Stamp Romances - 1934 National Parks Issue

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

James-2489, DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
  2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I love the stamps. I have the regular issues and the imperforates, but never seemed to get caught up in the Farley blocks, cross-gutter pairs and such. Collecting the Farley Special Printings was very popular when I was younger, I don't think today it has the same following it did decades ago. I thank-you for the link and will read it when I have some time.

Molokai likes this.
  3. Molokai

Hochstrasse likes this.
  4. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

One of my favorite sets. I much prefer the 1934 Parks over the more contemporary park scenes issued by our postal service. I have only the perforated set in my U.S. collection.

Don

Hochstrasse likes this.
  5. Hochstrasse

Don, have you been following the US Mint issues of the parks? Some of the renderings make even the contemporary postal issues of the parks look good. I think I am watching a replay of the insignificance of stamps being played out again with the Mint as we march ever forward to a cashless society.

Molokai likes this.
  6. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Got all the parks, (singles & plate blocks) as well as the gutter pairs. Still kicking myself when I didn't buy the complete set of perforated sheets, but had just spent a bunch of money on some other stamps from the same dealer and didn't have the extra cash at the time for the sheets.

Molokai likes this.
  7. Molokai

Howdy, Hoch!
    Most of the material from the USPS today I consider more stickers than stamps. At least they could make the darn things soak-able! While I am on that subject - it would be nice if the USPS would do *something* to encourage the use of stamps rather than meters for individuals and at least small businesses.
    I've read that there was some considerable consternation in the 1920s with the proliferation of new issues. What would they think now?

Hochstrasse likes this.
  8. Hochstrasse

I couldn't agree more Molokai. With the proliferation of redundant formats it became increasingly clear to me that the USPS was fleecing the collector. I guess the peel and stick stamps was the last straw for me. You are probably right that the collectors of yore would likely be aghast at the number of issues, the subjects on stamps and the duplicitous formats that the Postal Service is pushing.

SATX Collector and Molokai like this.
  9. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

The U.S. S/A's are probably the final straw for me as well... I have numbered my holders up to Scott #5000 but I suspect I will only collect the entire sheets from now on as they are issued (or traded). I have started that with a number of the older series as well, especially those with State Flags, State Birds, the various Nature of Americas series, Bicentennials, etc.

The current issues are still interesting enough to collect the art (Seed Packet and B&B Circus series to name but two) but I am being very selective in my buys and am not even trying to keep up with all of them. In the true spirit of collecting, I am only going for the ones that appeal to me personally, not everybody else.

Hochstrasse and Molokai like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted