Stamp Dealer Covers

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Nov 6, 2017.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Another stamp dealer postal card, sent to an approval customer at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, about 65 miles south on I-44 from where I live. This one from Mystic Stamp Co., which I assume is the same Mystic that is still operating.

The card, asking about a shipment of approvals due to be returned soon, seems a little premature to me. The original Camden postmark is weak and obscured by the Ft. Sill cancel, but the latter is dated Sept 28, two days before the approval selection was to be returned. Maybe the customer had a record of slow returns.

I don't see many stamp dealers covers sent to active duty military personnel and that is the main reason I bought this card.

Don

b396.jpg b397.jpg

Molokai, Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Spiffy! (I see '95' Nassau...)

3. DonSellos

A recent acquisition of a cover transmitting a 1943 Collectors Handbook (price list of stamps & supplies) from stamp dealer Elmer Long featuring a cartoon cachet by artist John Coulthard.

Don

b47.jpg

Gunny and Molokai like this.
  4. Molokai

Doertenbach was a well-known collector if memory serves...

5. DonSellos

He has an entry in the 1938 Blue Book of Philately. it identifies him as a furrier, probably self-employed, and 71 years old in 1938, so he would have been around 76 when he received the above cover. President of the Pueblo stamp club in 1938 and claimed to have been interested in ornithology, perhaps he was a taxidermist as well. Just a generalist when it came to stamps. No specialties listed.

I may have another cover addressed to him. Don't remember for sure and I don't index addressees, a celebrity.

Don

Molokai likes this.
  6. Molokai

I think I have one to him, also.

7. DonSellos

A dealer to dealer Nassau Street cover from Meghrig & Sons at #116 to Monterey Stamp Co in Detroit. I don't think of Meghrig as a stamp dealer, but rather a seller of collecting supplies and accessories. I still use Merit Hinges by Meghrig when I can find them reasonably priced. Unfolded, but every bit as good as the famed Dennison. And then there is my trusty Meghrig Merit perf gauge that I have used for 50 years now.

Don

b50.jpg b48.jpg b49.jpg

Molokai likes this.
  8. Molokai

A cover I will, with your permission, use on the NS website. Accreditation to <TheStampDetective>.;)

9. Molokai

Eugene Costales. A well-known dealer and auctioneer in his time. He was the first editor of the Scott United States Specialized catalogue. Started his own company in 1932.

This appears to be my second Costales cover.

SDC-Costales1.jpg

SDC-Costales2.jpg

10. DonSellos

Permission granted. When may we see a sample of the website?

Don

Molokai likes this.
  11. Molokai

Dawn is working with a guru on some of the sticky points. I am hoping roll-out in August.

DonSellos likes this.
  12. Molokai

I've purchased several old postcards of Nassau Street in days-gone-by and also grabbed a few images off the Internet.

I am trying to reconstruct at least the skyline/outline of the NS buildings but not going too well. Anyone with ideas? I just emailed the NYC Public Library to see if they can point me to something.

Thank You,
    - Molokai

13. Molokai

Another furin Nassau Street cover. I think the stamps are the Philippines equivalent of US 596!:cigar:

SDC-CHAMBERS3-1.jpg

SDC-CHAMBERS3-2.jpg

Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  14. DonSellos

The Commonwealth period stamps have always been attractive to me. Tempted to start a collection of them, but I think some, especially the early ones and higher values, have gotten too expensive for me.

Re: the Chambers Stamp Co., I have a cover addressed to Chambers Stamp Journal, Kalamazoo, Michigan. Probably, not the same Chambers.

Don

15. DonSellos

I was rummaging in the shoe box earlier this week and came across this cover. Never heard of the General Stamp Company, but it is on the American Stamp Dealers Assoc., list of Nassau Street dealers. I. Tarkel listed as proprietor.

This cover is toned. Looks like it got put away with some highly acidic paper. I think it came to me in a lot of more obscure stamp dealers covers.

Don

b107.jpg

Molokai likes this.
  16. Molokai

Wowzer! I think I have someone else at 100 - but not General.

I still see you in a large room with dozens of shoe boxes up against the ceiling with a rope-and-pulley system as described in Nassau Street.:rolleyes:

17. RICHARD Babcock

RICHARD Babcock Active Member

18. RICHARD Babcock

stamp2.jpg Cover had the next two papers in it.

19. RICHARD Babcock

20. RICHARD Babcock

Draft saved Draft deleted