South African stamp with us postage

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by tasha, Jun 24, 2015.

1. tasha

tasha Active Member

I found this one online and thought it strange as it is South Africa obviously with the flag and it must have been for the world cup but it is a us postage, does anyone know about these?

Attached Files:

• goal.jpg
      goal.jpg
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Philbeaux

Philbeaux Member

3. tasha

tasha Active Member

Why would they do that? But yes that doesn't make sense and I really cant seem to find anything to tell me what it is so perhaps someone has just photo shopped the stamp.

4. Philbeaux

Philbeaux Member

5. tasha

tasha Active Member

Oh I just looked at that now, thank you for this, it was bothering me!!! That's a fun way to send a package.

6. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

It is on zazzle which personalize stamps were made. :)

7. Philbeaux

Philbeaux Member

You know, some philatelic organizations or businesses could really take advantage of something like this.
    Could you see the APS or some other stamp club using customized stamps? How collectable do you think they would be?
    And I also wonder about copyrighted material on them. What are the limits?

Really - How cool would the British Guiana on a personal stamp be?

8. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

I think the costs of licensing, equipment and security measures would be too cost prohibitive for even the APS let alone any other philatelic businesses. When we look at the market there are very few USPS approved vendors. I can think of only three: Zazzle, Endicia and Stamps.com. Stamps.com and Endicia are considering a merger. Even USPS, which did customized stamps, stopped doing that. Although I think it would be neat to create my own customized stamp as you point out there are copyright issues. The market for customized stamps has some track record. They have been around long enough for me to believe that there is not enough collector interest to warrant collecting them. I'm sure there are others who are fascinated with the technological aspects and history/development of new methods of endicia that find collecting these sorts of stamps worthwhile.

9. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Thanks for answering Hoch. :)
    It is easy to just grab and copy something online so, that most probably the reason why those stamps bear the "zazzle" on it. Although that could still be copied by someone who have knowledge of doing it.
    I also do not think that a lot have been using customized stamps now even with the technology. There are various stamps released by various postal office targeting the collectors and attract more interests.

10. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Sort of like the stretched and stamped pennies: they are everywhere, you don't really know (and no one really does know) how many different varieties there are out there.

But that put aside, the sense of discovery when you find a 'new' one transcends the normality of the collecting as an end to a means... it is never ending!

11. Hochstrasse

I've seen the machines around but never knew that they were such a collecting niche. I took a quick look on Ebay and found a slew of elongated pennies with stamps of all sorts of things. There must be lots of collectors of these pennies. Quite interesting!

12. SATX Collector

They even make display style clear protector pages with 1" by about 2-1/2" pockets to store them in so you can see both sides!

Hochstrasse likes this.
  13. Hochstrasse

I saw a few of those pages on Ebay. A collector can literally fill up pages and binders of these elongated pennies! I'm wondering how prevalent this collecting niche is?

14. SATX Collector

Not sure as I don't collect them myself. But every time I see a machine, I see a couple of folks dropping in change to get one. Whether there is a "world-wide network of stretched penny collectors" I am totally (thankfully) oblivious. I believe I "inherited" a couple when I bought an auction lot of coins but I didn't get the spark (or the urge) to pursue...

15. Hochstrasse

I remember as a child stretching and imprinting one. I held onto it for a number of years, but eventually lost track of it. I agree with your comment about being thankfully unaware of the collector community, I was just curious. Out of literally scores of things to collect it would be low on my list.

16. SATX Collector

True to that! I also collect coins somewhat seriously (only to the point of having date continuity, but I do go back a ways...) and SHUDDER to think that some unknowing person took a 1922 penny and squished it!!!

Hochstrasse likes this.
  17. Hochstrasse

As a coin collector myself that's probably why that penny stretching thing never resonated with me. Then again there's all those love tokens, jewelry and belt buckles that have old silver coins, Indian gold Eagles and Bust dollars incorporated in them.

18. SATX Collector

Have a couple of brothers who are friends of mine and last name 'Nickel'... I can't tell you how many times I shake my head looking at the coins they have made into belt buckles and the like. But that just means that many more out of circulation and mine MIGHT be worth a little more... ;)

19. Hochstrasse

True enough SATX Collector. I suppose I'm rigid in my appreciation of those sorts of things, but some jewelry and love tokens incorporating coins can be quite striking and highly collectible. The coin in it's original state is what I can appreciate and would rather have.

20. Jehovahnissi

Jehovahnissi Member

I've seen a couple of these and was confused as well. I love the colors though.

Draft saved Draft deleted