Stamp Dealer Covers

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Sweet! Well above my $35.00 limit for a SDC!:sorry:

2. Molokai

That would be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

3. RichardBabcock

RichardBabcock Well-Known Member

Maybe i should trade something for it.

4. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Here is a stamp publication cover, actually a wrapper, I picked out of a bargain box at a local stamp bourse in Oklahoma City last weekend. The Stamp Wholesaler was a long-running publication first published by Lucius Jackson and then others from 1936-1999, and for another year by Van Dahl Publications. It was a biweekly and ceased publication in 2000 according to the American Philatelic Research Library. Undated, except for the pencil annotation 3/29/48.

Don Sellos

b617.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Werner Salentin and Molokai like this.
  5. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

I was a reader of "The STAMP WHOLESALER" for a number of years.
    Herman Herst jr. wrote a column there,what was quite entertaining.

DonSellos likes this.
  6. Molokai

Here is one for the <STAMP DETECTIVE>. J.V. Painter was a famous collector late-19th to early 20th century:

What dealer in New York held Box 243 in 1896?:rolleyes:

SDC-JVPainter.jpg

RichardBabcock and DonSellos like this.
  7. DonSellos

From the shoe box collection comes this Nassau Street cover from Herbert A. Swift, also doing business as Wakonda Stamp Co. The American Stamp Dealers Assoc list does not include a x-reference from Wakonda to Swift and does not list Herbert Swift separately. It appears there were a few of these dealers that operated under two or more names. This cover is also one of the few that includes any kind of graphics in its return address, i.e. the stamp image with "U.S. Only" imposed on the map of the U.S.

Don

b622.jpg b623.jpg

Molokai and Werner Salentin like this.
  8. DonSellos

Here's my last Nassau Street stamp dealer's cover from the shoe box collection. An unusual name, Trifone. A surname, perhaps? Trifone Stamp Studio is not on the American Stamp Dealers Association list of Nassau Street dealers, also unusual given it dates back to the 1950s. Unfortunately, I know nothing about it.

Don

b624.jpg

9. Molokai

I don't believe you!:shifty:

Don's 'shoebox' ---

donsshoebox.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  10. DonSellos

Es la verdad!

Don

Hochstrasse likes this.
  11. Molokai

DonSellos likes this.
  12. DonSellos

Here are two Nassau Street covers, and no Molokai, they are not from my shoe box albums! :woot: Recent acquisitions, both. First, is a first-day cover of Sc. 778, the souvenir sheet commemorating the 3rd International Philatelic Exposition held in New York City and posted by Eugene Costales to a customer. The second from a lesser known dealer, Metropolitan Stamps. The latter looks like it may have carried a price list or advertising of some kind.

The Silver Mine, to which the Costales cover is addressed. was an Inn and Tavern in Norwalk, Connecticut, dating back to the early 19th century. It may be the addressee was the owner or possibly a resident.

Don

b653.jpg b654.jpg

Molokai and Werner Salentin like this.
  13. Molokai

Costales must of had a robust mail business! Yes, Metropolitan's are HTF - good job <MrStamp>!

14. RichardBabcock

Its not a Stamp Dealer LOL but 93 Nassau street sorry fellows IMG_20210731_0029.jpg

Molokai and DonSellos like this.
  15. DonSellos

1910 cover, probably before the stamp dealers moved in!

Don

16. RichardBabcock

There is a post card on ebay of this address and picture, If you want this for your collection send address and ill send it to you

17. DonSellos

@RichardBabcock

I would like to see it. Molokai is also interested in photos of Nassau Street office buildings. Why don't you post it here and we all can take a look at it.

Thanks.

Don

Molokai likes this.
  18. Molokai

Mostly attorneys and a couple of publishers before the stamp stampede. I think the oldest NS dealer I have is 1888. My current interest is in learning about the various building, getting pictures, trying to build a map circa 1930 or so.

DonSellos likes this.
  19. Molokai

Yes, indeed <Don>! I should have my other list together soon, I will send. Perhaps I have dups of dealers you do not have and visa-versa?

DonSellos likes this.
  20. RichardBabcock

Draft saved Draft deleted