The London International Philatelic Exposition postmark sheet.

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by Jay, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

What exactly is this? Do one of you Londoners know? I'm very curios to learn about this stuff. Thank you!
    Also, would we (the USA) have been a "possession" at that time?
    1660-1663?
    [​IMG]

2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Sorry that I misspelled Philatelic in the title as I couldn't edit it after I posted it. :(

3. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

UM no I dont think that the US was owned by us in 1960 LOL, they are momentos if you like of stamp shows

Here is one of mine from 1962

View attachment 1938

They were (and sometimes still are) issued with the permission of the Post Office by the club who organizers of the event to help raise funds

4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

One more- does this qualify?
    [​IMG]

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I stated the year 1663 please refer to the text at the bottom of the sheet.

6. Steve Robinson

It was a joke Jay lighten up my friend and yep that one counts and yes the US was a Colony in 1660 with a population of about 75 thousand

7. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

I think it was a colony until about 1781, when cornwallis surrendered to washington in Yorktown, and there is a set of stamps foir that as well i believe.

the sheet shows marks on envelopes used to carry post, and receive payment from the addressee once the letter was delievered which was the common way to send a letter up to 1840

Jay likes this.
  8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Ha-ha I certainly didn't mean to come off sounding so snippy. I'm sorry for that. Thank you for the info though pretty darn cool if you ask me!
    :p That was a joke! (in good taste or not)

9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

That's AWESOME!
    It sort of begs the question: Does anyone own any examples of them?​

10. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

i do not have any yet, but i have seen them on ebay before and may bid next time one pops up

11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Right on! If my English stamp collection was a bit more -well just more I probably would too. Are they sort of like the equivalent of old stampless covers here of the day?

Actually I think I may have sort of answered my own question a little bit- Those are much much earlier than ours so I think maybe they would actually fit well into an early US collection depending on the address. Like perhaps: Judge Corwin, Salem Mass.

steve logan likes this.
  12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Check this out! I don't know where it's from but it's really cool IMO.​
    [​IMG]

13. Steve Robinson

Israel

Issue: September 2003
    Designer: Habib Khoury
    Souvenir Sheet Size: 120 mm x 65 mm
    Stamp Size: 32 mm diameter
    Sheet of 3 stamps
    Printers: De La Rue Global Services
    Method of printing: Offset

NIS 2.30 stamp
    Karakashian-Balian Studio, 1930's, 1940's. Deer looking upwards in a field of flowers. The deer symbolizes the believer's soul "like a hind crying for water" (Psalms 42.2) This motif appears in early Christian mosaic pavements of the Holy Land.

NIS 3.30 stamp
    Stepan Karakashian, mid 1980's Bird with fabulous train of feathers and wide plumage on a blue background with almond blossom.

NIS 4.70 stamp
    Marie Balian, beginning 1990's Version of "The Tree of Life" based on the mosaic pavement in the Umayyad Palace near Jericho.

The background of the souvenir sheet shows details from wall panels designed by Marie Balian in the 1990's.

Lovely sheet by the way :D

14. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

it is from Israel, check the middle stamp below the birds legs lol

2003, Sept. 9 Scott 1539

15. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Steve you beat me to it lol

Draft saved Draft deleted