The stamp collectors tools of the trade. Getting Started-

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Jay, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Tersuss

Tersuss Active Member

Thank you for the list of tools, I have the tweezers and I have the magnifier but I didn't know about the rest, is there a certain amount of the fluid that I should use, how much is too much?

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I usually try the minimum amount of fluid to detect a watermark. Getting the back of the stamp "wet" is all you need. If there is excess fluid in the black dish that is way too much. Stamp tongs should be flat as to not damage a stamp, ordinary tweezers should be avoided as they could damage a stamp. The perforation gauge is an absolute essential tool.

3. Tersuss

Tersuss Active Member

Oh right, fair enough thank you very much for that nugget on information, what is a perforation gauge exactly, what task does it complete.

4. stampdad

stampdad Member

A USB MICROSCOPE! Has to be the best investment I've made in a long time. 35$ on e-bay . Please believe me once you plug that baby in ,you can feel your eye strain go away.

SATX Collector likes this.
  5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

A perforation gauge tells a person the size of the spacing on the edge of stamps where they are separated from each other. It is in essence of measure of the number of holes that were cut between the stamps in order to be able to tear them apart. It is absolutely essential in differentiating stamps with the same design from each other as in the Washington/Franklin series of U.S. philately. Here is a link to a hobby site that has several different types with picture.
    http://www.ihobb.com/c/PERFGAUGES.html

James-2489 likes this.
  6. Tersuss

Tersuss Active Member

I just looked at the link you posted, that is some pretty detailed information, thank you very much for posting that up for me. :)

Hochstrasse likes this.
  7. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Nice stamp gadget. :)

Also welcome to the forum Stampdad. Hope to know more about your stamp collection and preferences around. :)

8. Tersuss

Tersuss Active Member

That sounds like a very interesting piece of tech, I will be looking to see if they have any more on ebay.

9. Amir King

Amir King Member

Wow! I never knew there was so much equipment available especially for stamp collecting. Maybe I will start investing in some of this equipment and start a catalogue. I am interested in buying and selling for profit, I will read some articles about how to do this. Maybe I can buy them wholesale and sell on ebay...any suggestions anyone?

10. zararina

I am not a stamp seller but I think buying stamps on bulk could be a good idea especially if you can find a "jewel" on those bulks and sell those per piece. :D

11. Bryan Cassidy

Bryan Cassidy New Member

I'm really new to this so I'm pretty ignorant but I'm wondering whether stamps can be stored at room temperature or not. I have a cigar humidor that keeps my cigars fresh when I have them that I could put my stamps in if that works.

12. zararina

I am no expert but for me, yes stamps are okay to be stored on room temp, just properly placed on albums or stock books. :)

13. TomRalphio

TomRalphio Member

Crap I don't have these many tools. Just a few albums, the rest is done by hand

14. ursell

ursell Member

The only thing I have right now is a magnifier as far as tools.

15. Amir King

Amir King Member

I wouldn't have though you would need any tools to collect stamps. I would have thought a stamp holding book catalogue or whatever it's called would be enough. I guess I can see the importance of tweezers so you keep it clean and in good condition.

16. ursell

ursell Member

Well now I have a tweezers and a magnifier now .

17. micah13

micah13 New Member

Wow, I never knew there was so much to stamp collecting. Now I'm really starting to feel like a novice here. In fact, lower than that. I feel like... a three year old trying to fly a plane...

18. Steverd

Steverd Member

Has anyone mentioned: Showgard Desert Magic II Stamp Drying Book
    These books are amazing for used stamp collectors.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  19. derailed

derailed Active Member

Well, I've never used any other "gear" than my bare hands. I love how this site always teaches me new information. Thank you!

20. LindaKay

LindaKay Member

This is such a nice list. I have a great interest in stamps and have a small collection, but I can definitely tell that I'm a novice. I don't have even close to all of the things on this list!!

Draft saved Draft deleted