Stamp Dealer Covers

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Nov 6, 2017.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

A recently acquired cover from the stamp auction partnership of Billig & Rich. Billig, was Fritz Billig, an immigrant from Austria of the late 1930s, and Rich, who was Fred Rich, also from Vienna, Austria, and Billig's former stamp dealer partner there. Billig was the better known of the two because of his voluminous publications on forgeries and postmarks. Billig was also a bibliographer of philatelic literature. The franking on this cover is Sc. 966, the 3 cents stamp issued August 30, 1948, and commemorating the Palomar Mountain Observatory located in southeastern California (San Diego County). Not sure where in NYC it is, but this is the first cover I have postmarked at the Bryant Station.

DonSellos

b426.jpg

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Hi Don,
    The Bryant Station P.O. is 23W 43rd Street fairly close to 55 West 42nd Street. I love the markings on this piece, the football shaped 18 stamp with the Bryant Station stamp apparently duplicated over the stamps.

DonSellos likes this.
  3. DonSellos

Hi Hochstrasse:

I have a question about the 18 in the killer portion of the canceling device. I initially thought it might be the number of the canceler in that station, but then I noticed that the return address was New York 18, N.Y. and realized that the 18 was likely the station's zone number.

Do you, or anyone else, know what the 18 in the killer represents?

Thanks for the location of that station.

Don

4. Hochstrasse

Don,

I think the 18 is a notation of zip code. The Bryant Station is in midtown New York in the 10018 zone.

DonSellos likes this.
  5. DonSellos

Hi Hochstrasse:

Thanks for the confirmation. Couldn't be Zip Code, though. Zip Code didn't appear until 1963 and the post mark is from 1949. I'll go with Zone number. Interesting that Bryant Station retained number 18 in the transition from Zone to Zip.

Don

Hochstrasse likes this.
  6. Hochstrasse

Hi Don,
    You are right about the introduction of zip code coming much later, but what many people don't know is that the precursor of the zip code system happened much earlier as the article I'm linking to alludes to. It began as an outgrowth of WWII. USPOD "created a coding system in 1943 to divide delivery areas within the 124 largest cities in the country. The code would appear between the city and the state (e.g., Seattle 6, Washington)." The number 18 would be such a code developed at that time.
    https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-a-zip-code-1434625

RichardBabcock and DonSellos like this.
  7. DonSellos

A couple stamp accessories dealers covers. The Lindner Company is still around and going strong. It originated in post-WW II Germany, started by August Lindner in 1947. Now into its fourth generation of the Lindner family according to its webpage. Lindner manufactures and sells both coin and stamp collecting accessories. This cover came with a refund letter for an item not in stock.

b470.jpg
    b471.jpg

Not sure what became of the Aristocrat Stamp Album Company. I believe there is still a stamp album marketed under the name Aristocrat, but I don't know if it is made and sold by the same company or a successor. I also don't know how the page design as shown on this cover worked. Looks like a quadrilled blank page was overlaid in black with openings for stamps with titles preprinted. My impression is it was a premium album in its day. Anyone still have one of these albums? I don't remember ever seeing one.

b472.jpg

Don Sellos

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  8. Hochstrasse

Hi Don,
    I'm very familiar with Lindner products, but alas use them only for supplies like stock pages, stock books or hinges.
    I think the Aristocrat album pre-dates my experience. I don't know if the Aristocrat Stamp Album Co. was a subsidiary of Grossman Stamp Company Inc. or not because Grossman did market albums under the Aristocrat name. I have seen some album auctions online and they do look like very nice albums. Grossman Stamp Company Inc. filed for dissolution as did many of the old time stamp companies, as you know. Beside Scott I have Kabe, Minkus and White Ace albums. They are all still in print.
    Love those great covers that are historical markers for the hobby.

DonSellos likes this.
  9. RichardBabcock

RichardBabcock Well-Known Member

10. Hochstrasse

Nice use of express mail and priority mail stamps Richard!

DonSellos likes this.
  11. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

To me it looks like a good example of an incompetent postal service
    and a sender,who is not much better.
    The upper stamps are pasted on a fold,so that all but one were damaged
    on the way.Cannot really see,wether the tape at the top did further
    damage.As so often in some countries,the stamps are not cancelled,
    let alone nicely cancelled.
    So a fine letter for a horror-show.What a shame !

Hochstrasse and DonSellos like this.
  12. Hochstrasse

Werner you nailed it! The USPS isn't known for its careful treatment of postal material with respect to philatelists. I have lots of examples of high value stamps on envelopes and flats with clerks putting tape on them, ink smears from flat cancelers and folds and wrinkles from folding flaps.

DonSellos likes this.
  13. DonSellos

A couple of recently acquired stamp dealers covers. I collected the Hussman cover for its larger than usual company advertising on the left side. Not sure why the cover was assessed postage due. Might have been over weight or maybe should have been 3 cents postage, i.e. 1 cent postage due, plus 1 cent penalty assessed, or possibly returned and postage due?? I don't know enough about postal rates to analyze this one.

b486.jpg

The second cover from Blox-O-Stamps Brokerage caught my eye for its use of the 2 cents National Parks issue and for the light cancel admonition printed in the upper right corner of the envelope, plus the Kard-Kwote statement lower left. I take the latter to be "card-quote" which may have been some type of preprinted response for want lists.

b487.jpg

Both headed for my Stamp Dealers Covers collection.

Don

14. Hochstrasse

Hi Don,
    I think your instinct about the Hussman Stamp envelope is likely correct that it was probably overweight.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    DonSellos likes this.
  15. RichardBabcock

RichardBabcock Well-Known Member

IMG_20210318_0001.jpg
    Tape was not sticky came right off, Yes its true I would have like some nice cancel on my materials but usually just a marker strike or nothing at all, Like they are scared to place a real cancel on this material? I opened from the top with a letter operner forged by my son.A minni sword, Nice and sharp cuts the top on the whole seam no damage.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  16. DonSellos

Below are three recently acquired covers for my Philatelic Publications collection. According to the American Philatelic Research Library catalog, the first cover is from a one issue only publication. World Philately published Vol 1, No. 1 in September 1935 and no other issues followed. This is a wrapper and may have carried a sample copy.

b498.jpg

The second cover, The Philatelic Tribune was published from 1885 to 1909 with breaks in the early years of the 20th century.

b499.jpg

L. T. Brodstone of Superior, Nebraska, published Philatelic West and Collectors World. It ran between 1901 and 1930 with several title variations. During its last years, it was the official organ of the Nebraska Philatelic Society. It was ultimately merged into Hobbies Magazine. The atrocious handwriting reads: Crawford Stamp Company, 2355 N. Grand, Connersville, Ind. Since there are no "Return to Sender" markings, the letter, presumably, was delivered.

b500.jpg

Don Sellos

Werner Salentin likes this.
  17. DonSellos

A recent Nassau Street acquisition. I am not familiar with P. Goodman as a stamp dealer. Don't even remember seeing any of his ads in the stamp publications. He is, however, on the American Stamp Dealers Association list of Nassau Street dealers, so I can check off one more. The ASDA list indicates he started on Nassau Street in 1945. The cover is not dated, but I estimate it is from the late 1940s.

Don Sellos

b510.jpg

Werner Salentin and Hochstrasse like this.
  18. DonSellos

Below are a couple of advertising covers from the Fleetwood Cover Service. E. Milnor Peck owned Fleetword and was married to Travilla Ioor, the sister of chiropractor and first-day cover dealer Harry Ioor. According to this brief sketch, http://www.rhodesianstudycircle.org.uk/harry-c-ioor/ Peck lost interest in his business and first day covers after Travilla died in 1967. He sold the Fleetwood brand to Unicover in Cheyenne, Wyoming in 1968.

To me, these are attractive cachets. I will have to watch for others.

Don Sellos

b535.jpg b536.jpg

19. DonSellos

Frank Applegate was a dealer in state revenue stamps, perhaps, part time, His entry in the 1938 Blue Book of Philately also listed him as a builder, presumably of houses. He was an officer in the Interstate Philatelic Association and author of a state tax stamps catalog. This cover has a cinderella not connected to revenues as a seal on the reverse.

Don Sellos
    b538.jpg b539.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  20. DonSellos

A Walter Poppenger stamp dealer cover out of the shoe box collection. Poppenger has entries in both the 1935 and 1938 Blue Book of Philately listing him as a dealer in stamps and covers. He is, perhaps, best known for his WW II patriotic cachets. The cover came with the below ad enclosed and most likely carried a price list of stamps and covers offered. While the postmark does not include a date, the insert indicates that the cover was sent in mid-1933

Don Sellos

b540.jpg b541.jpg

Hochstrasse and Werner Salentin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted