Stamp Dealer Covers

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Hi Don,
    I love the cover, but what strikes me the most is the insert advertising for a 137 page U.S. stamp album for $1.10.

DonSellos likes this.
  2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

A dollar was worth a lot in the mid-1930s. Surely would have seemed like a lot of money to the average stamp collector. What always amazes me is how dealers could make a living charging 7 & 9 cents for covers featuring the 1 and 3 cents Century of Progress stamps.

Don

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Hochstrasse likes this.
  3. Hochstrasse

Hi Don,
    I suppose you're right at a minimum wage of 25c a $1.10 represented a significant amount money back then. Every now and again I look up what a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread or gallon of gas cost at some specific year and reflect upon it. How cover dealers made any money on such a slim margin is a very good question? They either loved the hobby as many still do today or they had a very large volume.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    DonSellos likes this.
  4. DonSellos

A roughly opened cover from Kenmore Stamp Company, an old-line approval dealer. It appears that Kenmore was offering a copy of France, Sc. 730, the 12 francs stamp commemorating the Legion of Honor, a military decoration, as a premium to approval customers. The semi-mute meter imprint leaves the cover undated. The French stamp was issued in 1954, so the cover would have been posted after that, maybe late 1950s or early 1960s.

Don Sellos

b577.jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
  5. DonSellos

Another newly acquired stamp dealer's cover, this one from Frank Warner, 109 Nassau Street. it has an added collecting point of an American Stamp Dealer's Association advance label for the 7th ASDA stamp show. A decent Nassau Street cover, but I wish the corner card advertisement were printed and the advance label tied.

Don Sellos

b581.jpg

6. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Two interesting-to-me Herman Herst covers I recently purchased.

If you’ve read Nassau Street you will know Herst was not a big FDR fan. So, receiving a letter with a large portrait of same must have elicited an interesting response.

The other cover, from I think his first or second overseas trip shows he had enough correspondence to invest in a rubber stamp.

SDC-HerstX1.jpg

SDC-HerstX2.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  7. Molokai

An early cover from the peripatetic Bartels. I do not own this one; it is on eBay with a price out of my budget. :( This makes five (or six?) addresses for him.

SDC-BartelsDC.jpg

Werner Salentin and Hochstrasse like this.
  8. Hochstrasse

Hi Molokai,
    Good to see you posting again. I like the parade of Bartels covers coming from the 5 addresses. I found a cover from Washington D.C. circa 1898 from a Siegel Auction you might find interesting. Not only is it a first day cover it appears to be a twin mailing from another cover that appears unidentified as a Bartel cover. We know it is because of the addressee and registration sequence. The story on the virtual stamp club link is interesting, perhaps you are familiar with it?
    https://siegelauctions.com/2018/1188/99.pdf
    [​IMG]
    http://www.virtualstampclub.com/king_fdc.html

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  9. RichardBabcock

RichardBabcock Well-Known Member

a9ab233757e62ecd34898549ad86ac45.jpg A late rpo use 1927 of a 1893 stamp with broken frameline. Is this company still in business?

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  10. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

View attachment 14504 [/QUOTE]

I was quite surprised to learn,that the US were included in the tariff-zone
    of the postage rates for mail within the British Empire.

11. DonSellos

Doubtful. Hanover, Kansas, has a population of about 650 souls in 2018. Surely, O,K. Stamps was a short-lived mail order venture. Nice cover, though, with its clearly struck Railway Post Office cancel, Columbian franking, and catchy name.

Don

Hochstrasse likes this.
  12. DonSellos

Hi @Molokai

Very nice Herst covers! Is there a return address on the reverse indicating who might have sent that cover to him? The cachet looks like a left over from the FDR Memorial Issue of 1945-1946, Sc. 930-933. Also a nice NYC post office station cancel.

Don

13. Molokai

I was happy to get this cover. Interesting in-and-of itself for the stamps and markings. Percy Doane was of course a well-know dealer and author. Oscar A. Schenck was a well-known collector. His stamps were sold at a multi-part auction in 1951 by Harmer, Rooke.

The Tribune building was at the corner of Nassau and Spruce streets; officially 154 Printing House Square. Close enough to call it an NS cover for me! The building itself had an interesting history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Tribune_Building

SDC-Doane4.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  14. Hochstrasse

Hi Molokai,
    With 90 feet of frontage on Nassau Street it's definitely close enough. Interesting article and a noteworthy building. I'm conflicted about whether the replacement 1 Pace Plaza is an improvement or not.

DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  15. Molokai

Two new-to-me Nassau Street dealers. One with the insert.

Herman Herst said that at any one time there were 40-50 dealers in the 116 building. Given turnover (probably high) I am guesstimating over the years 200 dealers made 116 their home. So...despite collecting NS covers for five years now I am surely missing many, many dealers.:bucktooth:

SDC-Stampex.jpg

SDC-Cheney.jpg

16. DonSellos

I think you are well ahead of me. It's difficult to find NS covers these days.

Don

17. Molokai

At some point, they decided to move in with the flock @ 116.

SDC-Cosmos.jpg

RichardBabcock and DonSellos like this.
  18. RichardBabcock

RichardBabcock Well-Known Member

19. DonSellos

A recent acquisition this cover from the Association for Stamp Exhibitions headquartered at 70 Nassau Street, New York City, with John A. Klemann as secretary. I believe this is the same Klemann who was the proprietor of Nassau Street Stamps at 68 Nassau Street. The cover has the added collecting point of being addressed to Max Johl, noted U.S. collector and author of U.S. Postage Stamps of the Twentieth Century and U.S. Commemorative Postage Stamps of the Twentieth Century.

The Association for Stamp Exhibitions is on the American Stamp Dealers Assoc., list of Nassau Street tenants, but at 68 Nassau Street, the same office number as Klemann's shop. This cover, however, surely predates the ASDA list. It appears that the Association lasted until 1979 when the state of New York listed the corporation as "dissolved."

Don Sellos

b586.jpg

Werner Salentin and Hochstrasse like this.
  20. Molokai

Dealer-to-dealer. Both Brazer and Perry were well-known philatelic writers and researchers. Perry's Pat Para-Graphs is considered a classic on U.S. stamp topics. Published as a newsletter originally, now available in book format - a $20 bargain, IMHO.

SDC-BrazerPerry.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted