Stamp Dealer Covers

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Henkle

Henkle folklib.net/fdc

811-harrison1-dhh.gif

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  2. Henkle

Henkle folklib.net/fdc

Harrison Stamp Company: The first and last ones I have seen, either with or without a corner card address, or with or without a cachet, are #811 -- 7-28-1938 thru #897 -- 7-10-1940. All the covers I have or have seen are displayed at: https://www.folklib.net/fdc/makers/harrison.shtml .
    Intercity Stamp Company: The first and last ones I have seen are #853-53 -- 4-01-1939 thru #926-46 -- 10-31-1944. I have not seen any covers with this dealer's corner card. All the covers I have or have seen are displayed at: https://www.folklib.net/fdc/makers/intercity.shtml 854-50-1-intercity-dhh.gif

Molokai, DonSellos and anglobob like this.
  3. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Hi Doug:

Great covers. I'll have to watch for one from Intercity Stamps. I'd like to add it to my collection.

Welcome to the Exchange, glad to have you aboard and hope to see more of your covers. You and I exchanged a few emails and images last year? about John Coulthard art and Elmer Long covers. Great webpage you maintain.

Don

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  4. DonSellos

An illustrated, recently acquired cover of W. Parker Lyon, Pasadena stamp dealer specializing in stampless covers. This one comes with three collateral items, two long, single spaced letters extolling the merits of stampless covers and one depicting a lot of covers he recently purchased, the last shown below.

I haven't taken the time to read the wordy letters, but from skimming them it appears he also dealt in drawings, lithographs, etc.

No info on the addressee.

Don

b166.jpg b167.jpg

Molokai and Werner Salentin like this.
  5. DonSellos

I have several Milton Mauck covers in my collections, but this is the only one I have that identifies him as a dealer in airmail stamps and covers. Mauck was a prolific preparer of first-day and airmail covers in the late 1920s early 1930s, and, for reasons I don't know, they sell for quite high prices on eBay. He was a contemporary of A.C. Rosseler and originally had a store in Baltimore, but moved to Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Some of my other Mauck covers with his airmail designator designs may be seen in post #218, Stamp Chat, Airmail Borders.

Don

b172.jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
  6. DonSellos

Herman Herst used several different cachets on his business envelopes, including this WW II patriotic while still at his 116 Nassau Street address. "Keep 'em Flying" was a popular slogan during the war years. It usually referred to combat aircraft, but in this case, the reference is to the flags of the Allied Nations. The addressee has a listing in the 1938 Blue Book of Philately. He was a Los Angeles stamp dealer making this a dealer to dealer cover.

DonSellos

b181.jpg

Molokai and anglobob like this.
  7. DonSellos

A personal cover from an US Army Air Force private first class to the Nassau Stamp Company, 68 Nassau Street, with "Free" franking and "Keep 'em Flying" labels on cover. The free franking label is tied. It's a tossup where I might put this cover, stamp dealers or cinderellas on cover. I guess it will go in Stamp Dealers Covers with a x-reference to Cinderellas on Cover in my index.

As an aside, the Casper Army Air Field was activated on September 1, 1942. The incredible number of 400 buildings were constructed on the base in a 3 1/2 month period. In my opinion, feats like that could not be done today. The base trained bomber crews. It was deactivated in March, 1945. The base is now the Natrona Country Municipal Airport.

DonSellos

b182.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    anglobob and Molokai like this.
  8. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Very attractive NS cover!!

9. DonSellos

Back on June 17, 2020, in this thread, there was some discussion about philatelic mail cancel lightly statements on covers and it is that topic which prompted me to buy this cover. While I haven't yet found a reference to Beebe of Yonkers being a stamp dealer, the "Please Cancel Lightly" label makes me think Beebe was a dealer. In any event, I also am thinking there is a large variety of such labels, mostly on covers, and they might be an interesting sideline collection. I have them on my watch list. Anyone else have covers with these labels affixed?

DonSellos

b184.jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
  10. Molokai

DonSellos likes this.
  11. DonSellos

Nice Hudson Terminal Annex cancel on that cover too. Must have been relatively easy to pack up and move even a large stamp stock. Much like many of the larger dealers do at contemporary stamp shows and exhibitions.

Don

12. Molokai

Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  13. DonSellos

Interesting franking on the cover. That's an odd overprint. Even looking at the catalog I can't determine what that central figure between 1945 and the surcharge represents. Anyone know?

Don

14. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

Don,
    I think,no I´m quite sure,it is the Nike (greek goddess of victory)
    of Samothrace.
    A marble-skulpture from around 190 B.C.,to be seen in the Louvre.

Molokai likes this.
  15. DonSellos

Hi Werner:

Yes, I think that is it. I would have never guessed it. Thanks.

Don

16. DonSellos

It seems like I would have posted a Linn's Weekly cover before, but I don't find one using the Exchange search feature. I was rummaging the shoe box last week end and turned up four Linn's covers so I might as well post them all at once.

The first one on the left is the earliest I have. The second came with a letter on Linprint letterhead offering postage stamp jigsaw puzzles at $5.00 per 100. I wonder if the Amity Standard was considering giving them away as a premium of some kind? The first two covers have the old Columbus, Ohio, address. The third, undated, but surely posted during WW II (1941 -1945) based on the patriotic "Buy Bonds" cachet, and the fourth posted in 1954 both show the more familiar Sidney, Ohio, location. The fourth cover addressed to Bowie Stamp Service may have carried advertising rates information or a bill for same. I Googled the address of Bowie and it is a residence, looks like a duplex or townhouse, so the proprietor must have been operating a mail order service out of his home.

It's my observation that Linn's and H. L. Linquist Publications are the most frequently seen philatelic publication covers, with Meekels, maybe in third place.

Don
    b189.jpg b190.jpg b191.jpg b192.jpg b193.jpg

Molokai and Werner Salentin like this.
  17. Molokai

Lakeland Stamp Company?

For a short time in the early 1950s, Herman Herst ran a full-page advertisement in the SPA Journal. In one ad (March, 1950) he promotes his approval service and the subsidiary he created for it, Lakeland Stamp Company.

He gives the address and encourages those interested in approvals to write to it (Shrub Oak, NY). I assume he would have had cards and stationery for this company? I’ve never seen a Lakeland Stamp Co cover from Shrub Oak.

Anyone have such a cover?

18. DonSellos

I checked my shoe box and no l don't have one.

Don

19. Molokai

About as Plain Jane as a cover gets - but I had neither a General nor the address - 100 Nassau Street. Proprietor was L.Tankel and he was there for at least 10 years based on postmark and the SPA Journal ad where I found him.

SDC-GeneralStampCo.jpg

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  20. DonSellos

Good find! Nice cover.

I have noted that stamp dealers, generally, did not use "flashy" or heavily illustrated covers. A few exceptions, of course, but not many. Many were marginal operations and it was just cheaper to print a company name and address and let that suffice. My observation is that Herman Herst may have used the most frequently illustrated stationery. I have around six different return logos or cachets from him and still see others on eBay that I don't have. As I recall, his Nassau Street stationery was just name and address.

Don

Draft saved Draft deleted