The stamp collectors tools of the trade. Getting Started-

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Jay, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Stamp tongs are essential. This is the very first thing you need to get. I wish somebody would have told me this when I started collecting. I ruined plenty of stamps without these.

tmbits likes this.
  2. Bionicbelly

Bionicbelly Getting this stamp thing licked

Hmmmmm a great list of requirements - but most important of all ---- you need some stamps :=) ( and sometimes a big bank balance )

And Lindakay - dont panic, we are all novices with this hobby and I have been collecting for over 55 years - I still learn something new every time I get involved

Just as you think you know it all - some bright spark shows you something new

3. tmbits

tmbits New Member

I wish they'd had the Internets and The Googles when I was a kid. This information would have saved me a ton of heartache! :) The good news is I can impart some wisdom to my son whom will HOPEFULLY be taking my stamp collection over! Thanks, great information!

Steve Robinson likes this.
  4. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarie Member

Wow thanks for posting this thread. I did not know that their were so many ways to hand stamps. I will definitely take some of your advice to secure the quality of my collection. Thanks again.

5. Bionicbelly

Bionicbelly Getting this stamp thing licked

Tmbits - if your son does not take an interest - Can I be your son :happy:

tmbits likes this.
  6. tmbits

tmbits New Member

HAHA!! Sorry, to afford another child I'd have to sell my collection. :-D

7. Congrats on the child @tmbits. I am still really sorry to hear you had to sell off your collection. I know there is more than monetary worth involved many times.

8. TomesofDestiny

TomesofDestiny New Member

Wow, this is great information. Thanks for the help! Do you guys normally get your supplies over the internet or do you try to buy in person so you know hat you're getting?

9. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I prefer buying in person than buying online. :)

10. Stamps Are Art

Stamps Are Art New Member

How about the some of the Stamp Preservation and Care info I have posted at StampsAreArt.com

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  11. desertgem

desertgem Active Member

Your url is incorrect as it goes to stampsarart ( no 'e' in are) :)

12. Stamps Are Art

Stamps Are Art New Member

Fixed it - thanks

13. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Yes, visited your site and lots of useful information there. :)

14. mscolumalum

mscolumalum New Member

I was just about to post a thread asking how to get started. I collect stamps, but I really have no idea what I'm doing. I mostly just go after the ones that I think look cool. :oops: Thanks for all the great information. i'm looking forward to getting serious about this.

15. camsdad

camsdad New Member

This is excellent information. I'm gonna take a shot at getting all of this done.

16. Seetoo

Seetoo Member

Excellent information here. I feel really new at this. Stamp tongs, so simple and I've seen people use them, but I've never really thought to get any for myself until I read this list.
    It seems to me that if I am really to get into stamp collecting, starting with organizing the stamps that my mother has given me, I'm going to have to have a some sort of set-up for my supplies, like one would have for scrapbooking.
    I'm starting to feel really jazzed about this new hobby:).

17. Seetoo

Seetoo Member

I feel like that too, looking forward to getting serious about stamp collecting. As I've said in other posts, I'm new to stamp collecting (as well as being new to this forum), but my mom collected stamps for many years and gave me a lot of her stamps.
    I've had a limited interest in stamp collecting because it is something that my mom is into, but now I'm starting to feel like this is a hobby that I can get serious about. I'm really excited about it, kind of feels like scrapbooking in a way, and I LOVE scrapbooking.

18. SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT New Member

Hey everyone. I used to be interested in stamp collecting as a kid. If you can believe it. Well as I approach 50 my interest in Philately is reemerging. Go figure. Can anyone suggest a good book to get me back up to speed on the subject. I'm sure much has changed since then.

19. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

If you are just getting back into stamp collecting this might be a good fit for you. Former president of the APS Janet Klug wrote a nice book called "Guide to Stamp Collecting". Here is a link to Amazon which is probably the cheapest venue.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Stamp-Collecting-Collectors-Series/dp/B003A02XZ2

Attached Files:

20. SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT New Member

Thank you. I'll get that on my Kindle immediately. Looks really interesting. What ever happens next I can say I got it out that book, because based on the table of contents I believe I can trust it to guide me correctly.

Draft saved Draft deleted