The stamp collectors tools of the trade. Getting Started-

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by wander_n_wonder, Jan 31, 2014.

1. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder New Member

I'm just a new stamp collector and I normally just put my stamps in a scrapbook. With the terms that you mentioned above, now this hobby sounds more professional to me! I never knew that there would be a lot of other things that I need to pay attention to in order to be a hardcore stamp collector.

2. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Welcome to the forum Wander. Hope to see some of your collection here. :)

3. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome Wander moved this to the Intro forum for you :) What are your collecting interests?

4. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

hi and welcome!

There are threats that discuss tools but in short the "musts" are:
    album or stockbook
    stamp mounts (if you use an album. Hinges not recommended)
    stamps

Nice to have:
    perforation gauge
    magnifying glass
    special lights (name escapes me) to see watermarks etc
    tongs (small tweezers-like tongs for holding stamps)

5. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

Whatever you do - DON'T strive to be a hard core collector. Better to collect casually - kinda like 'where ever the spirit moves you'. Topicals vs. specific countries vs. postal history vs. 1st day covers vs. airmail vs . . . . Focus on something that interests YOU!
    Former co-worker of mine only collected sheets of newly-issued stamps, but only those that were attractive to him. Another collector I know focuses on socked-on-the-nose cancellations on mostly Scandinavian stamps. Another focuses on US revenues.

Yeah, I'd start with a stock book (easier to move and arrange the stamps); they can be as simple as manilla-sleeved variety up through glassine sleeves and/or Showgard type (transparent plastic sleeves). I guess you can consider yourself to be a 'serious' collector if/when you step up to an album, usually country specific. IMHO, there are very few world-wide collectors out there anymore.

6. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

I think that is great advice. If you limit yourself too much. especially out of a sense of "ought", you can kill the joy in your hobby. Collect what interest you at any given time. If it changes, there's nothing wrong with that. By being open to different types of collections you could find great reward is something unexpected.

zararina and Steve Robinson like this.
  7. Tersuss

Tersuss Active Member

I know right, I am fairly new too, but there seems to be a lot more to this than just putting them in a book.

Draft saved Draft deleted