Stamps Engraved by Czslaw Slania...Your Favorites?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by H. G. Golightly, Feb 22, 2017.

1. H. G. Golightly

H. G. Golightly Active Member

As many of the members know, this Polish Master Engraver died in March of 2005. His work created great pieces of engraved art but began Discussion & Study Groups, Web sites & even 1 book, "The Engraving Art of Czlaw Slania.
    He did engraving for a host of different countries and perhaps you have a favorite stamp of his in your collection. Please feel free to share a scan or
    scans with the group. He did 7 different designs for Iceland in the 1980's & 90's
    The quality of his work is evident in these scans.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    James-2489 likes this.
  2. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello Harry, there is some improvement but your image below measures about 1¾" x 4" (on my small screen laptop) . I have just copied your image and pasted it directly into this conversation unedited. As I am typing it shows to be about 4½" x 10½" too big to fit all on my screen. I have to scroll down a little to see each of the three individual elements of the image.
    They are very fine engravings.
    [​IMG]
    My Dell laptop screen is 14" x 8" ideal for travelling.
    Regards James

3. James-2489

Harry, after posting your image, if I then click on the (Click on this image to see the full size version) It is not quite possible to see the whole of each mini-sheet, I have to scroll a little to the right. Beautiful detail.

Regards, James.

4. James-2489

Hello Harry, the images are somewhat better, but still quite small on my 14" Dell laptop.
    On that website the image that I've copied below measures 1¾" x 4". An un-edited copy and paste to this conversation shows on my screen as 4½" x 10½"
    I have to scroll down to see each of the 3 mini-sheets.

Very fine engravings.
    [​IMG]
    Regards, James.

5. James-2489

Hello Harry, On viewing the previous post, the image is about 6" x 13½" approx, on clicking (click on this image to see the full-size version) the image increases to about 15" x 33"? a little too large to show each mini-sheet in full, I have to scroll sideways and down.
    Each perforation shows as about a 4mm spot.

Regards, James.

H. G. Golightly likes this.
  6. H. G. Golightly

Good evening James,
    I'm just having my 2nd cup of java and reading your posts. It reminded me a bit of the problem Goldilocks was having with the bear's porridge.
    All silliness aside, perhaps it the difference in our OS. I'm working on
    a MacBook Pro laptop w/ a 7"x11" screen (Diag. 13"). and the scans fit perfectly.
    How did the St. Brendan sheet look on my 'Fav. Booklet' post?
    Time to refill my coffee cup &
    Thanks for your input,
    Harry

7. wneva 2

wneva 2 Member

Hello - my 3 in 1 is rubbish so no scans!

But I do like Slania and have some preferences. Look at Sportswomen - the Sweden set and booklet of 1972 - really excellent design and engraving. Also the Gota canal tourism set of 1979. Excellent! He engraved a lovely definitive of Queen Margareta for Greenland in 1990 - far better than the artificial images of her in Greenlandic costume produced a few years later. Slania's stamp shows her as a confident, friendly and serene queen. And by then he was nearly 70 years old!

Can one of you post some scans of these lovely stamps?

H. G. Golightly likes this.
  8. H. G. Golightly

Hello Wneva 2,
    I was beginning to think no one else in our group appreciated this masters engraving talent. I know of the stamps that you mentioned above but only collect Iceland & Br. Common Wealth, so I can't supply scans.
    I find it strange that I know of no engravings he did for Br.CW stamps. Perhaps he did do some work that I am not aware of. I can't be sure, but seems like I heard that he engraved the U.S. Merry-Go-Round Horses Stamps. I'm sure someone out there
    knows the truth...X-File Me! Please.

9. wneva 2

wneva 2 Member

Hello HG

Take a look at http://www.slaniastamps-heindorffhus.com/
    Slania did engrave some BC stamps- and even a couple of sets of GB stamps.

The mantle has now passed to Martin Morck - another great talent. For lotsa engraved stamps look at the forums - Stampboards -Engraved stamp beauties and Stamp Community Family -Collecting by Engraver.

2 minutes ago
    + Quote Reply

10. H. G. Golightly

Thanks, I certainly check this out.
    HGG

11. H. G. Golightly

For perspective:
    To obtain my degree from the University of Texas Art School I had to complete a 'dry-point' engraving. That entailed using a burin to scratch
    the design into a large copper plate (16" X 24"). The subject matter I chose was a 13 foot, partially exposed in limestone, skeleton of a pre-historic fish residing in the Texas Memorial Museum. The labor took me 2 months and I had traumatic arthritis in my middle finger (For bearing down while cutting lines into the plate) for 2 years afterwards.
    The dry-point plate is only good for 8-10 prints, as the burr holding the ink
    is flattened w/ each printing.
    HGG

Draft saved Draft deleted