Stamp Dealer Covers

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Nov 6, 2017.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Nice cover! Wonder who thought to cross out the PO Box #, Brazer or a post office clerk?

Don

2. DonSellos

Another Herman Herst cover with a different cachet. I am finding more and more Herst covers with different cachets. He apparently changed them frequently. The cartoon cachet on this one looks like he might have been trying to imitate Elmer Long who used John Coulthard cartoon art in his cachets.

Don Sellos

b587.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  3. DonSellos

This interesting war-time cover from L. Prochazka, a stamp dealer in Prague, came to me from an eBay auction. It is franked with Bohemian and Moravian stamps, including semi-postals commemorating the 150th anniversary of Mozart's death with labels featuring a bit of the score from Don Giovanni and Mozart's piano. The cover was posted on December 23, 1941, and later forwarded on December 24, 1941, only to languish somewhere until February 1, 1942, according to the cancels on the reverse. It was neatly opened at top. I'm not sure of the routing, or where this cover ended its journey. Any help would be appreciated. Can anyone interpret the inscription in image three?

Nevertheless, a nice addition to my stamp dealers cover collection.

Don Sellos

b590.jpg

b591.jpg

b592.jpg

Hochstrasse and Molokai like this.
  4. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Very attractive <DON>!

I stay with Nassau Street, sometimes NYC and East Coast covers but occasionally venture out if something is just too attractive to pass. Your interests and collections are much more varied, seems.

DonSellos likes this.
  5. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

Interesting cover !
    I am so sorry,but I cannot decipher the handwritten inscriptions.
    I can only guess.
    The last line could be: "nicht eingelößt",what would mean that the
    addressee declined to pay the COD of RM 16.85.
    But that is just a guess.However it could suggest,that the letter was
    either an unwanted (stamp-) shipment,or sent as a philatelic item
    in order to get it back as a "genuinely used" letter.
    The front does not indicate,why the address is crossed out.
    It simply reads: "zurück 2/1" (returned or back 2/1).
    Only one thing I can say for sure:
    Don,you misunderstood the reading of the date of the Minden cancel.
    2.1.42-22 means January 2nd,1942 - 22 h. ( and not Feb.1st !)
    The other Minden cancel is the arrival-cancel 24.12.41-23.
    As you rightly mentioned,there seems to be no dokumentation,
    that the letter reached Prag (Prague) again.
    I have no knowledge about the cancels of the "Reichsprotektorat".
    But it is for sure,that these are not ordinary Prag date-cancels,but
    some special cancellations.But I have no further idea.

Hochstrasse, Molokai and DonSellos like this.
  6. DonSellos

Molokai:

Most might say my collecting just lacks focus. I believe I have mentioned before my collections are like the Platte River, wide in spots, but never very deep. :woot:

Don

Molokai likes this.
  7. DonSellos

@Werner Salentin:

Thanks for you comments on the Prague stamp dealer cover. Very helpful!

Don

8. Molokai

I already have x2 Penny Black (NY) covers, but this was pretty and the price was right. Many cities had a 'Penny Black' stamp dealer. My go-to Denver dealer in the 1960s was a PB.

As <DON> has noted, Nassau Street covers seem to be getting hard-to-find. Apparently he and I are not the only ones collecting them!

SDC-PennyBlack3.jpg

9. RichardBabcock

RichardBabcock Well-Known Member

10. Molokai

Nassau Street. George Herzog. Attractive foreign stamps!

SDC-Herzog2.jpg

11. DonSellos

Strayed from the fold a little with the acquisition of this cover from Barr's Post Card News published in Lansing, Iowa. I purchased it for my Iowa cover collection, but also as a close cousin to stamp collecting periodicals. The illustration serving as a cachet is a puzzle to me, but, perhaps, not to deltiologists or Kewpie Doll collectors.

The cover is oddly franked with three 6.3 cents stamps, Sc. 1518 issued Oct 1, 1974, plus one 1.1/4 cents stamp Sc 1031A from the Liberty definitive issue, June 17, 1960, for a total of 20.015 cents. The domestic postal rate in November 1981 was 20 cents. If I did my fractions correctly, the cover is overpaid by .015 of one cent. An added collecting point for coil collectors is the line pair on the right two 6.9c stamps.

Don Sellos
    b608.jpg b609.jpg

12. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Hi Don,
    What seems odd to me is the photo postcard of Bonniebrook and Rose O'Neill on a printed card for Barr's News. It seems a strange combination, but a very interesting philatelic piece. The kewpie doll being part cherub, part elf is collectible in it's own right making this card even more unique and desirable.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    Molokai and DonSellos like this.
  13. Molokai

Nice cover and a lot going on in it!

DonSellos likes this.
  14. DonSellos

For a couple of years now, I have been looking for a cover from Chambers Stamp Journal with no success. The card below soliciting an ad is the closest I have come and it will have to suffice until a corner card cover comes along. However, I would have bought this card anyway because several years ago I corresponded with the addressee about an article in the Iowa Postal History Society Journal. I believe he has since passed away.

Don

b610.jpg b611.jpg

15. Molokai

Of all the philatelic magazines I have or have seen Chambers is my favorite. Philatelic Gossip would be a close second.

DonSellos likes this.
  16. DonSellos

Out of the shoe box is this Nassau Street cover from the Manhattan Stamp Exchange. Not one of the higher profile dealers. I know nothing about it except it is listed on the American Stamp Dealers list of Nassau Street dealers. The addressee is listed in both editions of the Blue Book of Philately as a dealer. The 1935 edition has him at Kew Gardens, NY, the 1938 at the address on this cover.

Don

b616.jpg

Molokai, Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  17. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

A nice item but I wonder how many people saw this in all these spam messages ?
    I have deleted numerous messages today,and have tried to contact Admin to see exactly what is happening.Until this mess gets straightened out,I will no longer post items,

18. Molokai

Do you have a list of your NS covers <DON>? Of those you've shown here there are four dealers I do not have. I am updating my list and would like to see if there are others I've missed.

19. DonSellos

Hi Molokai:

No, I don't have a list of Nassau St dealers, but I will put one together. I am currently trying to get all of my Nassau St covers out of the shoe boxes and I can make an accurate list once that is done. I'll send you a copy.

Don

Molokai likes this.
  20. RichardBabcock

RichardBabcock Well-Known Member

067251.jpg I dont own this but like it, comes with a hefty price of 400 dollars.

Draft saved Draft deleted