South African rare stamps

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by tasha, Jun 23, 2015.

1. tasha

tasha Active Member

This rare stamp was created in the beginning before the Dutch settlers arrived.

Attached Files:

Hochstrasse likes this.
  2. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello Tasha, I think your stamp was issued between 1910-1913.
    Your stamp has King George V and Queen Mary images.
    KGV Reigned from 6 May 1910 until his death on 20 January 1936.

I think that this is the first issue of the British South Africa Company stamps issued in 1890, Before the name Rhodesia was added.
    upload_2015-6-23_21-45-38.png

Regards, James

tasha likes this.
  3. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

If it is yours and in good condition it would still be a very good stamp to have.

4. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Lets not forget there was Southern and Northern Rhodesia, Rhodesia & Nyasaland before Rhodesia.
    In fact Africa below the equator is a philatelic cauldron of rarities - from the Witu issue to the Cape of Good Hope triangulars.

James-2489 and Hochstrasse like this.
  5. James-2489

Hello, if you find one of these 1853 Cape Triangulars in your local bring and buy.. buy it at any price. Value about $40,000 per stamp in this condition.
    I have a used one but in quite poor condition.
    upload_2015-6-24_9-15-15.png
    Regards, James

SATX Collector and zararina like this.
  6. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Those are pricey stamps. What is the approximate value if it is poor condition then?

7. tasha

tasha Active Member

I have spotted one of those before and what a nice price for a stamp. Rhodesia is part of Africa and not South Africa but they are neighbours.

8. James-2489

Hello Z, difficult to estimate, possibly around $250? all three margins are there and it has a medium weight cancellation but the stamp looks dirty not crisp. closer to red-brown than red.
    James

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  9. tasha

tasha Active Member

I think it is nice to have a stamp that is worth something, pity you don't have it in the mint condition but would you sell it if you did?

10. James-2489

Hello Tasha, Yes, for $40,000 I would sell, It's enough to build us a new larger home near here and put about $20,000 in the bank and then rent this house out for a little income.

Regards, James.

SATX Collector and Philactica like this.
  11. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Poor condition - what does it mean ?
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - so is 'poor condition'.
    A definition would vary between collectors.
    A good 'filler' is in poor condition normally trades at very small fraction of value.
    So getting a good 'looker' of an uncommen Cape triangular for $20 is also not too uncommon.

What is uncommon is top class triangulars, only found in museums, some in Stamp Exhibitions and relative less in a few private collections.

12. tasha

tasha Active Member

Wow that would be great!! Its sad sometimes when there is a little flaw and it takes away the value of something that could be worth a fortune.

13. zararina

Agree that it depends on the eye of the collector. That is why on auction sites, some still have high value even it can already considered as poor condition. :)

14. tasha

tasha Active Member

I have found some of the auction sites really steal your items and you end up with nothing for them. It is often best to just keep the item as it is worth more in your drawer than in your pocket

15. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Had NO IDEA of the value but I have seen these before in a collection a friend of mine had. He and I used to trade early US, long before I was trading World Wide...

16. SATX Collector

My mother used to tell me (and I exercised the option more than once!! Latest one was some land in Florida I held during the land rush there): if you have something of value that someone is willing to pay for, and you have a dream that requires a financial 'boost' -- what good does it do to hang on to an asset when the asset can fund your dream?

James-2489 likes this.
  17. zararina

Sounds a good advice. Specially if your dreams does not include keeping that asset forever. :D

18. SATX Collector

Absolutely correct Zararina! I bought the land when I was first drafted into the military... I started making a whopping $307 per month, had all my 'clothes' (uniforms) paid for, and didn't have a clue what to do with all my money. So I bought some land in Florida! but it was never my intent to stay there.

James-2489 likes this.
  19. Jehovahnissi

Jehovahnissi Member

I think historical stamps are up there at the top of my list of favorite types of stamps. I love collecting these types and the animals. :smug:

Draft saved Draft deleted