Stamp Dealer Covers

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Nov 6, 2017.

1. RichardBabcock

RichardBabcock Well-Known Member

Iput an offer in But its in pounds so I have to watch the price and shipping, I dont really collect dealer coves just come across them some times.Well that was fast My son and I took the boat out fishing caught some nice bass only kept one, Just got home and I just bought that cover lol Not sure if ill keep it or resell it.

DonSellos likes this.
  2. RichardBabcock

Don maybe it was in the ship when it got ran into by another ship Just kidding

BettyBoop and DonSellos like this.
  3. RichardBabcock

Nice I may have a Brown cover here some were I dont research all names i come across.

4. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

I just won this cover on eBay. (A seller posted several Siegel covers with some Nassau Street. They all went for decent prices indicating there are several collectors in the hunt.)

Souren not NS but this is only the second or third one I have seen that wasn't a cachet for a specific issue - many are the Washington Bicentennials. Some entertaining Souren stories in Herst's Nassau Street book...

There was a nice John A. Fox to Siegel cover I liked but I already have a Fox and duplicates are starting to be too many...Still, I wondered if Fox was sending Siegel one of his 'customized' covers? :joyful:

Also at least a Dealer-to-Dealer and a nice strip.

SDC-Souren.jpg

5. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

I saw the Fox cover and would have liked to have it, but it was too pricey for me. Sold in the high teens, I believe.

Don

6. Molokai

The other cover I won from the same seller. I bid on four more but they would have all been duplicates, so did not chase them.

SDC-SpencerAnderson.jpg

7. Molokai

Big bummer. I've seen more and more of that tho usually USPS. I feel your pain, Bubba.

RichardBabcock likes this.
  8. Molokai

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  9. DonSellos

Congratulations! That's a tough one to find. First I have seen. Much bidding competition for it?

Don

Molokai likes this.
  10. Molokai

Nope. Got it $1 over the first bidder. My last three NS covers have all been pricey - at least for me. But I really did want this one - now watch more show up, haha. I've had that experience with chess books - see one I needed, pay up for it, only to see more of them show up almost immediately.

DonSellos likes this.
  11. DonSellos

That's the way it works alright!:arghh:

Don

12. Molokai

Nice Herst NS cover and the price was right.

Lately I have been spending more on covers than on chess books!

sdc-herstbassau3.jpg

13. DonSellos

Yes, a nice one. I saw it for sale and almost bought it, but I already have one of Herst's stamp collar covers from the late 1940s. I paid more for mine than you paid for this one. As you noted above, higher priced covers draws out similar ones at a lower price.

Perhaps, your long suffering wife may see the decline in chess books and increase in covers a step in the right direction.:)

Speaking of stamp collars, I found this one, apparently printed commercially as an enhancement for a patriotic cachet series, in a shoe box. Don't recall where I picked it up. Kind of interesting. It is my impression stamp collars were custom printed. I have another of this one, different cachet.

Don

b766.jpg

BettyBoop and Molokai like this.
  14. Molokai

Another sub-sub-sub collection for you! I have not been looking for them but I'll keep an eye for more along the way.

I found a few on eBay searching 'stamp dealer cover collar' including description. Very pretty - and pricey! Also, googling 'stamp collar covers' brings up some lovely examples.

Covers are easier to slip in to the house as opposed to a 30 lb box from the Czech Republic - my most recent chess books! My wife is the Imelda Marcos of earrings...but I can't bring it up because 'that's different' will be the reply. Best not to rock the boat I have found. My guiding marriage principle has always been 'Peace in our time!' :muted:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    DonSellos likes this.
  15. Molokai

I can't quite make this out. It is (I think) 'Thomas & Schoettner' or 'Thomas (middle initial) Schoettner'- either way I didn't have one of his/their covers. Some eye appeal.

Interesting the Virginia Dare block is very faded (I believe it is known for that) and the Fourth Bureau Franklin so bright and fresh. Was 26-cents a legit registered rate?

Nice copy of the ASDA Indian on the back.

SDC-Schoettner1.jpg

SDC-Schoettner2.jpg

BettyBoop and RichardBabcock like this.
  16. DonSellos

Very attractive cover. I am envious. Especially of the cinderella on the reverse. Re: registration rates. I have almost no knowledge of the registration rates of 1937, but I seem to remember that the rate was dependent upon the declared value of the contents. Also seems like I recall the basic rate was either 10c or 12c in the late thirties. Maybe someone with access to postal rates will confirm the rate for this letter. My observation is that stamp dealers rarely overpaid or underpaid the postage on their mailings. So, 3 cents postage for the letter would leave a registered rate of 23 cents. Correct or not, I don't know.

Don

Molokai likes this.
  17. Molokai

Thank You! It is a sweet cover. I have a book on US rates to foreign destinations but haven't yet acquired the one on Domestic destinations. I believe there are a couple of them, one being the companion to the book I have...need to look; another book! I've told the wife <DonSellos> has talked me into a lot of stamp books. Prepare for a good tongue-lashing when we do get together.:nailbiting:

<HOCH> seems to be our guru on rates, perhaps he will check in on it.

DonSellos likes this.
  18. RichardBabcock

5003-001.jpg This is a first flight 70 Nassau street cover and it is for sale.

19. RichardBabcock

The modern dealer cover edge on line sales .com Bloomington In IMG_20211024_0002.jpg The lack of cancels these days is concerning, I think they don't cancel them because they do not want the item in side taking damage.

20. RichardBabcock

2316.jpg This is not mine but i like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted