Stamps on Cover - Not Cancelled

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Gunny, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Recently received the below cover in the mail. I noticed that the stamps hadn't been cancelled. This is the first time that I can remember getting an envelope with uncancelled stamps. Anyone seen something like this before?

img311.jpg

2. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

That's strange. Might be requested by the sender not to be canceled? But why of course? This will be interesting to know. ;)

3. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

I get quite a few of these unfortunately... I say unfortunately because YOU know they are used but no one else does if they are removed from cover. I prefer not to keep them unless they are the solitary example in my collection... better to trade it as a cover to those that might collect them.

Not sure if it has anything to do with the new tagging they are putting on stamps now... the tagging alert the sorters where the stamp is so that they can be turned around and cancelled. Obviously not a foolproof solution as there is a lot of mail out there getting through the cancellation process with no marks; these in addition to the definition of what does not get cancelled in the below link to the USPS handbook...

http://about.usps.com/handbooks/po408/ch1_003.htm

4. SATX Collector

A second shot at this: did the bar code actually get placed in that same orientation shown? I have read that the barcode is placed by a separate operation and it might not have gone through the cancellation process at all, especially if it was in a bulk mail pack.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Yes, I like your theory that this piece of mail did not go through the cancellation process. If Gunny has an ultraviolet lamp to detect tagging in the stamps, the presence of tagging would further solidify the theory that this particular "tray" of pre-sorted mail avoided the cancelling machines.

6. SATX Collector

I have also seen some cancellations on the back side of the envelopes... sometimes with one on the front and sometimes without... this might indicate that tagging might or might not have been present and the mail was not oriented in the correct manner.

Thinking back, I should have probably saved those.:inpain: Additional showing that automation might not be totally foolproof; you can bet that I will look closer now!

7. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Nope, no ultraviolet light. Yes, the bar code was on the envelope as pictures. With the amount of mail that goes through the system, it doesn't surprise me that this would happen, I just don't remember ever seeing it before. This isn't a bulk mail letter. It's from an APS member offering me a look at what he has to offer. I've been quite a bit of mail from dealers giving me offers. I've done business with a few of them as well.

8. SATX Collector

Now THAT'S another clue... I buy a lot of stamps from BidStart and other auctions. Many of them are APS members (as am I) or ASDA (American Stamp Dealers Assn) members and do a lot of individual mailings at one time: sort of pre-sorted mail but they pay full rate most of the time. Being philatelists as well, they realize a hand cancel (especially if the stamps inside bulge the envelope a bit) is much preferred, especially if they can tell the postmaster where to put it (such as SOTN or margin placement). If there are a lot of envelopes, it is possible one got missed.

Most of my dealers use older and extra vintage stamps (again, so do I) and get them hand cancelled with lighter cancellations to increase the value of the outside stamps... quite possible that one or two of the covers get missed during the sorting and cancellation process. I have seen some of these envelopes come through with no cancellation either, and we all know that most of the older stamps had no tagging.

9. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Automation even manual could have glitches like that. It will be interesting to someday got a mail which is not canceled and wonder what happened. :D

10. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had a few like that but what gets me is when they decide to put that bloody bar code sticker over the stamps :mad:

SATX Collector and Gunny like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted