 'suggested values' for only MNH stamps. Guess that is understandable being FSAT material only began in 1955.
    Season's Best to all,
    Harry in 44º Houston (presently)

Hochstrasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted