Stamp Dealer Covers

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Noted, no extra funds for fancy stationary. The good ones made a decent living; few got rich. Herst would be one of those, I suppose. Still, he 'got lucky' very early, finding an inverted Pictorial in an antique shop. That financed his first trip to Europe which he seemed to own, philatelically speaking, for some years.

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Rummaging the shoe box again and turned up this Nassau Street cover from SSS, which I'm sure stands for Subway Stamp Shop. SSS may have been the last stamp dealer on Nassau Street. Unfortunately, The roller cancel did not produce a legible date, but based on the use of the Jupiter stamp, posting would have been no earlier than February 28, 1975, its first-day of issue per Scott.

Subway is still selling, but it looks like only supplies and accessories now. Here's a brief history taken from Subway's home page:

"Simon E Goldberg was a lifelong stamp collector. In the evenings he made stamp packets from duplicates and lots, and sold them from displays he placed in luncheonettes, cigar and candy stores. In the late 1940's Simon, using his own collection, opened a stamp collecting department in the corner of a cousin's camera shop in Brooklyn (NY). The business quickly grew and in 1952 Simon made the move to world famous "Nassau Street" (New York City) when he purchased Subway Stamp Shop (est. 1931). The store was located in the subway arcade at 87 Nassau Street (hence the name Subway) until Subway relocated to larger quarters on the 2nd floor at 111 Nassau Street. ... . Subway moved to Altoona, Pennsylvania, in 1994."

Don

b223.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Werner Salentin likes this.
  3. DonSellos

Back to philatelic publications with this recent acquisition of an Envelope World cover from 1951. This periodical published from 1949 to 1970. I've never seen a copy, but it apparently specialized in postal stationery. The addressee has an entry in the 1938 Blue Book of Philately. He was a member of Julien Dubuque Stamp Club and collected U.S. and covers prior to 1890. The new envelope referred to at the lower left is apparently Sc. 534b.

Don

b254.jpg

4. DonSellos

Tex Edmunds was a cachet artist and designer and dealer who serviced philatelic and special event covers. Somewhere I have one of his covers, but can't find it right now. His covers turn up on eBay ever once in awhile, most of them not overly pricey. This cover dates from the early-1940s and shows a couple of his cachets on the left side. It is also a patriotic and includes the "Keep 'em Flying" slogan which I like to collect on covers and cinderellas.

Don

b262.jpg

5. DonSellos

I've been looking for a cover from Kenmore Stamp Company of Milford, NH for some time now without success until late last month when this rather anemic example turned up. The scarcity of Kenmore covers surprises me as it was one of the larger approval dealers in the mid-20th century and even a matchbook advertiser. Seems like there should be one or more available at any given time. Not so, and I grabbed this one as soon as it was listed even though it is franked with a lightly inked meter. It will do until a better example comes along. I am glad to have it.

DonSellos

b291.jpg

6. DonSellos

I am borrowing this thread again to post a couple of philatelic publication covers. Found 'em in the shoe box.

The first is from National Stamp News. I have never seen a copy of this publication. The American Philatelic Society Library catalog records show two publications with this name, but the one below was published from 1951 to 1979 with the record indicating it was absorbed by Stamp Collector when it ceased publishing. National Stamp News was a monthly.

The second cover below is from Stamp Collector.

I have some recollection of it and was a subscriber for a time. I doubt this cover went through the mail. It has only a 1c transportation coil for postage and the cancel is printed on the envelope. Nor is there any indication that the cover was ever addressed. My guess is it and its accompanying letter offering a subscription renewal at a reduced price was an advertising insert in an issue of the publication. Stamp Collector was the successor to Western Stamp Collector, which Krause publications bought in 1996. Krause published it until 2004.

No recollection of how I got these two items. The National Stamp News cover may have been in a small lot of covers that I bought and the Stamp Collector may have been in a issue I received while a subscriber.

Both are headed for my Philatelic Publications cover collection.

DonSellos

b292.jpg b293.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    anglobob likes this.
  7. DonSellos

I'm going to stretch this thread a little farther and include a cover from Walter J. Rozmin, a dealer in philatelic literature. I don't recognize his name, but it appears from listings in the APS library catalog that he was a well known philatelic bibliographer who edited a couple of literature reviews in the late 1930s.

The cover is Sc. U537, a surcharged U429, issued in 1958. Rozmin's return address is residential, so he must have been doing business out of his house.

DonSellos

b295.jpg

Hochstrasse likes this.
  8. DonSellos

A large, registered cover from stamp dealer and philatelic writer George B. Sloane to collector Albert W. Claflin. The registry cancels on the reverse are dated 1922.

Sloane has entries in both the 1935 and 1938 Blue Book of Philately. He was an auctioneer and well known columnist for Stamps Magazine. He had an office at 110 Nassau Street, but, unfortunately, this cover bears a Collectors Club return address. He was a member of the Collectors Club of New York and also wrote for its publication, the Collectors Club Philatelist.

Claflin also has an entry in the 1938 Blue Book of Philately that identifies him as a wholesale druggist and president of the Rhode Island Philatelic Society and a life member of the APS. He specialized in collecting early U.S. and Great Britain colonies.

The cover, perhaps, carried some high-dollar early stamps to the addressee.

DonSellos

b316.jpg

Werner Salentin and Hochstrasse like this.
  9. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Very nice cover Don. I do really like covers bearing stamps of the 4th Bureau issues. I have a theory about the cover. The size and shape sort of it reminds me of an invitation cover. Perhaps the Collector Club was hosting an event?

DonSellos likes this.
  10. DonSellos

Yes, that could well be. I also thought that the cover may have contained a manuscript of some type submitted by the addressee and being returned by Sloane, or a "tear sheet" of something Sloane wrote. The cover's 1922 date is ten years prior to the beginning of Stamps Magazine, so Sloane's writings would most likely have been for a Collectors Club publication. However, it seems a little extravagant, and unnecessary, to register an invitation, publication, or the return of a manuscript.

At the same time, the envelope is much larger than needed to send stamps to a customer, covers, maybe yes. That might be the answer, the addressee may have bought some covers from Sloane.

DonSellos

Hochstrasse likes this.
  11. Hochstrasse

Don,
    You certainly could be right, without the contents it's anyone's guess. There could be any number of explanations. I would further speculate on my theory that an invitation with a program and RSVP return envelope could also explain the registered mail.

DonSellos likes this.
  12. DonSellos

Three recent acquisitions for the Nassau Street collection. I don't recognize any of the dealers and only one of the addressees. Albert Claflin, the addressee of the M. Herbert & Company cover is in the 1938 Blue Book of Philately. He was a wholesale druggist and president of the Rhode Island Philatelic Society, a life member of the APS, and specializing in collecting early U.S. and Great Britain colonies. He was also the addressee of the large cover from George Sloane just above.

I do not see the Sure-Saving Stamp Company on the American Stamp Dealers list of Nassau Street dealers. Perhaps, Sure-Saving was a short-lived resident. If that is the case, I consider myself fortunate to have acquired one of its covers.

DonSellos

b340.jpg b341.jpg b342.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Hochstrasse likes this.
  13. Hochstrasse

Don, you may be right about the Sure-Saving Stamp Co., it drew a blank on my Internet search. Really nice finds.

DonSellos likes this.
  14. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

Somehow I remember Frank Knina.Must have been many years ago,
    when I bought something from him.
    I typed : Frank Knina stamps
    On top of the page was a part of stamp-magazine from 1962.
    Scrolling down,there was an ad by Frank.
    Little bit further down I found an ad by B.Kleinberg.Possibly the
    dealer I had the most interesting contact with any dealer ever.
    Fond memories !

Hochstrasse and DonSellos like this.
  15. DonSellos

From Madison Supply Company comes another "cousin" to stamp dealer's covers, a supplier of philatelic accessories. The small image in the lower left calls attention to Wingra files for mint sheets.

Don

b348.jpg

16. DonSellos

The Journal referenced on this cover (wrapper actually) is that of the Postal Traders Society organized and headquartered in England. The PTS, a counterpart to the American Stamp Dealers Association, was founded in 1929 and appears to still be active. It's homepage, however, no longer mentions a publication and the American Philatelic Research Library catalog notes the publication of the PTS Journal from 1947 to 1982. Since this cover is postmarked 31 May 1985 that creates a question as to what it contained. A back issue, perhaps, or another publication using a leftover PTS Journal wrapper. I'm putting it in my Philatelic Publications cover collection, at least until I can find an "in-period" example.

Don Sellos

b350.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  17. DonSellos

Another recent philatelic publication acquisition, this one from First Day Flashes published by The Cover Exchange of Scranton, Pennsylvania. No date with the precancel, but surely late 1930s or early 1940s. The American Philatelic Research Library catalogs this as an occasional publication and apparently has issues between 1942 and 1947.

The reference to First Day Flashes on this cover was a bonus. I was just trying to find a Cover Exchange cover and this one was the first I saw. I had been looking for one as a companion piece to the Cover Exchange's se-tenant "Collect Covers" cinderella I acquired earlier for my cinderella collection. Both the cover and the cinderella may be seen below.

DonSellos

b354.jpg b355.jpg

Hochstrasse and Werner Salentin like this.
  18. DonSellos

A 1951 Nassau Street stamp dealer cover from Zenith Stamp Company that carried a list of special offers to a customer. It is a little out of the ordinary in that it is a #10 legal sized envelope. While I have a couple of other #10s from stamp dealers, it is my experience that they used the smaller #6 envelopes most often. This cover is franked with Sc. 907, the 1943 Allied Nations stamp and has a semi-mute postmark.

This is the second Zenith Stamp Co cover I have found. The other is a 1949 postal card offering a lot of 600 plus stamps, with approvals. It may be seen at post 400 above.

DonSellos

b371.jpg

Werner Salentin and Hochstrasse like this.
  19. Hochstrasse

Don,
    A well-known New York philatelic dealer, Mr. S. M. Friedlander, of Zenith Stamps Co., with offices in London could very well have also produced a Zenith Stamp Album which came out of London. I have seen a couple of them on Web. Would you know if this is indeed the case?

DonSellos likes this.
  20. RichardBabcock

RichardBabcock Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted