Stamp Dealer Covers

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Nov 6, 2017.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

I don't have one from Boca Raton. and maybe only one from Nassau Street. Most of mine are from Shrub Oak.

Don

2. DonSellos

It never gets old! Harry, I'm hoping you, or at least your stamp collection, are on high ground. Sounds like the Houston area is getting more than its share of rain again.

Don

3. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

I ditched school in 10th grade to read it the first time. I think I also ditched to reader Mueller's United States Stamps. I guess I was a naughty boy...

4. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Thanks Don,
    Yes, our home is located on a rare Houston 'hill' just a block from one of the main Bayous that empties into the Houston Ship channel.(Brays) We received 4.33" here at the house in 9 hours, but all was high & dry.
    About 5p yesterday, I drove over to Burger King for a Whopper & noticed many out walking their dogs or just walking over to the bridge, checking it out.
    RE: 'Nassau street' My hardback is the 1960 1st Edition. I also purchased a 1993 Herst paperback, 'Still More Stories to Collect Stamp By', but did not find it as engaging as 'Nassau Street'
    Regards, to one & all,
    Harry
    P.S Will be posting scan of Burundi Wild Life Org. Set shortly.

Molokai likes this.
  5. Molokai

Happy to hear you are high-and-dry! The current Newspaper stamps guru is down your way and apparently was hit hard last time; dunno about this storm, League City.

I agree, the 'Story' books aren't nearly as memorable as Nassau Street. I sensed a tad of bitterness in them, also...

Harry Golightly and DonSellos like this.
  6. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Interesting, I agree, but I also picked up just a 'whiff' of misogyny in his 'Nassau Street' as well.
    Perhaps women were different in the 1950's w/ respect to their husband's hobbies.
    Still a very entertaining read, otherwise I wouldn't have read it so many times.
    HG

Molokai and DonSellos like this.
  7. Molokai

Everything was different in the 1950s. As to attitudes towards women - just go to YouTube and look at some of the commercials from that era.

DonSellos and Harry Golightly like this.
  8. DonSellos

We were all a little chauvinistic in those days. My wife has corrected my attitude over the years.:blackeye:

Don

9. DonSellos

A recent acquisition is this preprinted return envelope to the Grace Stamp Company that contained auction bids from a collector in Florida. I collected it for its Nassau Street address. The cover is franked with two imperf 3 cents stamps cut from the 1934 souvenir sheet issued for the American Philatelic Society's annual convention and exhibition held in Atlantic City, New Jersey, Sc. 750. An oddity on the cover is the cancel in which the canceling device's date slug was inserted upside down and backwards.

Don

aaab2.jpg

Molokai likes this.
  10. Molokai

Nice! I don't believe I have a Grace. I purchased a couple NS covers; when they arrive, I will post. I'd love to see the NYC directories for 1910s-1950s, get the full lowdown on Whos-Who on Nassau Street.

DonSellos likes this.
  11. DonSellos

Yes, me too! It looks like Grace had a suite of rooms. Must have been a sizable operation.

At one time, late 1930s I believe, Stamps Magazine ran a series of brief descriptions of stamp dealers in NYC, owners, specialties, etc. I took notes but can't find them, neither can I find my checklist of Nassau Street dealers. Too much accumulated stuff.

Don

12. Molokai

Is this the list aforementioned <DON>? If another would love to see it also, of course!

https://www.stampexchange.com/threads/stamp-dealers-covers.4807/#post-40339

DonSellos likes this.
  13. DonSellos

Molokai:

Yes, that is the checklist I was thinking of. Thanks for digging it up again. Prior to finding it, I was making a list of dealers from ads in stamp periodicals. The one above is much better. I just printed it out, but the listings are a little fuzzy. Probably need to go back to the magazine article. I may have to use the APRL to get a decent copy of it.

Here is another Nassau Street cover that I recently purchased. Max Bloch was a well known dealer, but not ever on the Street that I know of. Somewhere I read a news item (in an old magazine) that Bloch teamed up around 1940 with Fritz Billig, an Austrian refugee from the 3rd Reich .

Here's the cover from Bloch addressed to the American Stamp Dealers Association, Nassau Street tenant number 3 on the list. An early January posting, perhaps, it carried a dues payment for the year.

From my above post:

I was just perusing a 1939 issue of Stamps, March 25, 1939, pages 401-402, and came across the article entitled "The Stamp Dealers of New York." It is short, but includes a picture of Herman Herst at work in his store. I seem to remember this was an on-going series of short articles. There must be more before this issue and perhaps some after it. If you have a copy of this Stamps take a look at it. I would scan it and post here, but my issue is bound in the first six months of 1939 and heavy as all get out. I'm afraid a scan will damage the spine. Gosh, Stamps was such a great magazine back then. It is still fascinating to read.

Don

aaab2.jpg

Hochstrasse and Molokai like this.
  14. Molokai

Some of the old-timers moved around on Nassau Street...I have three separate NS addresses for Burger & Co. The famous 'Burger Brothers' of Herst's book, of 'Mary's Baby' fame...

DonSellos likes this.
  15. Jerryakatz

Jerryakatz New Member

FDC pioneer Henry Hammelman owned the Pioneer Stamp Co. at 116 Nassau Street, #816, from 1935 to 1950. Attached is the cover to his 1935 price list pioneer cat.jpg . He never updated it.

DonSellos likes this.
  16. DonSellos

Hi Jerry:

Interesting item. Also interesting is that the ASDA list missed him. I'm going to pencil him on to the Nassau Street dealers noted above and watch for one of his covers on eBay. Thanks for posting his catalog.

Don

17. Molokai

I just thumbed through a couple STAMPS for 1938 looking for a Pioneer advert, but no luck. There were quite a few dealers who came-and-went on Nassau Street during the Golden Age. Here are a few I saw, none of whom I currently have covers if memory serves: Ed Buser, Jr 87 NS, M. Herbert & Co 80 NS, Wakonda Stamp Co 71 NS, Eugene N. Costales 99 NS, Spencer Anderson 65 NS, Cosmophilatelist 119 NS, Wm Handshaw 66 NS, M. Mehgrig & Sons 116 NS, Lesgor & Reel 80 NS... I guess I still have a ways to go! :nailbiting: I also saw an advert for H.C. Barr. I purchased from them in the 1960s and have a cover from that era. Are they still in business?

DonSellos likes this.
  18. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Hi Molokai!
    I found an obit on the APS site:
    Hugh C. Barr
    (1878 – June 9, 1960) New York City

[​IMG]
    Barr was a well-known and widely respected dealer and auctioneer. He entered the stamp business in 1900 and had his first stamp auction in 1931. During the next 25 years he held 166 auction sales.

Among his most noted sales were four parts of the Col. E.H.R. Greeen collection, one of which included the famous Match and Medicine collection of Clarence Eagle. Barr also sold the major part of the philatelic estate of Percy Doane.

Barr was an active member of the ASDA, and supported its participation in the international philatelic exhibitions in 1926, 1936 (TIPEX), and 1947 (CIPEX). After he sold his business in 1956, Barr continued as a philatelic consultant and advisor.
    https://classic.stamps.org/HOF-1960

Molokai and DonSellos like this.
  19. Molokai

Thank You <HOCH>! The company had some large auctions as I recall. I imagine the name was changed somewhere along the line/merged, etc.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  20. Jerryakatz

Jerryakatz New Member

1918 ham ffc.jpg Here is an interesting Government 101 FFC from May 15, 1918. It's in Henry Hammelman's handwriting and is addressed to the J. Murray Bartels Co. on Nassau Street. Hammelman was then working in the Dead Letter office of the Post Office Department in Washington, DC and was spending free hours helping out at the stamp store of the prominent dealer H. F. Colman in that city. It would be another 17 years before Hammelman would open his own dealership at 116 Nassau Street. Scott C3 guru Joe Kirker believes the cover with its block of six is unique for that day and that the cover may not exist today.

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted