Stamp Dealer Covers

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

I am not sure where this item fits in the scheme-of-things, but I thought it was pretty cool and have never seen one.

SDcoin-Brennan.jpg

Attached Files:

DonSellos likes this.
  2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Me either, and, yes, it is real cool. What's it made of brass, copper, something else? Looks heavy and well struck. Maybe you should put the image up on Peter's companion coin collectors forum.

Don

3. Molokai

Guessing copper. Appears aged like some Indian Head pennies I have. Not very large, right around 1" diameter but it was one of those 'had to have it' things. I wonder if there is a cindy promoting a coin dealer?:rolleyes:

Don't think I have a 37 NS, need to check. I am going to see if Dawn can use it somehow in the logo for the NS website.

4. Molokai

Tribune Stamp Company @ 140 Nassau Street. Postmark is 1950.

I don't really understand this one; somebody enlighten me.:bucktooth:

SDC-Tribune-1-1.jpg

Attached Files:

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  5. DonSellos

Hi Molokai:

I'll take a shot at explanation on this cover.

It is a cover posted by the Ministry of Propaganda to the Tribune Stamp Co. The Spanish word propaganda does not have the negative connotations of the same word in English. In this instance it might be translated as publicity or maybe even information. Note that the top of the handstamp includes "correos y telecomunicacions" indicating that the Ministry of Propaganda was an agency within the department of postal affairs and telecommunications. This ministry may have been responsible for information about new postal issues.

The cover's post mark is to the left of the propaganda stamp.

What puzzles me about the cover is that it lacks franking. It is possible that the propaganda handstamp served as both an office of origination indicator and a postage paid frank. Don't know for sure.

The registry label looks torn, but I don't seen evidence of a missing piece on the envelope. The receiving post marks on the reverse indicated it was treated as a registered letter in NYC.

My guess is this cover carried a response to Tribune Stamp Co., regarding new issues or maybe information and a sample of a recently issued stamp or stamp set, or listing of stamps available for sale.

That's my take on this cover, all strictly conjecture. Others may have a more definitive answer. Overall, an interesting NS cover.

I have two covers from Tribune Stamp Co., one a 1951 Nassau Street cover, indicating Tribune occupied a suite, 407-408, so it must have been quite successful. The second cover shows Tribune to be located in Larchmont, NY, in 1953. The latter may be seen in post #247 above.

Don

Molokai and Werner Salentin like this.
  6. Molokai

7. DonSellos

Thread and forum discipline on The Stamp Exchange is not very well enforced so I am going to continue posting a philatelic publication cover in stamp dealer covers. Also too lazy to try and move the earlier ones.

According to the American Philatelic Research Library catalog, this stamp monthly only published from January 1924 thru June 1925, or eighteen issues. Since this cover was postmarked in late May, 1925, it was close to the end of the paper's life.

It is a little odd to me that Harrisville, Michigan, was the home of the publication, yet this cover was posted at Indianapolis. Perhaps, the publisher had moved and this envelope carried notice that the June issue would be the paper's last. A short-lived publication.

I have no information about the publisher or the addressee.

Don

b123.jpg

Werner Salentin and Molokai like this.
  8. Molokai

The publications covers fit quite nicely here; I enjoy seeing them, reading your thoughtful and well-articulated discussion of them. Anyways, I am the one who created the tread.:cigar:

9. RICHARD Babcock

RICHARD Babcock Active Member

Looks to have had two stamps removed at some point on the right side

10. DonSellos

Hi Richard:

To what do you refer? Which item?

Don

11. DonSellos

Stamp Topics was a monthly published between 1925 - 1929. Its home was New York City, but some issues from its middle years were printed in Holton, Kansas. The American Philatelic Research Library classifies it as a journal, but this mailer, or wrapper, implies it was printed in a newspaper format that could be rolled for mailing. I have never seen a copy or even heard of it, but I'm glad to have this cover for my Philatelic Publications Collection.

Don

b128.jpg

Molokai, Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  12. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

1a.jpg
    Kind of stamp-dealer: Deutsche Post (Philatelic Service).
    Said to be (by volume) the biggest seller worldwide.

Molokai and DonSellos like this.
  13. DonSellos

Close enough! I like it. A colorful cover.

Don

14. Molokai

It would be fun to see some of these old 'short-termers' - I am sure every one of them started with the highest expectations!

DonSellos likes this.
  15. DonSellos

Another stamp publication cover from the small lot of them that I purchased, this one from Postal Markings. While the return address is Brooklyn, NY, the American Philatelic Research Library identifies this publication as a journal published in Staten Island, NY. It ran from October 1930 through July 1944. There is also a similar title published in Chicago. Difficult to tell which is which, maybe the same item, but I think the Staten Island paper is the correct one for this cover.

Kind of a bland cover with a hand stamped return address, franked with Sc. 724, the 1932 William Penn commemorative stamp and posted at Brooklyn's Flatbush Station on New Year's Eve. The addressee has an entry in both the 1935 and 1938 Blue Book of Philately where he is identified as a research chemist and collector who specialized in U.S., stampless covers, and cancellations.

The cover has a bonus for me with a seal of the International Postal Marking Society affixed to flap on the reverse making this also a Cinderella on Cover item.

Don

b145.jpg b146.jpg

anglobob, Molokai and Werner Salentin like this.
  16. Molokai

L.W. Hudson & Co. Moved from Plainfield N.J. to NS at some point in time. I see an ad for them in Plainfield, 1939...I can't quite make out the postmark on the cover.

SDC-LWHudson1.jpg

Sorry, cellphone pic. I shot my scanner.:dead:

Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  17. DonSellos

Maybe that cover was postmarked in the mid-1930 and their move was from NS to Plainfield? Regardless, a nice NS cover!

Don

Molokai likes this.
  18. Molokai

Rim shot! It is no wonder you are the one-and-only <StampDetective>!

19. DonSellos

Another stamp paper cover from the small lot I purchased, this one from one of the long-running periodicals. I have a few issues of Mekeel's, but none as early as this cover. They are still a good read. There is a North Adams, Massachusetts, receiving cancel on the reverse dated December 26, 1902.

I'm not much good at postal rates, but it seems odd that his cover was posted as second class mail. It is my understanding that second class mail was usually paid for newspapers or material that was time sensitive. Cheaper than 1st class, but more expensive than 3rd class. Any postal rate historians on the Exchange?

Don

b153.jpg

Molokai and Werner Salentin like this.
  20. Molokai

<Hoch> would know, but I haven't seen him here for awhile...

Draft saved Draft deleted