Stamp Collecting Ephemera

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by DonSellos, Feb 9, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

While searching for some missing covers I turned up my Ivory Stamp Club of the Air stuff. The Ivory Stamp Club was an amazing success, perhaps, unmatched in stamp marketing. There are a couple editions of the album with different covers. The albums were printed on very acidic paper and are getting fragile so I can't scan any of the inside pages. I have the club pin, but still lack an example of the membership card.

Any other ephemera collectors on the forum?

Don

aaa2.jpg aaa.jpg aaa3.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Makanudo, anglobob and Molokai like this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Cool stuff! I don't collect but if I saw something interesting at a price I'd probably jump.
    Ralph Kimble author of Commemorative Stamps of the United States had a weekly radio show on WMAQ which, according to the back-flap of the book, had a large following. I wonder if he organized a club as did Captain Tim?

3. Molokai

I certainly hope you used Ivory soap as Captain Tim asks in this new member letter!

CapTainTim.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  4. DonSellos

Great item! I've not seen this letter before. Got to find one of these to round out my Ivory Stamp Club memorabilia. Thanks for posting it.

I do seem to remember seeing some Ivory Soap in the house when I was a kid (probably the mid-1940s). Also remember my mother using Ivory Soap Flakes in the washing machine.

Don

Molokai likes this.
  5. DonSellos

Molokai:

Kimble was an interesting guy. I've accumulated a few of his covers and some collateral publicity items he published. Here's a cover with his photograph and reference to his "The Stamp Man" radio show.

I have not seen any references to a club that might have formed, but according to his son he replied faithfully to the large correspondence from his radio program followers.

Don

aaa.jpg

Molokai likes this.
  6. DonSellos

Here's another piece of stamp collecting memorabilia that I picked up -- a stamp collecting kit from the 1930s. I imagine items like this were popular birthday and Christmas gifts for kids. Love the art deco art on the box!

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Makanudo likes this.
  7. Molokai

Nice! I've seen one or two of those on eBay (Kimble Cards), guess I'll have to pick one up sometime, also a Captain Tim pin - is it to late to join the club?:bucktooth:

Kimble's writing, as exemplified by the essays in the Commemorative book, is truly excellent and quite lovely. So far has the English language fallen...

What don't you have, Don! I guess the closest thing to a collectable for me would be a mint Scott's National album circa 1965. Soon after I purchased it I decided to specialize in the Blackjack and large Bank Notes...I also had Scott's Japan and Russia/USSR but they must have gotten tossed somewhere along the line.

Love the artwork, also! I have a collection of AMT model car kits from the late 1950s to the early 1960s and know some boomers collect them just for the box art.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    DonSellos likes this.
  8. DonSellos

Molokai:

Sometimes the packaging art work is more collectable than the product within. I miss the commercial art that appeared in the magazines and on packaging of the 1930s, 1940s, & even into the 1950s. Photography is amazing, but the art stimulated the imagination.

It must have been unsettling for commercial artists in the 1940s and 50s to see photography steadily replace their work.

Don

Makanudo and Molokai like this.
  9. Molokai

Indeed, those old covers were quite captivating. Similar the television drama series' from the 1950s all in black & white. Playhouse 90, Armstrong Circle Theater, Loretta Young Presents. I remember watching Requiem for a Heavyweight (Jack Palance) and being spellbound. The things they could do with B & W! 'Speak, Memory.'

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 2:50 PM
    DonSellos likes this.
  10. DonSellos

Yes, and many of those early TV dramas were broadcast live. not prerecorded..

Don

Makanudo and Molokai like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted