Stamp Dealer Covers

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

I don't know anything about RUMACK COMPANY other than the obvious - they were in 116 Nassau Street with many other dealers.

A rather plain cover save for the late (1957) usage of the 10c Map airmail (1926).

Images taken with phone; I'll post several more SDCs I recently purchased when my new printer/scanner is set up.

SDCrumack1.png

Attached Files:

Makanudo and DonSellos like this.
  2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Nice cover! Rumack is on the list with the name Leo Scarlett in parenthesis. That sounds familiar, but can't place him. Will have to look him up later.

Don

3. Molokai

Dealer to Dealer - Burger Bros to August Dietz of Confederates fame. Sorry for the shadow.

SDCburgerDietz.png

DonSellos likes this.
  4. Molokai

Wolf Pollack. I don't find anything on him save, perhaps, a book Turkish Post of the Holy Land by an F.W. Pollack. I am sure someone here can decipher the address?

SDCpollack.png

DonSellos, Hochstrasse and Makanudo like this.
  5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Hi Molokai!
    I believe the address acronym to mean:
    Government Property Administration - Theater Service Forces European Theater
    Army Post Office 887 c/o postmaster
    New York, New York

Molokai likes this.
  6. Molokai

Awesome! Thanks, <HOCH>

7. DonSellos

Hi Molokai:

I don't know anything about Wolf either, but I have a cover addressed to him at his Nassau St office. See post #164 above and Werner's comment on the cover.

Don

PS Nice Burger Bros cover!!

Molokai likes this.
  8. Molokai

Thank you <DON>. I have several Burger covers...at a couple different addresses; I'll have to look as is time to do Stamp Deal Covers inventory again. They must have had quite a mail business and correspondence. Herst in Nassau Street gives the impression they were somewhat isolated from the dealer community...

DonSellos likes this.
  9. DonSellos

Hi @Molokai:

Re: your Wolf Pollak cover above. Werner posted a Wolf P. cover way back in 2017, post #3 in Commercial Covers, 5/6/17. The cover below:

[​IMG]

Looks like Wolf got tired of the cold weather and moved to California!

Don

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  10. DonSellos

This is my most recent Nassau Street dealer's cover, Nassau Stamps Ltd at 118 Nassau Street. Tha ASDA list of Nassau dealers has Nassau Stamps owned and operated by J. Klemann. However, I'm not sure J. Klemann owned the store as early as 1920 when this cover was postmarked.

This is a diminutive cover measuring only 5 3/4" by 3". It was posted May 26, 1920. Stamped envelopes are out of my collecting field so I don't know the Scott number, maybe U277?

Don

b35.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Hochstrasse and Molokai like this.
  11. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Hi Don,
    I'm not a entire collector either, but having looked at the Scott catalog with the information at hand I think you have the number right, U277.

DonSellos likes this.
  12. DonSellos

I went to the annual stamp show at Grapevine, TX, last Friday and found a few things including this stamp dealer's cover from K. Lissiuk Philatelic Company, Inc. He is totally new to me. Never heard of him or seen any of his ads in stamp periodicals. It is an philatelic event cover as well, commemorating an event during the year-long George Washington Bicentennial celebration of 1932. The addressee has a listing in the 1938 Blue Book of Philately where his occupation is listed as manufacturer with collecting specialties of world-wide airmail and U.S. stamps and world-wide airmail covers. The cover is franked with two 1 1/2 cents from the 1932 George Washington Bicentennial set.

Don

b63.jpg

Hochstrasse, Molokai and anglobob like this.
  13. DonSellos

Another stamp dealer cover from the $1 box at the Grapevine stamp show, Nov 8, 2019. I have not heard or read of this dealer either, but it is an early cover (1901) at least for my collection.

Don

b72.jpg

Hochstrasse and Molokai like this.
  14. DonSellos

A new, to me, Iowa stamp dealer. His Seventh Avenue address is in a residential area of Council Bluffs and a Google Maps photo of the address shows a single-family dwelling still on site. That and the paste-on address label suggests he was a part-time mail order dealer operating out of his house. Given that the addressee is out-of-town further suggests that he was advertising somewhere, but I don't have any philatelic publications as early as 1925. There is a seal on the reverse advertising American Hinges, a bonus for my Cinderellas on Cover collection.

Don

b79.jpg b80.jpg

Molokai and anglobob like this.
  15. Molokai

A very nice cover and good sleuthing by <MrStamp>.

The Norse Americans are among my fav 20th C U.S. issues.

16. DonSellos

My latest stamp dealer's cover purchased from an eBay listing. This is one of those covers from one stamp dealer to another. The reverse of this cover has a return address from Afran Stamp Company in Manila, an "old line" dealer from pre-WW II in the Philippines. I have another cover somewhere from Afran, so it was the addressee at 65 Nassau Street, along with the aircraft on stamps theme that motivated me to bid on this item. It is a first-day cover to boot. I am tempted to place it in my Aircraft on Covers collection, but will probably add it to my Stamp Dealers collection and check off another on the ASDA Nassau Street dealers list. I notice, however, that George Herzog is listed at 68 Nassau Street on the ASDA list, not #65 as on this cover. I remain puzzled by covers like this one that are obviously prepared for collectors yet are from and to dealers. Was Herzog a collector that wanted this item for a personal collection, or did it carry stamps purchased by Herzog for resale and Afran's used the first-day opportunity to send the order in a registered first-day cover. Maybe it carried an offer to sell Herzog more of these stamps and covers at wholesale.

As an aside, Lt. Cesar Fernando Basa, the subject of the stamps and cover, was the first fighter pilot of the Filipino Air Force to be killed in WW II. The aircraft, on the stamps and in the cachet, is a not-the-best rendering of a Boeing P-26A, Boeing's last fighter aircraft design. It's performance was no match for the Japanese Zeros.

Don

b96.jpg b97.jpg

Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  17. DonSellos

Another cover from the stamp club meeting last week, this one from the Franciscan Assumption Seminary in Chaska, Minnesota. I suspect the Franciscans were selling stamp mixtures from clippings of incoming mail and this cover carried a price list to a potential customer. The cover has a little added value in that it is was canceled on the Minneapolis & Sioux City Highway Post Office, Trip 12. However, given the philatelic nature of the cover, the cancel would be considered by most collectors as a favor cancel. That's okay. I don't collect HPOs and this cover is destined for my Stamp Dealers cover collection. I looked on the internet and the seminary is no longer in operations. The friars sold it in 1970.

Don

b115.jpg

anglobob likes this.
  18. DonSellos

Another first-day cover addressed to a stamp dealer. The 1st days addressed to stamp dealers puzzle me. Was the proprietor a first-day cover collector? I doubt that a cover addressed as this one is would have sold readily to first-day cover collectors of 1940. That time period was the beginning of the unaddressed cover preference.

Harrison Stamp Company is unknown to me, but I have added this cover to my dealers collection for its post rider cachet. There were two first-day cities for the Pony Express stamp of 1940, St. Joseph, MO and Sacramento, CA. St Joseph was starting point for westbound mail and Sacramento the departure point for eastbound letters. St. Joseph had the most first-day cancels. Cancels from neither city are scarce.

Don

b119.jpg

Molokai likes this.
  19. Molokai

Nice card, great write-up!

20. Molokai

I don't typically collect stamped envelopes, but I thought this cover was interesting - and the price was right.

There is a Chas Schuler in the 1880 NYC Directory, noted as dealing in stamps. Perhaps our resident sleuth <DONSELLOS> can find something.

SDCmetro.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted