Stamp Collecting Terms

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Steve Robinson, Mar 5, 2012.

1. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Yes, there are still lots to wonder about stamps. :)

2. wahmbrenda

wahmbrenda New Member

Thanks for posting this. I did find quite a few terms in there that I didn't know existed. I'm not a novice here but still learning and this site is a great help.

Steve Robinson and zararina like this.
  3. basmae

basmae New Member

Very useful link! Thank you for sharing it.

4. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

Conservation is a science in and of itself; I know, I worked in museums. I have posted hits and warnings in various threads. You should take a look. Of course, asking is always encouraged if you don't find what you want to know :)

Welcome to the philatelic world :)

zararina likes this.
  5. Tersuss

Tersuss Active Member

I'm only new to stamp collecting, I literally thought it was just a case of collecting stamps and placing them in a book to check on when ever it suited, I never knew that there were terms and so on for stamps and the like. Seems to me that I have a lot to learn.

6. zararina

I have also learned a lot from here and continuously learning more about stamps. :)

7. Tersuss

Tersuss Active Member

Same as that, I must say I feel somewhat ignorant of this hobby now to be honest, that is until now.

8. Manny

Manny New Member

Haha, that's great. I don't really know any terminology but that's one that I'd use for sure.

9. Tersuss

Tersuss Active Member

That "NBG" is a brilliant one, I must say I love it.

10. mameeker

mameeker New Member

Thanks for sharing a link for beginners such as myself!

11. Tersuss

Tersuss Active Member

Isn't it good, I quite like learning new things, I never knew there were so many new terms.

12. ursell

ursell Member

Don't damage the old stamps because you could be missing out on a lot of money but some old stamps that are damage could mess up a lot of good good memories but, keep your old or new stamps safe.

13. Tersuss

Tersuss Active Member

How do you mean you could be out on a lot of money, is it possible to sell the stamps at a later point in time.

14. Manny

Manny New Member

Is that referring to an animal nibbling your stamps? Because I have a great story about how one of my friends lost their most valuable stamp to a rat infestation. He told me after the fact the stamp was worth 500$.

15. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

No, but it should be!

16. zararina

Great to read again something from you tu7. :D
    A $500 worth stamp needs a really secured place. ;)

tu7 likes this.
  17. Tersuss

Tersuss Active Member

Sorry for going off topic, but how much for a stamp, that is incredibly expensive for a stamp, how old would it have to be for it to accrue a price tag like that?

18. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

You might find it enlightening to look up stamp auctions to see some of the prices realized on stamps :) They might well surprise you LOL

19. zararina

Yes, search some auctions, some stamps worth there can even go beyond your imagination. P

Steve Robinson likes this.
  20. Tersuss

Tersuss Active Member

I had gone to an auction to sell some old night stand and there was a lot which had glass encased stamps which looked rather old, the sold for 3 grand, I almost had a heart attack.

Steve Robinson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted