Stamp Albums - Question for the Experts

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

OK. I have 26 stamp dealer covers and a couple in transit. I suppose it may be time to put them in some kind of album/display.

Suggestions for albums (brands, types), display ideas, pages, mounting, descriptions/text? I am thinking of having a photo of each dealer (those I can find) with the cover...

Showgard mounts? Can they be purchased in sheets or such as the covers are of varied sizes. Pages? Perhaps blank or just with borders. I would like to do my own descriptions but my handwriting (even printed) is almost illegible. Software to build my own pages? That would be ideal.

Any ideas, tips appreciated. As I complete a page or two I will show them on StampExchange.

Thanks!

Makanudo likes this.
  2. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello Molokai,

upload_2016-11-11_20-48-0.png

The pages are available in a number of formats, available in black or clear (for displaying front and rear) to suit all collections. the prefix S = Schwarze = Black and C = clear
    In a previous post I mentioned that I received a new supply of 20 d/s pages, from EBay costing us$ 16.94 inclusive of postage.

Regards, James

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Makanudo and Molokai like this.
  3. Molokai

Awesome! Thank you, James.

4. James-2489

Hello all,

I had a problem displaying my UK collection of FDCs, the envelopes are much longer than standard envelopes. I eventually found a few A3 Binders, approximately 18" tall 13" wide and 3" thick (A3 paper size is about 17" by 11") with a display width of about 10" plus the inside ring margin. I made my own pages from polymer sheet with heat welded pockets for the FDCs. The polymer sheet was supplied and guillotined by a friend in the print, after many (failed) experiments with scrap; I managed to perfect the welding method for the pockets. Originally slip-in labels were used, later; self adhesive labelling was added for information.

Regards, James.

Molokai likes this.
  5. James-2489

Hello Molokai, for title and layout pages I use Excel (or a similar spreadsheet) You can select a "Page layout area" of say 10 columns and 40-60 rows to suit your preferences. I save the Basic layout locations (Title or Country Name, Country info, dates and currencies). Borders and or grid, Grid usually in pale grey. The basic page can be saved as a "Template". Using the master template(s) as a base, any text can be added in "Text Boxes" which you can drag&drop anywhere.
    It is extremely easy to create very presentable annotated album pages.

Regards, James.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  6. Molokai

Great ideas and help, James! Many thanks.

I looked at something called AlbumGen from ezstamp.com to custom design pages, but think a little more work than I can afford to take on the project. Your ideas fit much better.:)

James-2489 and DonSellos like this.
  7. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

I downloaded the trial version of AlbumGen and found it too difficult for my level of computer expertise. Still using my old Album Pro program which is no longer sold or supported.

Don

8. James-2489

Hello all, I have just downloaded a copy of Album pro from:
    http://www.albumpro.ca/en/software-download/

If you decide to use this programme , remember to save the activation code.
    TO ACTIVATE THE SOFTWARE, use this activation key: (14 digit Alfa-numeric code)

I found it quite easy to use, the pages below took about 15 minutes to design, the text grabbed from excel & word. (the red and yellow flags for text errors that I did not bother to correct) No bugs or problems found, this is a (compressed) screen image of my test page.

upload_2016-11-15_10-32-24.png

Although I found the programme easy to use, I think that I prefer to continue using Excel for my layouts, many years of use and I've got it how I like it.

Regards, James.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Makanudo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted